Page 1 of 108
MatrixClaw
UG God
1,092 IQ
Welcome to the Official Recording Chat Thread!

The purpose of this thread is to discuss topics that might not be fit for a new thread in the forum, discuss recent recording experiences, or just general off-topic debauchery!

For those of you who use IRC, we have a chat channel setup at:

Server: irc.connorhd.net
Channel: #ug-recording

Or, if you use Skype, please click the link below and click "Click here to join" next to "Room URI" to join our chat room:

http://skypechat.net/ads/ug-recording-forum-chat/

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath
50 IQ
can i get all my random questions answered in here? i have lots but i hate making a new thread every time i have a question
MatrixClaw
UG God
1,092 IQ
Quote by z4twenny
can i get all my random questions answered in here? i have lots but i hate making a new thread every time i have a question

Sure! Go for it
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath
50 IQ
sweet, lets see if this works....

is it possible to use too much acoustic treatment in a small mixing space. i have a small non square shaped room with semi high slanted ceilings and my mixes don't translate real well, i'm not the best mixer in the world but my mixes are waaaay off. i know i need more treatment and bass traps but can i use "too much" ?
chrism3006
Long Term GAS Sufferer
143 IQ
Quote by BloodReverence
MatrixClaw = noob

I agree!

Quote by z4twenny

is it possible to use too much acoustic treatment in a small mixing space. i have a small non square shaped room with semi high slanted ceilings and my mixes don't translate real well, i'm not the best mixer in the world but my mixes are waaaay off. i know i need more treatment and bass traps but can i use "too much" ?

Yes it is possible to have too much, just start by treat the point of first reflection on the walls and ceiling then bass trap all the corners and see how that sounds!
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
ENGL E530 Preamp
Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk
Last edited by chrism3006 at Dec 15, 2011,
MatrixClaw
UG God
1,092 IQ
Quote by z4twenny

I'm sure it's possible in the realm of professional studios who have people they're hiring to do the treatment for them, but it's going to be more difficult (if you're doing it correctly) to overdo it in your home.

Some people tend to think a room that's super "dead" sounding is "too much," while others may prefer it. It's really up to you to decide, but in a small room with more than just a mixing desk and some seating, it's impossible to treat the lowend as well as they could in a professional studio, built with the purpose in mind.

My first reaction to your statement of your mixes translating very poorly would be: "What are you mixing on (ie: Monitors? Headphones? What brand? What model?)?"

If you're using improper gear to monitor your mixes, that could certain be one problem. You inexperience in learning your monitor device is the second. Treatment sure does help a lot, but even with it, you need to have the experience with your gear to produce good results.

Do you have an example of one of your mixes?

Quote by chrism3006
I agree!

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
chrism3006
Long Term GAS Sufferer
143 IQ
Quote by MatrixClaw
something something

The thing of it is, absolutely no one will listen to any of your mixes in a completely dead room. So why would you mix in that environment?
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
ENGL E530 Preamp

Music:

MatrixClaw
UG God
1,092 IQ
Quote by chrism3006
The thing of it is, absolutely no one will listen to any of your mixes in a completely dead room. So why would you mix in that environment?

True enough. But even then, you're going to have to tear down walls and flooring to even get a room to that point.

Assuming he means just hanging rigid fiberglass on the walls and bass traps in the corners, there's little to no probability that his room is going to be completely dead.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
chrism3006
Long Term GAS Sufferer
143 IQ
Quote by MatrixClaw

True enough. But even then, you're going to have to tear down walls and flooring to even get a room to that point.

Assuming he means just hanging rigid fiberglass on the walls and bass traps in the corners, there's little to no probability that his room is going to be completely dead.

What you need is one of these, perfect mixes every time then!

(Invalid img)
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
ENGL E530 Preamp

Music:

MatrixClaw
UG God
1,092 IQ
Quote by chrism3006
What you need is one of these, perfect mixes every time then!

(Invalid img)

Holy ****.

That looks intense!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath
50 IQ
@ matrixclaw - cold air and expidu on my profile were mixed on my rig, i have a set of mackies and a krk sub. the sub sits under my desk and i usually put my foot on it to feel the bass. the thing is they're kinda "ok-ish" mixes but i put way too much effort into them to get ok mixes y'know? i basically ended up testing the mixes on a couple sets of speakers (nice livingroom stereo and several car stereos in addition to 2 sets of headphones i use when recording) and used reference notes from those speakers to adjust different eq properties, i honestly know that my room needs more treatment but i'm kinda torn on how much i should use and i know that super super flat / dead enviroments don't make for great translations either.

and yes, basically i used an auralux room treatment kit (the roominator) and a bunch of lenrd bass traps in the corner (they're not stacked up to the ceiling arc but they need to be)

basically i think i need another roominator kit and more bass traps. i can look at the room and see where frequencies most likely build up and you can hear a drastic eq sweep as you walk around the room while a song is playing. i understand the sound is going to be different in relation to you and the speakers but i mean its any where from so sub heavy its hard to hear the highs to sounding "perfect".... but it's not which is why im here

and yes, if i could make one of those in my house i would in a heartbeat, but i have a feeling i'd have to pull off a oceans 13 style heist to fund its construction.
Last edited by z4twenny at Dec 15, 2011,
chrism3006
Long Term GAS Sufferer
143 IQ
Quote by z4twenny

and yes, basically i used an auralux room treatment kit (the roominator) and a bunch of lenrd bass traps in the corner (they're not stacked up to the ceiling arc but they need to be)

There are two approaches: use your ears and do it a little at a time, listen each time you put more up to see what effects the new treatment is having.

OR go scientific and get a hold of a measurement mic, then there a bunch of programs that will run sine sweeps through your monitor and record and analyze the results, then you can target specific problem areas with additional treatment to even out the spectrum analysis.
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
ENGL E530 Preamp

Music:

z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath
50 IQ
I actually have a measurement mic (i bought a arc system measurement kit) but i couldn't get it to run on a previous windows install, i recently reinstalled a different version of windows on a different hardware configuration and have been meaning to see if it will run on my new hardware. i really want to get my room close to balanced before doing that as it does have corrective eq'ing but i'd much rather have to use as little of that as possibe.

edit : i get what you mean, use the mic to determine reflective areas and treat those, gotcha.
Last edited by z4twenny at Dec 15, 2011,
chrism3006
Long Term GAS Sufferer
143 IQ
Quote by z4twenny
I actually have a measurement mic (i bought a arc system measurement kit) but i couldn't get it to run on a previous windows install, i recently reinstalled a different version of windows on a different hardware configuration and have been meaning to see if it will run on my new hardware. i really want to get my room close to balanced before doing that as it does have corrective eq'ing but i'd much rather have to use as little of that as possibe.

Just use the microphone from the arc kit with a program like: http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

Then at least you have an idea of what your room is like!
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
ENGL E530 Preamp

Music:

Bostonrocks
UG God
721 IQ
Derek is actually a douchebag. not God. but. to each his own.

so this is the WTLTL for the recording forum?
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
chrism3006
Long Term GAS Sufferer
143 IQ
Quote by Bostonrocks

So it would seem!

I HATE BASSISTS
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
ENGL E530 Preamp

Music:

MatrixClaw
UG God
1,092 IQ
Quote by Bostonrocks

Thanks Brett you too

Sure, except we're cooler, obviously. *Looks around suspiciously since he's a mod in GG&A too*

P.S. Second day in a row I've witnessed an accident. Yesterday, I saw a guy get hit by a car trying to walk across the street and today I saw 4 people smash into eachother's cars leaving the grocery stores.

P.P.S Packing up all the epic recording gear I've had the past few weeks to ship to Russia. Sad day
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
guitarmaniac88
Procrastinate & Dominate!
216 IQ
I've got a question for you guys, then. I'm trying to cover Mr. Big's Addicted to That Rush, for the Pit's Calling All Musicians V6.0, where the deadline is December 25 to learn a new song. Anyway, my plan is only to do the guitar part, if I can get my hands on a bass (which probably won't happen), I may try to record that as well. Until then, I'm relying on MIDI, specifically from GP files. I've exported the MIDI, and then imported it into Sonar. It all came through fine, except that the bass is WAY too loud. I can adjust the volume for the drums to accommodate my somewhat low guitar volume (compared to the MIDI volume, which is very loud), and the guitar part as well (even though I won't be using it). When I try to change the bass volume, nothing happens, even on zero. I can still mute the track, but I need it, and it's way too loud. Does anybody know what's wrong, how to fix it, things like that? Any help would be appreciated.

Tl:dr Imported MIDI bass is too loud, and I can't adjust the volume for it.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
MatrixClaw
UG God
1,092 IQ
^So you're importing an actual MIDI file and not the RSE audio from Guitar Pro? I'm assuming you're running some kind of VST instrument on the track then, otherwise, I'm confused as to how you're getting any sound in the first place?

My guess would be, the bass is probably automated for volume on the MIDI track, and it's overriding your fader on the track. You might have to edit the MIDI file to change this. If you don't know how to do it, upload the file to Dropbox or something and I'll take a look
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
guitarmaniac88
216 IQ
Quote by MatrixClaw
^So you're importing an actual MIDI file and not the RSE audio from Guitar Pro? I'm assuming you're running some kind of VST instrument on the track then, otherwise, I'm confused as to how you're getting any sound in the first place?

My guess would be, the bass is probably automated for volume on the MIDI track, and it's overriding your fader on the track. You might have to edit the MIDI file to change this. If you don't know how to do it, upload the file to Dropbox or something and I'll take a look

Well, I'm using Tuxguitar, no RSE. When I import the MIDI to Sonar, it gives each MIDI track it's own Sonar MIDI track. It doesn't exactly sound good, slightly better than Tuxguitar, but I think I can give each track one of Sonar's studio instruments, like the drum kit and a bass, so I'll try that to get a better sound out of it (I know they sound pretty good). I'll try adjusting the volume in the original file and see if that changes anything and come back with the results.

EDIT: Yeah, I just found out I have no idea how to adjust the original file .

This is the file I'm using.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
Last edited by guitarmaniac88 at Dec 16, 2011,
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!
20 IQ
Quote by MatrixClaw

P.P.S Packing up all the epic recording gear I've had the past few weeks to ship to Russia. Sad day

Shit that reminds me I was suppose to upload that song without the drums for you...damn finals week...
MatrixClaw
UG God
1,092 IQ
Quote by guitarmaniac88
Well, I'm using Tuxguitar, no RSE. When I import the MIDI to Sonar, it gives each MIDI track it's own Sonar MIDI track. It doesn't exactly sound good, slightly better than Tuxguitar, but I think I can give each track one of Sonar's studio instruments, like the drum kit and a bass, so I'll try that to get a better sound out of it (I know they sound pretty good). I'll try adjusting the volume in the original file and see if that changes anything and come back with the results.

EDIT: Yeah, I just found out I have no idea how to adjust the original file .

This is the file I'm using.

Hmm, I don't see any issues in the MIDI file, but I exported some bass and drums for you real quick:

http://min.us/mblIjZ6aEy

Quote by FireHawk
Shit that reminds me I was suppose to upload that song without the drums for you...damn finals week...

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
guitarmaniac88
216 IQ
Quote by MatrixClaw
Hmm, I don't see any issues in the MIDI file, but I exported some bass and drums for you real quick:

http://min.us/mblIjZ6aEy

Awesome. I have a really slow internet connection (I've never seen it past 60 kbps, it averages 25 with nothing else going), so it'll be quite a while to get that downloaded. I will be back in the 46 minutes or so it says it needs to download in. Thanks a lot for it, either way.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
MatrixClaw
UG God
1,092 IQ
Quote by guitarmaniac88
Awesome. I have a really slow internet connection (I've never seen it past 60 kbps, it averages 25 with nothing else going), so it'll be quite a while to get that downloaded. I will be back in the 46 minutes or so it says it needs to download in. Thanks a lot for it, either way.

No problem! I didn't edit the MIDI at all to make the drums sound more humanized, but I'm sure the general sounds are better than what's built into Sonar.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
guitarmaniac88
216 IQ
Quote by MatrixClaw

No problem! I didn't edit the MIDI at all to make the drums sound more humanized, but I'm sure the general sounds are better than what's built into Sonar.

Ok, now I'm really getting kind of irritated. After waiting forever for it to download, I find out the software I'm using to extract the files can't extract them. All it says it that it can't open the archive or something. I'm using 7-zip, if you know of any solutions. Maybe this is a sign I should really stop using so much freeware.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
MatrixClaw
UG God
1,092 IQ
Quote by guitarmaniac88
Ok, now I'm really getting kind of irritated. After waiting forever for it to download, I find out the software I'm using to extract the files can't extract them. All it says it that it can't open the archive or something. I'm using 7-zip, if you know of any solutions. Maybe this is a sign I should really stop using so much freeware.

That's weird, 7-zip should work just fine.

Try WinRAR, that's what I always use.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
guitarmaniac88
216 IQ
Quote by MatrixClaw
That's weird, 7-zip should work just fine.

Try WinRAR, that's what I always use.

Will do. I'll have to download it later when my mom gets home from work, since she has administrator privileges on this computer. Hopefully this will finally work, you've been a lot of help. I'm glad this thread got started, it's proven to be quite useful.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
MatrixClaw
UG God
1,092 IQ
Quote by guitarmaniac88
Will do. I'll have to download it later when my mom gets home from work, since she has administrator privileges on this computer. Hopefully this will finally work, you've been a lot of help. I'm glad this thread got started, it's proven to be quite useful.

No problemo, glad I could help

On another topic... Not usually a huge fan of quilts in comparison to flames, but this thing is hothothot!

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
GaryBillington
Last of a Dyin' Breed
238 IQ
Very nice. I'm alwyas a big fan of quilted or flamed guitars, that's a particularly nice example

Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
MatrixClaw
UG God
1,092 IQ
Quote by GaryBillington
Very nice. I'm alwyas a big fan of quilted or flamed guitars, that's a particularly nice example

Yeah, not to say I don't like quilts, but I find it's easier to find a really nice looking quilt than it is to find a really complex flame top. This is definitely an exception. That blue is stunning!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
GaryBillington
Last of a Dyin' Breed
238 IQ
Definitely agree on the stunning thing - don't know what it is about blue, but I always think it brings out the flame/quite better than other colours. Maybe it's just because they're a bit less common than the usual LP colours?

Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
jof1029
GO HOKIES!
200 IQ
i think a well done blue or deep green can really bring out the wood pattern really well. ive never thought red looks as good though
MatrixClaw
UG God
1,092 IQ
Quote by jof1029
i think a well done blue or deep green can really bring out the wood pattern really well. ive never thought red looks as good though

Yeah. Blue and Green aren't as common on guitars.

I'd love to see a really nice green or blue flame on some higher end guitars, but really the only ones I've seen them on are ESPs. There was this Carvin I saw a few years ago with a Purple quilt top, absolutely beautiful!

I was going to get my custom guitar with a dark pink flame top on it, but he wanted $350 extra for the finish. Screw that!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
FireHawk
All Hail Ze Llama!
20 IQ
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yeah. Blue and Green aren't as common on guitars.

I'd love to see a really nice green or blue flame on some higher end guitars, but really the only ones I've seen them on are ESPs. There was this Carvin I saw a few years ago with a Purple quilt top, absolutely beautiful!

I was going to get my custom guitar with a dark pink flame top on it, but he wanted $350 extra for the finish. Screw that!

You sure your not a pink flame?
Last edited by FireHawk at Dec 17, 2011,
chrism3006
Long Term GAS Sufferer
143 IQ

I hate vocal riding
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
ENGL E530 Preamp

Music:

Last edited by chrism3006 at Dec 17, 2011,
MatrixClaw
UG God
1,092 IQ
Quote by FireHawk
You sure your not a punk flame?

'Twas going to be like this!

Quote by chrism3006

I hate vocal riding

You automating that all with a mouse?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
guitarmaniac88
216 IQ
So I downloaded WinRAR and tried unzipping the file. I eventually got to where in the WinRAR program, I see the two files: MrBigBass.wav and MrBigDrums.wav. When I try to do anything with these, it pops up with an error saying something like the archive is in unknown format or is damaged. Should I try to redownload your file or is there another solution?
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
MatrixClaw
UG God
1,092 IQ
^That's odd. I just downloaded it from my link onto another computer and it works completely fine for me. I'd try downloading again, maybe it got corrupt on download or something, I have no idea
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com