Hey.

I'm really concerned about myself. For at least the past year I've hit a "riffer's block" I can't come up with anything that I like. In the past year I've come up with one song, and that was on occasion (of course most songs are created that way, it's not that I'm the type of person who says "now I'm gonna write a song"), but the only one I came up with was actually not really something I wanted to do, the thing is that it was a jazzy depressive song and what I really would like to is to come up with some rock riffs and chords that my response to would be "hell yeah, these are nice", but nothing happens. I've tried a lot of different things including playing different styles, learning new songs, playing the first that comes to my mind etc... But nothing suits me, it's like Solitaire I keep turning the cards, but there are no cards useable.

Have any of you had a similar experience? If so, how did you manage to move on? What did the trick for you?
1971 - was the f***ing year
Bobby Liebling is the man!
Last edited by Ridder Lugtepik at Dec 15, 2011,
i tried to find some new bands that i hadn't listened to yet and see if any of their music inspired me to write a cool riff. But just make sure its not the same as any of their riffs....
theres a little trick i do sometimes that helps

go on youtube and find a song youve never heard, something in the genre youd want to play

listen to the first riff for it. then imagine what the next riff is gonna be and play that in your head then grab a guitar and play it.

hope that makes sense
find a writing partner.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Quote by Ruff Stuff
Write riffs on a different instrument.

This works^
Also, try a different tuning.
Play in a key you've never used before.
Pick a tempo on a metronome and try to come up with something fitting.
Jam with a drummer.
Listen to some new music.

Also, look into the oblique strategies:

http://stoney.sb.org/eno/oblique.html

Some are helpful.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Thanks for all your contributions.

#1 - I only own two electric guitars and one acoustic. And I can't really play piano so... but thanks anyway.

#2 - Haha, I've caught myself writing cool riffs that I later discovered was from songs I already knew.

#3 - This makes a lot of sense. I'll try this!

#4 - I'm actually in a band, but we have no place to rehearse so that's what keeping me from that.

#5 - I've tried most of this.

Anyways. I appreciate all your help!
1971 - was the f***ing year
Bobby Liebling is the man!
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
theres a little trick i do sometimes that helps

go on youtube and find a song youve never heard, something in the genre youd want to play

listen to the first riff for it. then imagine what the next riff is gonna be and play that in your head then grab a guitar and play it.

hope that makes sense

This is actually the best suggestion.

For me I just burn one then proceed to play.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness