Hey guys so I recently did a mix with drums for the first time and I was wondering what you guys think of it. I'm still a pretty basic beginner at recording and mixing so I'm not sure how it sounds to those with "trained" ears haha. Anyways, I actually made two versions because I thought the guitars on the first version were too loud but then I kinda made the guitars in the second version a bit too soft I think haha.

Here's the links:

http://soundcloud.com/mr-potato-1/harder-to-breathe-instrumental

http://soundcloud.com/mr-potato-1/harder-to-breathe-instrument
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Pretty good overall. I'm not a huge fan of the drum tones themselves, but they're mixed pretty well. The snare doesn't really hit all that hard which takes away from the punch of the guitar/bass riff, so if you find a tighter, punchier snare I think your overall sound will improve.

Also the drum performance could be a little bit more driving. It sounds like the drummer might be half asleep (although I think you made them with addictive drums?). It's amazing how much a mix can improve when the performance is spot on.

And the guitars sound mixed better in version 2! (solo might be a little much though)
Solid first attempt!
I (still, after everything) believe in Billy Corgan.
Quote by MoFly41
Pretty good overall. I'm not a huge fan of the drum tones themselves, but they're mixed pretty well. The snare doesn't really hit all that hard which takes away from the punch of the guitar/bass riff, so if you find a tighter, punchier snare I think your overall sound will improve.

Also the drum performance could be a little bit more driving. It sounds like the drummer might be half asleep (although I think you made them with addictive drums?). It's amazing how much a mix can improve when the performance is spot on.

And the guitars sound mixed better in version 2! (solo might be a little much though)
Solid first attempt!

Yea, it's kinda hard getting the right volume levels and tones with some cheapo studio headphones (I don't have studio monitors at the moment). I actually did all the drum through midi through Addictive Drums on my Electronic Drumset and I actually wanted to add more things in such as a different high-hat hit rate but the Edrums wouldn't register it so I couldn't really do a lot of fancy stuff. But, I will try to improve the snare. I thought it was a bit off as well.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Agreed, the snare needs to go. It sounds like it was miced really far away. Too much room sound on that snare for my liking. Needs something with less snare sound and more pop, it doesn't cut through the mix very well.

The hi-hat sound is also too clanky for my liking, and sound too fake to me because of it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com