Hey guys,

i currently play my guitar through a line 6 POD HD300 which is hooked up to my laptop

i either play using headphones or sometimes my shitty creative speakers?

tbh, i dont like playing through the headphones and the speakers dont go any justice to the tone coming from the POD

aside from new headphones, what new speakers can i get to play guitar through? which arent to bassy or trebly which would alter the actual tone

cheers guys

EDIT: whats the difference between passive and active monitors?
Gear

ESP LTD EC-401
Jackson DK2M
Line 6 POD HD300
Last edited by stormtrooper887 at Dec 15, 2011,
I'd say pick up some decent studio monitors. I had a cheap $200 powered monitor set I used for a long time in my "studio" ..I ran my pod xt live into a tascam digital recorder and out to the monitors. You can get a set of powered monitors for under $200 and they will at least be made for studio use instead of home stereo use like the creative set you have.
how loud would monitors be?

and could i still use the monitors as normal speakers for my laptop ?

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/21209-m-audio-studiophile-av-40-pair.html#sterling_uk

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/34650-alesis-m1-active-320-usb-pair.html#sterling_uk

would these be any good?
Gear

ESP LTD EC-401
Jackson DK2M
Line 6 POD HD300
Last edited by stormtrooper887 at Dec 15, 2011,
If you plan on using those for JUST your Pod, and jamming to backing tracks, then yes, those monitors will work perfectly. They get pretty loud as well. They're not very good for mixing, though.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
If you plan on using those for JUST your Pod, and jamming to backing tracks, then yes, those monitors will work perfectly. They get pretty loud as well. They're not very good for mixing, though.

which ones the alesis ones or m audio?

and what about for general music listening?
Gear

ESP LTD EC-401
Jackson DK2M
Line 6 POD HD300
Quote by stormtrooper887
which ones the alesis ones or m audio?

and what about for general music listening?
The M-Audio's, never had experience with the Alesis. For gen. music listening they should be fine.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
The M-Audio's, never had experience with the Alesis. For gen. music listening they should be fine.

im being a total noob here

BUT how would they connect up to my POD/laptop through the headphone jack slot or another way?
Gear

ESP LTD EC-401
Jackson DK2M
Line 6 POD HD300
PA speakers, powered or not, make pretty shitty hifi speakers. I know, I used my PA as my hifi for quite some time. They're loud but pretty crappy unless you are using something like Bose 801's or something.
To run a Pod into they work fine because you don't need the accuracy of a hifi. PA speakers are not accurate, they're tough and loud.

Active monitors mean that there is an amplifier in the speaker cabinet. Passive monitors are just speakers in a box.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification