Page 1 of 2
I want to buy a new guitar, there are so many choices its driving me crazy. I was wondering what everyone's opinion is ion the most versatile guitar out there. I like to play ambient, blues, punk, metal, rock, funk. I just don't have enough money to buy a bunch of guitars. Whats the most versatile guitar, regardless of price range?
I don't think there is just one, but PRS, Fender, Ibanez ect make very versitile guitars. Either H-H with coil splits, or H-S-H. To have true versitility you need a Trem also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm only an intermediate player, so take this with a grain of salt, but I have yet to hear anything a Les Paul couldn't do, and do well. I'm a big fan of Strat stuff, but it seems a Les Paul can do anything from smooth jazz to death metal. /shrug
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
The most versatile guitar is probably a strat-type axe, with an HSS setup, with the humbucker coil-tapped. Metal will be a stretch, but accessible depending on what kind of pick-up you use. Funk, blues, jazz, rock (soft and hard) are all totally doable on this setup. Get it with a trem too.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
HSS Strat style with a trem.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Of all the guitars I have owned and in general I would say

Either this:

Ibanez RG3270

Or my JP6

Getting to have lots of tonal options are fun.

Though your amp is also vital if your after convincing tones.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Look into Parker, they've got tons of guitars with coil-splits and piezo pickups and the like
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
I own the Classic Player HH Jaguar, and its brilliant, because both humbuckers have adjustable coil taps, so tonally you have a huge range of sounds. The floating trem is also a bonus. And from experience, it really is a joy to play. Couldn't recommend it enough. Probably biased though :P
HSH strat. 5 way switch. coil tapz
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by Deadpool_25
I'm only an intermediate player, so take this with a grain of salt, but I have yet to hear anything a Les Paul couldn't do, and do well. I'm a big fan of Strat stuff, but it seems a Les Paul can do anything from smooth jazz to death metal. /shrug

I know something it can't do: sound good.

I think an Ibanez would probably be your best choice as far as versatility. Schecters (like the C-1+, my favorite) are usually pretty versatile as well, just try before you buy.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
you need an 8-string or you're completely eliminating ERG music from your repertoire
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
well...... I´d have to say that soundwise my tele is quite versetile,
1 it´s a fender blackout 3 pu´s (check it out)
2 you can definitely twist the hell out of the tone know! from sparkling to a somewhat bass like sound....

Also PRS is reallllyy versatile
and Fender and Ibanez are also really versatile
and Epiphone and gibson also....

WHICH BRAND ISN`T?????? :S
I want to get lots of peoples opinions! A lot of people are saying Ibanez and StratHH
So many guitars can be considered 'the most versatile guitar i've ever played!'.

Personally (IMO), my most versatile guitar is my Fernandes dragonfly elite. Seymour duncan HB in bridge with two single coils mid and neck (sustainer too, which is nice).

It for sure won't sound as 'Dark' or 'Heavy' as some of my other guitars, but for general playing it does the trick fantastically.

PS: I've heard excellent things about Parker as well, in terms of versatility.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Last edited by bluezombie at Dec 15, 2011,
My Carvin CT6M can do pretty much everything. Rock, metal, jazz, funk, blues.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
I've got a Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS w/ Coil tapping.. I bought this guitar for versatility and it does not disappoint. Might be a little expensive unless you can find one for a good deal.. I managed to find a new one for $950.00 I think I got pretty lucky though. The guitar has a real bluesy sound to it, but you can play pretty much anything, including some metal on it.

http://www.fender.com/products/americandeluxe/models.php?prodNo=011910

I'm sure you can get a Mexican made HSS, not sure if it will have the coil-splitting option though.
This thread sucks. What an incredibly broad and vague question that does nothing but warrant opinions from folks who've not only NOT played every guitar, but don't play every style.

The most versatile guitar is a practiced guitarist. Technique makes your sound and style, not your gear.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
Technique makes your sound and style, not your gear.

What??? Fine then you are only allowed to use a first act guitar with a 10w chinese amp. You should be able to make it sound good with technique though so all's good.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Quote by bluezombie
What??? Fine then you are only allowed to use a first act guitar with a 10w chinese amp. You should be able to make it sound good with technique though so all's good.

Sure. That's actually not hard. Slash made a first act sound good through a Jetta, I can do it with a guitar amp.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Deadpool_25
I'm a big fan of Strat stuff, but it seems a Les Paul can do anything from smooth jazz to death metal. /shrug
You can't get those clangy between-pickup (read: Mark Knopfler) Strat sounds on a Les Paul. Believe me, I've tried.

I'm going to put my two cents in and say Parker Fly. Single-coil, humbucker, piezo, does everything convincingly...
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
probably an ibanez rg with an H-S-H pickup configuration, with coil splitting. I've also heard that John Pettruci's signature model is very versatile since it has coil splitting and piezo pickups.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Of all the guitars I have owned and in general I would say

Show off
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Most versatile guitar I've ever owned is a Telecaster Standard.

It'll do it all...
cept maybe metal...

sometimes simplicity is just right...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Parker Adrian Belew sig? It has pretty much everything. Costs like 10 grand too.
In terms of sheer versatility, it's hard to argue with one of the James Tyler-badged Variax's (Line 6):

http://tylervariax.com/

The various models come with either an SSH configuration, or HH ((one version with a Fender scale length, the other more like a Les Paul) for playing as a "regular" guitar. But then you have the 20+ models of various "benchmark" guitars (besides the usual list of classic Fenders and Gibsons, you get various Martin models, a Dobro resonator, an old Danalectro, etc.), plus the ability to do virtual re-tuning. (By changing a switch setting, the guitar electronically adopts any one of 10 or so typical non-std. tunings.)

I haven't tried one out, so this isn't any sort of recommendation, but on paper it seems pretty amazing.
Last edited by rschleicher at Dec 15, 2011,
i think it depends on how you define versatile.

for some people it's the number of different switchable tones you can get out of it, for others it's the amount of different musical styles the guitar's tone fits into well.

all guitars are pretty versatile, whether you can get a good clean tone, a good rock crunch, or a good hi-gain lead tone to name but a few examples is really a matter of whether you have the right amp for that particular job. of course, certain pickup types will be more desirable for certain styles of music which kind of require a specific tone that is a definitive characteristic of that genre... but i think if i could name one guitar that seems to blend in well for anything it would have to be any typical fender telecaster, because they are naturally twangy sounding but the tone has enough "balls" to cover heavier styles too - a lot of the twang can be dialed out with the tone control, too. P-90 equipped guitars tend to be super-versatile too.

edit: i have one of the first variax guitars (the original 500 model, it's a right handed version of what became the lefty model) and i don't think it's actually that versatile because many of the patches are only usable with a certain type of amp setting. and the way it responds to your pick attack is very much like how an electro-acoustic with a piezo pickup in the bridge responds, rather than an electric guitar with magnetic pickups, which feels very unnatural - this is because the modelling system uses a piezo pickup in the bridge
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Dec 15, 2011,
There's no such animal. You can play any sort of music on any sort of electric guitar. Metalheads have used hollowbody jazz guitars, jazz players have used Strats and Les Pauls, country players have used everything under the sun and Yngwie has made a career out of playing classical violin-based passages on his Strat. The guitar you find easiest and most enjoyable to play is the most versatile guitar - for you.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
There's no such animal. You can play any sort of music on any sort of electric guitar. Metalheads have used hollowbody jazz guitars, jazz players have used Strats and Les Pauls, country players have used everything under the sun and Yngwie has made a career out of playing classical violin-based passages on his Strat. The guitar you find easiest and most enjoyable to play is the most versatile guitar - for you.

True enough. In reading an old interview of Jimmy Page (interview was done in the mid-to-late 70's, if I remember right), I was surprised to read that the solo in Stairway to Heaven was recorded with Page's old Telecaster, from his Yardbirds days (I seem to think it had been a gift from Jeff Beck.) Whereas in concert he always used his double-neck Gibson SG-style, for the obvious reason of being able to use it for both the rhythm parts and solo.

Page is always associated with his '59 Les Paul Standard, which was either given to him, or sold to him, by Joe Walsh of all people. (This was his so-called '59 LP No. 1 - his second '59 LP Standard being No. 2, naturally.) Before getting the above guitars, he had a '60 Black Beauty, that was stolen from him in 1970. But most of the electric guitar on the first LZ album was recorded with the Telecaster (also a '59, by coincidence). (He used the Joe Walsh LP No. 1 for the bulk of LZ II.)
although i am not a fan of them Teles are insanely versitile. I was at a show a punk few weeks ago and the guy playing was using a tele and making it do insane things. Other than that i would say a strat or LP. They have stood the test of time for a reason, they work.

I would say that with the level of pedal, amp and general sound manipulation that is common now many guitars can do much more. Amps and pedals are more complex and hence making guitars and players more versitile.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
The amp has more to do with this question then the guitar.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
As much as they scream metal visually, with the right pickup selection, RGs can be quite versatile.
Lol. HSH Strats. PRS. Ibanez. Whatever. A crappy player can take any of your most versatile guitars and make it sound useless for anything. A good, versatile player can do things with a Gibson Melody Maker or a one-pickup Sears Dano that would blow your (and my) freaking mind. Same tired old song yes, but there's no such thing as versatile guitars, just versatile players.
nerd it til it Hz.
>Fender Jagstang / Epiphone SG Special / DIY/GFS Partscaster
>SBN Big Daddy Amp Blaster / Boss OS-2 / Line 6 DL-4 / DIY guitarpcb.com D'Lay
>Vox AC15C1 / Marshall 4x12
Page 1 of 2