Hi,

I am a beginner about to purchase my first electric guitar.
I have been playing acoustic for half a year or so (still so much to learn).

I want a guitar that will last me a lifetime.
Basically, a very good guitar that I will not outgrow at least in the foreseeable future.
Price is an issue, that is why I want to get it right in the first round.
I am wondering what kind of guitars should I consider.
Budget should be less than a 1000 EUR.
I like a lot of things from Floyd, Hedrix, to Led Zep and Nitvana etc.

Thanks
Epiphone, Ibanez, ESP, Fender, Maybe some lower end Gibsons, Jackson, used Charvels, A local luthier could build one to your specs, and maybe just browse some odd brands. It's about you and your liking in the end. Don't rush into buying a Guitar!!!

Be sure to do some research on the hardware and wood in the end too!
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Well, I will say that you should save a lot of your money. Don't go very expensive because you may find out you don't like it much (this probably won't be the case, but better safe than sorry). Put most of the budget into an amp, not the guitar. Buy a decent guitar and I suggest getting a modeling amp, specifically the Peavey Vypyr. It can get you virtually any sound you want. It may be a little intimidating to someone new to the game, but it is well worth the money. Whatever you do, just remember that most of your sound is from the amp, and that should be where most of the money goes to.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
PRS SE Single cut trem 577 euros,VOX VT80+ 309 Euros at thomann
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Made in mexico strats are decent, and you'll have money left over for an amp. modeling amps are cool but the sound is in your amp. i would buy a good used guitar and spend more on an amp. peavey does make great starter amps and the modeling ones are cool because you get to experiment with a lot of effects, but you could always go look for a used amp. it all comes down to your taste in music, if you don't want effects and multiple sounds you can find older marshall combos, or even a peavey tube amp for cheap. i would shop around. ibanez also makes great guitars that last. any guitar will last a long time if you take care of it and keep it set up properly and keep fresh strings on it.
Damn! I wish I would have had a 1000€ to buy my first guitar.
Arguing on the Internet is a lot like being in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded
You can get quite a bit with 1000 Euros...I feel like many beginners are gonna be envious of your starting budget
I know if I had ~$1300, I'd be going for a PRS 24 SE and a nice little amp, maybe a Vox or maybe a nice modeling amp as mentioned below. Especially as a first amp, I feel like a modeling amp would make things a lot more fun. And yes, your amp does control a lot of the sound you'll get from your guitar, but you gotta have a guitar that plays well or else your amp's pointless, so I'd place equal importance on both amp and guitar. Also, I'd recommend checking the local classifieds/used gear websites (or if you have a guitarist friend, see if he/she would look around the area to see if there are any good deals, cuz it's hard to find a good deal if you don't know what to look for in a guitar or amp yet). If you're dead-set on buying new, then there are still quite a few options in the 500-700 range, for both guitar and amp. I personally don't care for Epiphone or Squier, but both Gibson and Fender have some lower-range guitars that you should be able to get for your budget. There are also many brands out there that make decent inexpensive guitars, like Hamer, Agile, Douglass...brands that you won't find at Sam Ash or Guitar Center but that are good options. Also, you might want to try narrowing things down, such as do you want a guitar with humbuckers (to sound more like Zeppelin, most punk rock, etc) or single-coil pickups (played by Pink Floyd, Chili Peppers, and Jimi), what body style you want (single cutaway/double cutaway, solid body/hollow body), etc.
As far as lasting for a while...it's all in how you treat your baby. I still have my first electric, it's about 8 years old now and it still looks and plays like new, and it's a real cheap guitar. You just gotta take care of them.
One final note; if I were about to drop that much cash, I'd make sure I fully understood what I was buying and why. But I like doing research and reading reviews and stuff, so maybe I'm just weird. But still, the more you know, the better. UG is a pretty good place for information, you should check out the Electric Guitar Reviews page and the Electric Guitar forums (as you seem to be) once you start narrowing down your choices. Happy hunting!
Quote by sroze478
You can get quite a bit with 1000 Euros...I feel like many beginners are gonna be envious of your starting budget
I know if I had ~$1300, I'd be going for a PRS 24 SE and a nice little amp, maybe a Vox or maybe a nice modeling amp as mentioned below. Especially as a first amp, I feel like a modeling amp would make things a lot more fun. And yes, your amp does control a lot of the sound you'll get from your guitar, but you gotta have a guitar that plays well or else your amp's pointless, so I'd place equal importance on both amp and guitar. Also, I'd recommend checking the local classifieds/used gear websites (or if you have a guitarist friend, see if he/she would look around the area to see if there are any good deals, cuz it's hard to find a good deal if you don't know what to look for in a guitar or amp yet). If you're dead-set on buying new, then there are still quite a few options in the 500-700 range, for both guitar and amp. I personally don't care for Epiphone or Squier, but both Gibson and Fender have some lower-range guitars that you should be able to get for your budget. There are also many brands out there that make decent inexpensive guitars, like Hamer, Agile, Douglass...brands that you won't find at Sam Ash or Guitar Center but that are good options. Also, you might want to try narrowing things down, such as do you want a guitar with humbuckers (to sound more like Zeppelin, most punk rock, etc) or single-coil pickups (played by Pink Floyd, Chili Peppers, and Jimi), what body style you want (single cutaway/double cutaway, solid body/hollow body), etc.
As far as lasting for a while...it's all in how you treat your baby. I still have my first electric, it's about 8 years old now and it still looks and plays like new, and it's a real cheap guitar. You just gotta take care of them.
One final note; if I were about to drop that much cash, I'd make sure I fully understood what I was buying and why. But I like doing research and reading reviews and stuff, so maybe I'm just weird. But still, the more you know, the better. UG is a pretty good place for information, you should check out the Electric Guitar Reviews page and the Electric Guitar forums (as you seem to be) once you start narrowing down your choices. Happy hunting!

Thanks for the great response. Indeed I am researching and it sure is fun. TO answer your main question: I prefer the single-coil pickups and the Floyd, Jimi, Ritchie line of work,
but by a small margin. That would probably mean leaning towards a Strat and then the question would be which one? American or mexican made?
Are the new ones decent enough, as I hear about a lot of quality problems.
As far as the budget goes, well it is my absolute max but I just don't want to buy a guitar I will outgrow, I want to nail it the first time (if possible).
The question is how much Fender is a low cost one gonna be?
Then, I would consider a used one too.
Thanks for the advice and clarifying my thoughts.
The hunting is gonna be fun!
Quote by Grassyknolls
Made in mexico strats are decent, and you'll have money left over for an amp. modeling amps are cool but the sound is in your amp. i would buy a good used guitar and spend more on an amp. peavey does make great starter amps and the modeling ones are cool because you get to experiment with a lot of effects, but you could always go look for a used amp. it all comes down to your taste in music, if you don't want effects and multiple sounds you can find older marshall combos, or even a peavey tube amp for cheap. i would shop around. ibanez also makes great guitars that last. any guitar will last a long time if you take care of it and keep it set up properly and keep fresh strings on it.

Thanks a lot for the suggestuon about good used Strat.
Could you be more specific about what the good models are

Thanks
Look for a used USA fender stratocaster!

Alot of those can be found for under 1000$ :-)
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
All the bands you listed use Fender guitars. Before I roll with the suggestions, is the 1000Euro for just the guitar, or guitar AND amp?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
All the bands you listed use Fender guitars. Before I roll with the suggestions, is the 1000Euro for just the guitar, or guitar AND amp?

Ideally for a guitar and amp...
That's about $1,300 USD. I'm just converting to make it easier for myself.

I'd say that just about any Fender would meet your needs that isn't a Telecaster. Japanese made Fenders are on ebay for cheap all the time, and in some cases they rival the quality of their American counterparts. I'm a huge Japanese Fender fan. My CIJ Strat is 18 years old and still looks mint.

Hendrix and Gilmour (Pink Floyd's guitarist) played Stratocasters, as did Cobain (Nirvana) for a while, along with Jazzmasters, Jaguars, and his siganture Jag-stang. All of them come up on ebay for around $600-700.

A great amp to look at is a Fender Twin Reverb. They come up on Ebay for $650-750 all the time. A Fender into a Fender is a pretty classic match up, and you'll have success hitting the sort of tones you want right way with that gear, I think.

Keep in mind, those prices are all USD, so convert accordingly. Everything I listed is pretty darn quality gear that will last you for a very long time and won't leave you wanting in the tone department. I should know, I play Strats into a Twin and a Hod Rod Deluxe. Matched with the right OD, I can get just about any tone I need.
Quote by JustRooster
That's about $1,300 USD. I'm just converting to make it easier for myself.

I'd say that just about any Fender would meet your needs that isn't a Telecaster. Japanese made Fenders are on ebay for cheap all the time, and in some cases they rival the quality of their American counterparts. I'm a huge Japanese Fender fan. My CIJ Strat is 18 years old and still looks mint.

Hendrix and Gilmour (Pink Floyd's guitarist) played Stratocasters, as did Cobain (Nirvana) for a while, along with Jazzmasters, Jaguars, and his siganture Jag-stang. All of them come up on ebay for around $600-700.

A great amp to look at is a Fender Twin Reverb. They come up on Ebay for $650-750 all the time. A Fender into a Fender is a pretty classic match up, and you'll have success hitting the sort of tones you want right way with that gear, I think.

Keep in mind, those prices are all USD, so convert accordingly. Everything I listed is pretty darn quality gear that will last you for a very long time and won't leave you wanting in the tone department. I should know, I play Strats into a Twin and a Hod Rod Deluxe. Matched with the right OD, I can get just about any tone I need.

Thanks for the great advice, I'll start looking.
As I am in Europe, it might not be so easy, but I guess ebay.co.uk has some.
The only problem is how to know which models are good, as apparently I cannot test them
before buying.

Cheers
A Made in Mexico Fender Stratocaster will serve your needs nicely and leave you money left over for an amp. The guitar new is only $449 right now at guitar center, which is what, about 380 Euros? I have one that was made in 2003 that I got used which is an excellent guitar. Used they are available for $250-350 bucks for nice condition guitars.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
MIM Fender gear is a good suggestion.

I also hear very good things about Godin guitars. Their "Performance" series of guitars seem to run about 450-550 USD in the USA.

For both you might want to consider their so-called H-S-S guitars having single-coil pickups in the neck & middle position, and a dual-coil (humbucker) in the bridge. These might be a good fit because you named guitarists who played with both single-coil guitars (e.g. Hendrix) and Humbuckers (e.g. Cobain of Nirvana).

In both cases you should be getting a well-built guitar with plenty of money left over to upgrade the pickups (if you choose) and purchase a good quality amplifier.
Last edited by ald10 at Dec 16, 2011,
My first guitar was a mim strat. I loved it, kinda wish I still had it. Fender into fender is always a win. Also look into Epi's. If you are going from acoustic, maybe an epi les Paul is worth a play. I had a Gothic les Paul that I played over my Gibson's for years. My epi was on stage with me and my Gibson's were cased up in my closet.
Don't bother trying to get your perfect guitar now since you don't know what you really like yet. It takes a while to develop preferences. All guitars are very different. You don't want to invest a lot at this point until you're sure. You've only been playing acoustic guitar but electric guitars are very different. They also have a lot of subtle differences that really matter. When I first started playing electric, I thought I was a Gibson guy. But after playing for a while, I realized I wasn't really a fan of the tone for myself and they weren't very comfortable. I don't like the short scale. That's something I didn't think about when I got my first guitar and there was no way I would be able to foresee it because I've only played acoustic guitar. Don't get something super expensive. If you do, you'll most likely force yourself into liking it just because you paid so much for it rather than liking it because it's perfect for you.
There's a couple things I'd say about this. First of all, with that budget for a guitar you can go a wide variety of directions. I notice you didn't mention amplifiers, but others have brought it up. Is your budget really only for the guitar? Or are you trying to purchase both within that budget?

Also, if you're a beginner it's kind of hard to expect you to know what you'll like/don't like. The number of frets (21, 22, 24), type of bridge (stoptail, vintage, floating), wood combinations (ash, mahogany, mahogany/maple), neck carve (wide, thin, fat, C, D), pickup combinations (SSS, HH, HSS) and the types of pickups, etc. are all things you learn over time.

My honest recommendation would be to buy two guitars with that money. Get yourself a used Fender Strat and a Gibson Les Paul. If you can't find a deal for both then move to a MIM Fender and an Epiphone LP.

These guitars are iconic and represent the vast majority of where all other guitars evolved from. They have basic differences (neck carve, body carve, pickups, pickup configuration, etc.) and will last for years and years. But the main plus is you'll be able to play through these very different types of guitars and figure out what it is that you really like over the first 2-3 years...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
This may be a bit biased, since I own one, but I've handled Les Pauls and still love my Yamaha Pacifica to death.
I'd personally be putting most of that into the guitar, not the amp. While yes, the amp is where you'll get most of your tone, you'll learn faster with a solid, quality guitar that will have much, much better playability than the crap most of us learned on lol. That being said, for what you're willing to spend you can get both a nice guitar, and amp that will last you quite a while. I'd check out a PRS SE, or if you find a nice deal, maybe a used MIA Strat. Amp wise, maybe an AC30.
Get a cube amp, and spend the rest on a great guitar. You are NLT after an amazing tone right now, amp doesnt help you learn faster. But an amazing guitar will. I recommend a fender strat but with HSS. Don't get an SSS, you will be disappointed and in need of new pickups if you want to play more distorted stuff. A lespaul is not everyones thing, but a strat is the definition of electric guitar. I love les pauls, but a strat is more versatile and that's what you need.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by omidmash
Get a cube amp, and spend the rest on a great guitar. You are NLT after an amazing tone right now, amp doesnt help you learn faster. But an amazing guitar will. I recommend a fender strat but with HSS. Don't get an SSS, you will be disappointed and in need of new pickups if you want to play more distorted stuff. A lespaul is not everyones thing, but a strat is the definition of electric guitar. I love les pauls, but a strat is more versatile and that's what you need.

Thanks for the suggestion, could you please explain why is HSS better?
In terms of sound could you refer to a song that I cannot play with HSS but can with SSS.
(Sorry for such a noob question)
Thaks
Quote by richardlpalmer
There's a couple things I'd say about this. First of all, with that budget for a guitar you can go a wide variety of directions. I notice you didn't mention amplifiers, but others have brought it up. Is your budget really only for the guitar? Or are you trying to purchase both within that budget?

Thanks for a great advice.
Initially I thought that the amp is not in the budget (and though a modest one would fo).
After doing my research I changed my mind, so I want an am too.

Indeed, I have only vague idea of what I want
so maybe trying some iconic guitars (like the Strat and LEs Paul will clarify).
I tend to like the strat sound more, though.
I really have no clue what pickup config to choose ....

I'll do more reasearch and go try some guitars somewhere...
Quote by eagle_fly
Thanks for the suggestion, the guitar looks great.
Is it a MIA guitar?

no its mexican...ive never played one but apparently it really good. not sure where i read it but i tihnk it was designed by the custom shop guys and the pickups are great
Id try out a telecaster as well.. to me theres nothing that feels as good as the tele..theres models with a single coil in the bridge and p90's or humbuckers in the neck, those would be super versital
Quote by ald10
MIM Fender gear is a good suggestion.

I also hear very good things about Godin guitars. Their "Performance" series of guitars seem to run about 450-550 USD in the USA.

For both you might want to consider their so-called H-S-S guitars having single-coil pickups in the neck & middle position, and a dual-coil (humbucker) in the bridge. These might be a good fit because you named guitarists who played with both single-coil guitars (e.g. Hendrix) and Humbuckers (e.g. Cobain of Nirvana).

In both cases you should be getting a well-built guitar with plenty of money left over to upgrade the pickups (if you choose) and purchase a good quality amplifier.

Nirvana definitely played single coils.

Quote by griffin888
I'd personally be putting most of that into the guitar, not the amp. While yes, the amp is where you'll get most of your tone, you'll learn faster with a solid, quality guitar that will have much, much better playability than the crap most of us learned on lol. That being said, for what you're willing to spend you can get both a nice guitar, and amp that will last you quite a while. I'd check out a PRS SE, or if you find a nice deal, maybe a used MIA Strat. Amp wise, maybe an AC30.

A better guitar will not make you learn faster if you've never touched a guitar before. You don't learn to drive better in a Ferrari than a Prius. Spend the majority of that cash on an amp that will last. Almost no one ever keeps their first guitar. It's just the way guitarists are. We trade and sell guitars constantly.
Last edited by JustRooster at Dec 18, 2011,
A stratocaster's whammy will drive you crazy,it won't stay in tune for long if you try divebombing etc. Either a floyd rose or hardtail IMO. Telecasters are pretty sweet and the BC rich mockingbird st is nice if you like that kind of thing.
]
Last edited by falcon1439 at Dec 18, 2011,
Quote by falcon1439
A stratocaster's whammy will drive you crazy,it won't stay in tune for long if you try divebombing etc. Either a floyd rose or hardtail IMO. Telecasters are pretty sweet and the BC rich mockingbird st is nice if you like that kind of thing.

he doesnt have to dive bomb...i use guitars with whammies and they dont go out of tune...i dont use the whammy much but you dont have to
Quote by eagle_fly
Thanks for the suggestion, could you please explain why is HSS better?
In terms of sound could you refer to a song that I cannot play with HSS but can with SSS.
(Sorry for such a noob question)
Thaks

"Better" is a relative term. You can play any song you want with any guitar you want. But having a humbucker will probably give you the versatility you need/want.

You mentioned Floyd, Hedrix, to Led Zep and Nirvana. Floyd & Hendrix play on SSS (although Gilmour has some very hot pickups so I don't think that's fair to roll into the SSS configuration). to get that ballsy Led Zeppelin sound you'll want a humbucker (2 would be best, but you can make due with one in the bridge position). Nirvana (Kurt Cobain) played both single & humbucking guitars.

So, with that wide of a variety of musical tastes, if you wanted just one guitar, an HSS or HH with coil split would be a wise way to go. Obviously an HHH with coil split for each pickup would also do the trick, but that's not very feasible and honestly wouldn't give you the same sound as an SSS anyway.

Have you considered buying something like a Fender MIM HSS Strat or PRS SE Custom22 and putting the rest of your money in an envelope marked "GAS Fund"? Then when you're ready to change to something else you'll already have some cash ready to go...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Any Used SG special, (or any used guitar from Fender/Gibson) Just one thing... Don't buy any entry level marshall amps. (Especially the MG series). Fender Mustang I or II is a good beginner modeling amp.
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Gibson SG Special w/ SD 59's
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Quote by '93
id get a classic player 60s strat and a 15W tube amp...im currently using a laney cub 12 which is quite nice. total would be around 1000

http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_cub12r.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_60s_classic_player_strat_rw_sb.htm

This.

But maybe a used AC30
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
all i will say is make sure you spend nicely on the amp! vox, marshall, or my personal favourite... Roland Cube!
Thanks for great suggestions.
SO far I have narrowed it down to the following choices:
MIM Fender Strat (still not sure SSS os SSH), MIJ/CIJ Fender (possibly even a Tokai Goldstar)
or PRS.
Out of these, I would be happy to know what you guys have played and like.
It's going to be my short list, so I don't get lost in the guitar shop

Thanks again and cheers