Putting my P-Rails curiosity on the backburner...

I'm in a rare situation where I'm sitting on a little bit of money. I need a new set of pickups, because that Gibson/BKP set I have is just not working out for me, in more ways than just how they sound. I was going to get a set of EMGs and call it a day, but I'm thinking I want something a little different now, since the new guitar I'm saving for will have EMG's as well.

So for my H, I want something a little different. It has a mahogany body, maple neck and a maple veneer.

The things I know for sure: I want Seymour Duncans. I'm going to put a '59 in the neck. What I'm not sure about is what to put in the bridge. I'm pretty much down to two: The Custom, and the Distortion.

I'm looking for something that will pair nicely with the 59. I know the Custom does, but does the Distortion? The most important thing I'm looking for is "openness" - something sort of airy compared to EMG's. But at the same time, I'm also looking for clarity.

Whereas EMGs are really tight, retained, and clerical, I'm looking for something a little more... wild and aggressive. This H is pretty much my backup guitar now, which is why I want to go passive - I want it to be absolutely reliable and infallible, not something reliant on a battery.

I guess the TL;DR of what I'm trying (and failing) to say is I want something that can kick ass and take names like an EMG, but can also loosen up and be a little more carefree when it wants to.

Sorry for the completely contradictory demands, but... halp?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Dec 15, 2011,
I'd recommend a hot PAF style pickup. It's not the ballsy-est pickup available but it can still produce great high gain sounds. It'll be different then EMG's or anything similar but if you're getting a guitar with EMG's eventually anyway it'll be a nice change to give your overall rig some versatility.

I'd say something like the Custom 5 if you want to go the seymour duncan route.
Bumpity.

Who wants to give a regular some advice?

Some stuff ending on ebay tomorrow. So yeah.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
SH-4 JB. Undoubtedly the most timeless and best pair SD to go with the '59 (at least I think so). The SH-6 Distortion is way overrated.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I really don't like the JB.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
in all reality just about everything will go well with the 59 in the neck. The 59 is such an all around pickup it will mesh extremely well with the distortion and the custom.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Does anyone have any experience with the Custom/Custom 5/Custom Custom? I'm having a hard time finding good descriptions of their differences.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X