http://www.wesh.com/news/29998405/detail.html

basically what the article says is that marriages rates are declining due to it being socially acceptable to not get married anymore and other stuff like that.
so what do you guys think about this? Do you think marriage will eventually be phased out or is this just a phase and eventually we will see marriage rates pick up again?

i personally feel that marriage is a bit of an outdated concept so i dont find this too surprising.

I think we should adopt the Ferengi way of marriage and have it be a contract with an expiration date that you can renew if you choose.
Check out my band Disturbed
Well, it's an economic burden at first to go through the marriage process. I think given an upturn in the global economy, we could see marriage rates rise again. Marriage certainly isn't necessary, but it's definitely something I plan on doing when I'm older.
Quote by StewieSwan

I think we should adopt the Ferengi way of marriage and have it be a contract with an expiration date that you can renew if you choose.

That actually sounds like very good idea
Quote by blake1221
Well, it's an economic burden at first to go through the marriage process. I think given an upturn in the global economy, we could see marriage rates rise again. Marriage certainly isn't necessary, but it's definitely something I plan on doing when I'm older.

I'm doing it in 1.5 years, nucka.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Pretty soon only gays will be getting married.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by zgr0826
I'm doing it in 1.5 years, nucka.

Congratulations

I knew you were engaged, just didn't know when the date was. Why are you waiting that long?
I guess the cliche women are right. There just aren't any good men out there nowadays.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
no, marriage is one of the biggest businesses out there, if it starts to phase out, businesses will work hard to make sure they don't see it through
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by blake1221
Congratulations

I knew you were engaged, just didn't know when the date was. Why are you waiting that long?

We're waiting until she's almost done with grad school and I'm nearly graduated.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Well awesome, I'm excited for you.

I will also be crashing your wedding. If I'm not the best man. Which I will be extremely upset if I'm not, and no leg will be left unswept.
Quote by blake1221
Well awesome, I'm excited for you.

I will also be crashing your wedding. If I'm not the best man. Which I will be extremely upset if I'm not, and no leg will be left unswept.

Oh boy... This is awkward....

You are welcome to come though. The date is May 11th, 2013.

Quote by ErikLensherr

I don't think you can justify the financial cost of marriage.

If you are already living like a married couple , its nothing more than a title , what does it even matter?
Quote by burghUK

If you are already living like a married couple , its nothing more than a title , what does it even matter?

Tax breaks/benefits. Also, the financial cost is what you make it.
I already live with my girlfriend, and many of my friends do the same thing. For a while I kind of thought "what's the point? I've got a good thing going here." However, it does add a degree of security and commitment. I mean, come on, how serious do you think a relationship is when you hear them say "girlfriend?" Most 12 year olds have a girlfriend. If you're 30-40 with just a girlfriend, seems like you're not doing too well. Also, if they're just a girlfriend, either one of you can leave at any time. "My girlfriend broke up me with me" aww, too bad. "My wife is divorcing me" now that's some serious stuff. There are other benefits too, like taxes, healthcare benefits, etc. It's more than just a big party and a ring.

I must be getting old and sentimental.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Quote by burghUK

it's a symbolical procreational gesture, the vows are meaningless, it's basically just a party to deceive yourself into thinking your life is different because you had a party and some guys in suits say you get benefits for paying thousands of pounds

so basically it's a whim people like indulging when relationships get serious/boring/edward and bella
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by burghUK

Cost of getting married? Nobody is forcing you to have a 200,000 dollar wedding with 300 guests and an open bar at some 5 star hotel on the beach.

There are incentives to get married. Financial benefits that are quite useful.
Meh, i like the idea of having a wife over a girlfriend. I don't plan on having a massive do anyway.
I think it's just a socio economic phase.
I've never grown up as a person who wants to get married, and I know 4 people of my friends that are getting married and a few more thinking about it.
Quote by zgr0826

So many legs....so little time.
Marriage is too long term. People just wanna fuck'n'leave / bone'n'bounce / romp'n'stomp / etc.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by zgr0826

That's a few days after I graduate college (hopefully ). Which means, I don't care if I have to scour this entire state, I will crash your wedding.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by darkstar2466
Marriage is too long term. People just wanna fuck'n'leave / bone'n'bounce / romp'n'stomp / etc.

Except for people that...you know...really love each other and stay together.
And nothing of value was lost.

Marriage has only ever had a real use in times where it could solve political issues and strife between nations/families. These days the only benefit it has is economic, which is even more absurd given that the supposed thing you celebrate it for is love.

Marriage is bullshit straight to the core. If you feel so strongly about another person you want the need to stay with them until you pass away, the worst possible way you could show it is probably by having an institution, state or otherwise, write a paper that accepts it as so. Worse yet is the practice of extravagance in jewellery purchase, supposedly signifying the magnitude of it.

The pinnacle of gestures in love should not be a fucking legal contract and a piece of shit metal with a grain of carbon stuck to it.
why do most people here keep equating a wedding day to marriage as an institution?
#DTWD
Quote by Jackal58
Pretty soon only gays will be getting married.

The Republicans tried to warn us...

I honestly don't care, I'm planning on marrying. To me the whole point of getting married (aside from any financial incentive) is the idea of making what is supposed to be such a significant commitment to another person. I want to have that much faith in the stability of my relationship with another person, that I want to spend the rest of my life with them on such an intimate level. I don't care what anybody else is doing, it's a personal matter.
The reason this is the case is because it is very easy nowadays to get a divorce, so now people just don't take the time to get married (just in case their significant other turns out not to be "the one" in the end), considering that divorce takes away half of your belongings. They see it as a waste.

Back in the day, marriage was final ("Until death do you part"), which is the only reason the Anglican church was originally founded, which allowed divorce.

Now, marriage serves no purpose (unless of course you are religious).

I don't care whether one marries or not, personally.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Esperanza Spalding, Vulfpeck, Caravan Palace

It is I, the mighty shitkicker, as prophesied by JustRooster. Obey me.
Not too bothered if this happens. I may get married when I'm older, or I may not, not a huge deal to me.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by Thrashtastic15
The Republicans tried to warn us...

I honestly don't care, I'm planning on marrying. To me the whole point of getting married (aside from any financial incentive) is the idea of making what is supposed to be such a significant commitment to another person. I want to have that much faith in the stability of my relationship with another person, that I want to spend the rest of my life with them on such an intimate level. I don't care what anybody else is doing, it's a personal matter.

+1.

i was raised in such a way to view marriage as a sacramental binding commitment before my friends, family and god. more so, to embrace self-sacrifice and become 'we' rather than 'you and me'. which i guess you could arbitrarily discuss one night on the couch watching movies, but to me it has more meaning. same thing with sex. is it just two people using each other to come, or is it people giving up their anonymity to become united with each other, being totally giving of yourself for the satisfaction of the other? i guess most people just think it's two people coming (or in UG's case, one awkwardly coming and falling asleep as the other lies awake unsatisfied and regretful).

basically what i'm saying is it is what it is, and you're entitled to your particular perception. but i have mine and i'm sticking to it.
#DTWD
Quote by blake1221

Sounds gay
Quote by primusfan
+1.

i was raised in such a way to view marriage as a sacramental binding commitment before my friends and family. more so, to embrace self-sacrifice and become 'we' rather than 'you and me'. which i guess you could arbitrarily discuss one night on the couch watching movies, but to me it has more meaning. same thing with sex. is it just two people using each other to come, or is it people giving up their anonymity to become united with each other, being totally giving of yourself for the satisfaction of the other? i guess most people just think it's two people coming (or in UG's case, one awkwardly coming and falling asleep as the other lies awake unsatisfied and regretful).

basically what i'm saying is it is what it is, and you're entitled to your particular perception. but i have mine and i'm sticking to it.

Took out two words and you have my exact philosophy. If I was Devourke I'd call you my bro
Quote by blake1221
It's extremely gay.

Somewhere out there, Rick Perry is reading this post and going "oops"
Quote by Ackj
I already live with my girlfriend, and many of my friends do the same thing. For a while I kind of thought "what's the point? I've got a good thing going here." However, it does add a degree of security and commitment. I mean, come on, how serious do you think a relationship is when you hear them say "girlfriend?" Most 12 year olds have a girlfriend. If you're 30-40 with just a girlfriend, seems like you're not doing too well. Also, if they're just a girlfriend, either one of you can leave at any time. "My girlfriend broke up me with me" aww, too bad. "My wife is divorcing me" now that's some serious stuff. There are other benefits too, like taxes, healthcare benefits, etc. It's more than just a big party and a ring.

I must be getting old and sentimental.

If that's the case, then I'm getting old and sentimental too. I'm married and it helps a bunch as far as taxes and benefits are concerned.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Took out two words and you have my exact philosophy. If I was Devourke I'd call you my bro

If you were Devourke you would have posted a gay rape fantasy.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by blake1221

If two souls have naturally united, they will stay that way, regardless of anything else that transpires. You don't need papers and jewelery to promote the *event* of marriage to signify the bond, as Vad said. I don't believe in 'souls,' but I do like the metaphor for the set of similarly-programmed neural interactions in all of us that concept symbolizes. Having said that, I do think two individuals need to be united in mind, body, and soul for 'love' to be present. I don't see the 'soul' unity in most relationships, and here's why:

Most people will pick one person and settle for 'em as a long-term partner because it is culturally the norm to do so. They could have picked just about any other person with the same qualities/looks/appeal. 'Love' is the construct that the individuals build to hold together the relationship. It is still called 'love,' but it can be built on petty transactions, lies, and bullshit, just as it can be built on trust, honesty, loyalty, etc.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie