Ok... I tried to find the answer to this before making a new thread... but the pedalboard thread is 662 pages today... so bear with me...

Reverb pedal... (My amp doesn't have onboard Reverb)

In the effects loop, or in the chain between the guitar and the amp?

I've tried both places, but it really doesn't sound any different.. well, in my studio (AKA the garage)

Any insight? personal preferences? etc...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
The pedalboard thread is really just for discussing grades at university.

Its personal preference. If you don't notice a difference then I'd say up front because it saves you a cable.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
The idea is that you put it in the loop (which puts it after the preamp) so the preamp isn't distorting the reverberated signal, which can become muddy fast. Same with delay, chorus, phasers, etc.

However, it's all personal preference at the end of the day. I'd put it in the loop but that's just me. Experiment a bit!
I tend to like keeping my delays and reverbs in the FX loop, just so that my amp's eq occurs before the reverb and not after it, but it doesn't make that huge of a difference. Unless you're extremely picky about tone, I'd suggest keeping it in front of the amp, especially if you're just playing at home.
Quote by toyboxmonster
especially if you're just playing at home.

Well, theres the rub...

Just got the "New to me" amp 3 weeks ago, and, beleive it or not... at 47 years of age, and playing at least semi pro for 30 years... this is the first amp I've owned that not only doesn't have on board reverb, but, it's the first amp I've owned with an effects loop.

I'm gigging with it tomorrow night, and while it sounds pretty good in my garage (a 20'X20' carpeted space) how's it going to carry in a larger space, at a higher volume. (hard to check for me) so, I'm lookin' for folks in the know...

I run the amp clean and get my distortion from pedals... I'm gonna stop before I sound more like a noob than I already do...

If there's not going to be a drastic difference, or muddy it up in the effects loop, I'll leave it there with the chorus and delay..

Thanks for the Input guys..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
I don't gig but I'd put it in the loop, especially with your circumstances. Think about it. You are at your gig running Reverb at the end of distortion pedal(s) before your signal even hits the amp. Not good me thinks. If I'm not mistaken, most amps with Reverb built in have the reverb circuit AFTER the preamp circuit so yeah....put it in the loop.

Reverb as an effect is supposed to mimic the sound wave reverberations off the walls and such in the room (environment) that you are in - similar to delay.
Modulation (chorus, flanger, etc.) and time-based (verb, delay, etc.) effects should always go in the FX loop. It's not required, but it usually sounds better if done that way. Especially if you are using a decent bit of drive.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
If I'm not mistaken, most amps with Reverb built in have the reverb circuit AFTER the preamp circuit so yeah....put it in the loop.

THAT... makes perfect sense..

Thanks again folks... I've learned my something new for today...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
If you run your amp clan and use stomp boxes for distortion, there isn't a noticeable difference. Just make sure your reverb is after your stomp box in your signal chain.
If you're using pedals for od and distortion it should be more than fine running the reverb out front after your dirts.

Hell, I run everything into the front end after trying it both ways and not hearing much of a difference. I have 1 clean single channel amp and another multichannel gain monster.

There's no right way to do it. Check out some pro rigs(with pretty respected tone) and you'll see that there's all sorts of way to route your pedals through your amp.