between good music and good guitar music?

There are a lot of guitar centered bands that myself and all my guitar playing freinds like, but non-guitarists don't. It's getting to the point where I can't even tell if I would like the band if I didn't play.

So pit, can you?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
I have never thought about it. I like loads of the music I like because I love the structures, how a certain note is sung, certain rhythms and chord progressions. I wouldn't even notice most of those details if I didn't play guitar, but as I play guitar and have done so for 8 years or so I really can't see myself listening to music without the interest and knowledge I have. I haven't been able to listen to music without any clue whatsoever in 8 years. Can't remember what it's like.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Dec 15, 2011,
I hardly understand the question, but I don't really think that there's any bands I listen to just because I play guitar.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by The_Sophist

There are a lot of guitar centered bands that myself and all my guitar playing friends like, but non-guitarists don't. It's getting to the point where I can't even tell if I would like the band if I didn't play.

So pit, can you?

Good music is good music, regardless of the instrument it's based around.
I like video game music. A lot of it (namely handheld and 8-bit/16-bit games) is sequenced music.

Otherwise, jazz. Lots of jazz is guitarless.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: The Police

#wolfie2017 #freegyros #gifsftw G7#9
Quote by lushacrous
I hardly understand the question, but I don't really think that there's any bands I listen to just because I play guitar.

This. I just listen to whatever that sparks some cool emotions in me.
I actually listen to much less guitar-based music than before and when I started, even though I've become more and more passionate about playing.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I like video game music. A lot of it (namely handheld and 8-bit/16-bit games) is sequenced music.

Otherwise, jazz. Lots of jazz is guitarless.

Yep. If you don't like this, you might as well be a faggot. Good music is good music, period.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Basti95
I actually listen to much less guitar-based music than before and when I started, even though I've become more and more passionate about playing.

Yeah this too. I'd say that only a little more than half of what I listen to has guitars now, but back when I joined it was all traditional alterna-rock stuff.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by darkstar2466

Yep. If you don't like this, you might as well be a faggot. Good music is good music, period.

Pokemon FTW. I'm a sucker for the generation 2 music.

Quote by Wolfinator-x

Pokemon FTW. I'm a sucker for the generation 2 music.

And Ocarina.

And Sonic 1 and 2 for Sega Genesis as well.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I think a lot of progressive metal requires you to be a progressive metal musician to appreciate it, so yeah I get what you mean. Things like syncopation, polymetrics, polyrhythms and odd time signatures aren't even noticed by non-musicians so they don't hear anything special whereas musicians notice it and go, "**** that was awesome".
My songs are all located here .
Feel free to drop by and crit a song.
Leave a link and I'll return a crit

Colossus
Quote by darkstar2466
And Ocarina.

And Sonic 1 and 2 for Sega Genesis as well.
Pretty much all LoZ and StH music is great

Halo has good orchestral pieces as well.

I feel like good music is good music, regardless of instrumental medium. Whether or not a song or piece of music is good doesn't depend on which instruments are used to writ it, it depends on the composition of the piece. At least in my opinion.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
I feel like good music is good music, regardless of instrumental medium. Whether or not a song or piece of music is good doesn't depend on which instruments are used to writ it, it depends on the composition of the piece. At least in my opinion.
True, but listening to some WASP played on trumpets or to some Charlie Daniels on synthesizers, while interesting, wouldn't live up to the real deal.

Other other hand, yes, some songs and genres are really versatile and would sound great on almost any instrument. I play Take Five on guitar. Still sounds good. I've experimented with Def Leppard's 'Switch 625' on piano, and it still sounds cool.

I've found my musical tastes have expanded a lot since I began playing music. Perhaps because I'm looking for music to play more. I listen to a lot of bass-orientated music and similar things (ala Yves Carbonne).

However, I'm not sure if that's just because I play bass. I think I'm just a sucker for anything that really grooves. I find myself appreciating complex pieces of various instrumentation, I can appreciate a good solo acoustic guitar piece for example, which is perhaps something I wouldn't have been able to do before.

Equally, I like to think that had I took up a different instrument I'd still be able to appreciate a good bass-orientated piece (unlike many ignoramuses). I can enjoy a good drum solo, etc etc.

Anything played tastefully that demonstrates a strong grasp on music is likely to appeal to me, as long as it isn't something simply to demonstrate technical ability (hence the 'tasteful' part), for example hi-my-name-is-yngwie-and-look-how-fast-my-hand-moves sort of stuff... doesn't do anything for me at all.
Yeah, good music is, like, Bach and Mozart.
Good guitar music is, like, retarded dopers who couldn't be bothered learning a real instrument like the harpsichord.
Yeah I can tell. Not something I can really explain though. Every now and then I'll force some friends into hearing some metal though, usually with a response of:"I don't care how technical and complex he can play, he's just playing absolute nonsense and random notes." Lol, I remember When I couldn't take listening to that stuff either though.
Quote by The_Sophist
It's getting to the point where I can't even tell if I would like the band if I didn't play.

But you do play, and you do like the band. So who cares if it's cuz u like their guitarwork? I'm so picky with what I actually like for singers/screamers etc that I wouldn't listen to much of anything if I didn't really really like the guitar parts. But i don't see it as a bad thing.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
Yea it's easy. Good music doesn't have guitars in it.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Of course there is a difference, there is good guitar music like all of the shredder guys like Paul Gilbert, Malmsteen and so on but it's music you would only listen to because they can play some ridiculous part on the guitar that you can't.

Djent is another example, the djent 'scene' is basically on listened to by musicians. I personally just love the ambient parts and the groove but I can appreciate and enjoy that because I play guitar, not many other people generally do.

Saying that I also enjoy electronic music and acoustic and folk as well as progressive rock. The majority of pop punk is one finger power chords but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy blink 182 or sum 41, conversely a lot of Malmsteen's music is shredding beyond belief but I wouldn't call it enjoyable music, just impressive.
Listen to Guthrie Govan to understand good music and good guitar music.
I can listen to an instrumental bass track, and I don't play bass. I just think being a musician you can appreciate instrumental music more than non-musicians, or songs that focus more on complex instrumental parts tbh
Last edited by Duffman123 at Dec 15, 2011,
I think being familiar with guitar and effects kind of takes away from the mysteriousness of what you hear. Since you at the least have an idea of how they created those sounds. But a person that knows nothing about said instruments will probably be more um, enchanted by it I guess?

OTOH I strongly dislike guitar virtuoso solo albums. You know like Satrani and Steve Vai, etc.

This is why I like experimental electronic music so much. I don't know crap about synths or other analogue equipment. Though I know most people use digital stuff but still. That genre still piques my curiosity the most.
Quote by BlackVoid
I think being familiar with guitar and effects kind of takes away from the mysteriousness of what you hear. Since you at the least have an idea of how they created those sounds. But a person that knows nothing about said instruments will probably be more um, enchanted by it I guess?

I remember getting that feeling when I was 8 or so and I listened to Voodoo Child for the first time.
Quote by Duffman123
I remember getting that feeling when I was 8 or so and I listened to Voodoo Child for the first time.

Same here, with the same song too. Was the first track on a Hendrix compilation album. Brix were shat.
Quote by BlackVoid
Same here, with the same song too. Was the first track on a Hendrix compilation album. Brix were shat.

Sounded so alien to me, then I discovered a wah pedal!

And that is why I am so fascinated with electronic music as well. This track completely baffles me and that's why I love it.