Page 4 of 108
So, uh, did anyone have thoughts about the song I posted? (Go one page back)

I some wanted feedback

And monitors, oh man, do I need em.
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Rubixcuba. I like that.

Quote by Fenderhippie69
Orange amps FTW!
Quote by MatrixClaw
I have owned 3 ULs, and only one of them I liked. It's my conclusion that those amps have huge variation in them, and unless I could try a bunch before I bought it, I will never spend money on a UL again. They're really cool amps when they're done right, but 2 out of 3 that I owned, I thought sounded absolutely horrible

Still though, I like amps that have more emphasis on high mids now. Now that I look back on it, though, that has pretty much always been the case. There's only a handful of low-mid oriented amps that I really like, as apposed to the long list of high-mid amps that I love. The only problem is, I don't feel like the pricetag associated with the high-mid voiced amps is justifiable, as most of them, I only liked one or two tones (which were very good, mind you), as apposed to the lower-mid oriented amps, which I liked many tones

I've come to a point now, though, where I've pretty much owned everything there is to own, and I can finally go back and reflect on the amps I've owned over the years that I loved everything about them. Surprisingly, very few of these amps are what I'd consider "high end." Really the only exception being my Herbert, but I just can't justify keeping around an amp worth so much money. My 5150 ends up getting much more use, because I'd rather wear out a $500 amp, than a $3000 amp

It's been here for weeks, ya n00b!

I is no noob, I take offense to that statement. I just click on new posts all the time and enter what thread catches my eye at the time.
Quote by Rubixcuba
Hey guys, don't know if any of you remember my thread from a few weeks back. Anyway, my setup is still the same. I have an Akai MPK Mini arriving soon and I'm saving up for some monitors/microphones.

So, I showed my friend Garageband and some of the guitar amps. End result was this song he made in a few minuets: http://eurmusic.bandcamp.com/track/josef
We mucked around with some effects and it was done. He's gotten positive feedback from friends and just in general, so that's good news.

Of course, I'm sure there is a lot that could be improved mixing wise. What do you think from a recording perspective? Most people I know just want the song, but if we did another take, what would I be able to improve on provided I had some monitors?

Your guitars are very bass heavy that is the first thing you should work on (such as at 1:55). The mids are also muddy. Did you record this with a line in/mic in on computer?
I have what I feel is quite a silly question :P

I was wondering if anyone could advise someone who is just beginning to record, how I should record guitar tracks, mainly should i have a dedicated clean guitar track and a distorted one? or would it be alright to record both in the same track and just turn on the distortion when need?
Quote by Y157
I have what I feel is quite a silly question :P

I was wondering if anyone could advise someone who is just beginning to record, how I should record guitar tracks, mainly should i have a dedicated clean guitar track and a distorted one? or would it be alright to record both in the same track and just turn on the distortion when need?

i personally believe they should be recorded seperate
If you can record them is separate tracks, then definitely do it.

When you come to the final mix, you'll probably want different volume levels, effect levels, panning etc for the clean & distorted tracks, so using different tracks makes that possible.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by MatrixClaw
I have owned 3 ULs, and only one of them I liked. It's my conclusion that those amps have huge variation in them, and unless I could try a bunch before I bought it, I will never spend money on a UL again. They're really cool amps when they're done right, but 2 out of 3 that I owned, I thought sounded absolutely horrible
KT-88's sound pretty lifeless and brittle when you aren't cookin' them, so yeah I'd agree. And ULs are awful thru Vintage30s

Quote by MatrixClaw
My 5150 ends up getting much more use, because I'd rather wear out a $500 amp, than a $3000 amp
I don't feel too bad when I pour drinks on my XXX for the same reason.

Quote by FireHawk
keyboards can never be to big (says me who owns to many boards)
Never when you're playing them.. always when I have to load them into my truck. It was cheaper to buy a new midi controller than it was to buy a case for the Yamaha.

I know this is Ultimate GUITAR.. but when are we getting a keyboard forum?
Last edited by BobDetroit at Jan 9, 2012,
Quote by BobDetroit
KT-88's sound pretty lifeless and brittle when you aren't cookin' them, so yeah I'd agree. And ULs are awful thru Vintage30s

I don't feel too bad when I pour drinks on my XXX for the same reason.

Yeah, it's not that I abuse my gear or anything, quite the opposite, they never really even leave my studio, but there's just something about constantly using a $4600 amp that scares me

I dunno, the ULs I've had were all played through the same cab, with Vintage 30s. The one I had sounded AMAZING, but the rest were just boring and lifeless. I'm kind of on the fence with KT-88s, they seem to sound great in some amps and horrid in others, and I realize the dry/lifeless sound is kind of the VHT tone, but the other two ULs were just so dead sounding, I can't see how anyone would've liked that
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Got bored and did a vocal cover of Santeria by Sublime.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4018922/Santeria.mp3

Bit pitchy here and there, but not bad for only one take, I suppose

I hate my voice, but that's beside the point

I was mainly just testing out the mic (Neumann TLM103).
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by FireHawk
probably never lol in the pit there is a keyboard thread though

UG Offical Keyboard Thread

Gotta agree with this - never is the usual answer.

I've seen a Keyboard forum requested in the site suggestions area a few times. Each time the request is denied because the thread in the pit hardly ever gets used so there's no point in creating a forum.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Alright guys, here's a test for you, try and guess what amp I used to record this...sorry for the sloppy tracking, it's late, and I'm using headphones and a rather interesting setup to record this...and it's a bit more difficult to record a 4 string bass to a 7 string guitar than I thought it was gonna be.

Anyways, here's the amps I have available, but which one created this tone?
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ethan_hanus/music/all/play1076223

Valveking 112
Ibanez ACA10
AudioChoice QM4
Yamaha GA-10
Peavey Rage 108
Quote by ethan_hanus
Alright guys, here's a test for you, try and guess what amp I used to record this...sorry for the sloppy tracking, it's late, and I'm using headphones and a rather interesting setup to record this...and it's a bit more difficult to record a 4 string bass to a 7 string guitar than I thought it was gonna be.

Anyways, here's the amps I have available, but which one created this tone?
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ethan_hanus/music/all/play1076223

Valveking 112
Ibanez ACA10
AudioChoice QM4
Yamaha GA-10
Peavey Rage 108

take it to the gear section :p

j/k
Quote by FireHawk
probably never lol in the pit there is a keyboard thread though

UG Offical Keyboard Thread
Oh! Thanks! The Pit.. Hmmm

Quote by GaryBillington
Gotta agree with this - never is the usual answer.

I've seen a Keyboard forum requested in the site suggestions area a few times. Each time the request is denied because the thread in the pit hardly ever gets used so there's no point in creating a forum.
I've seen that too.. probably because it wouldn't ever get used.

Anyway. I pickup up a Native Instruments Alicia's Keys for $50.. Wow that sounds good.
Welp, finally getting my big ass check from my work. Getting $2000 on Friday. Got a few bills and other things to pay but I'm picking up a pair of KRK Rokit 8's of Ebay for $400. My guitar player said he'd chip in $100 so $300 out of my pocket for a pair of 8s is pretty good.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Welp, finally getting my big ass check from my work. Getting $2000 on Friday. Got a few bills and other things to pay but I'm picking up a pair of KRK Rokit 8's of Ebay for $400. My guitar player said he'd chip in $100 so $300 out of my pocket for a pair of 8s is pretty good.

Get a pair of M-Audio DSM2s on AudioMIDI instead, well worth it

P.S. Sellin mah Diezel tonight, soz I can buy me an Axe-FX II
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Does anyone have the faintest idea how to get a decent heavy rock tone out of a POD UX2? I've come back to messing around with it now I've finally got a working webcam, and everything I try sounds really over-processed and flabby, even with extremely low bass and high treble/middle. I'm recording from an Epiphone Les Paul into the UX2 (which is connected the PC via USB) into REAPER. Am I just cack, and need to keep trying? :P
Quote by Gu1tar K1d
Does anyone have the faintest idea how to get a decent heavy rock tone out of a POD UX2? I've come back to messing around with it now I've finally got a working webcam, and everything I try sounds really over-processed and flabby, even with extremely low bass and high treble/middle. I'm recording from an Epiphone Les Paul into the UX2 (which is connected the PC via USB) into REAPER. Am I just cack, and need to keep trying? :P

Get the Metal Shop pack. The stock sounds in POD Farm kinda suck IMO.

Either that, or use a free VST like TSE's X50 or LePou's Legion, with LeCab 2 to load some impulses of your choice. They sound more realistic than any POD Farm model anyway
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

Either that, or use a free VST like TSE's X50 or LePou's Legion, with LeCab 2 to load some impulses of your choice. They sound more realistic than any POD Farm model anyway

Pretty much this. I'd get all LePou amps except the le594 or w/e. they all have a use for something.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Are they compatible with the UX2? I had a swing at using them, apparently noise is being recorded but it won't play through my speakers, which is odd as I can get a signal from Pod Farm using exactly the same setup, just changing the input.
Quote by Gu1tar K1d
Are they compatible with the UX2? I had a swing at using them, apparently noise is being recorded but it won't play through my speakers, which is odd as I can get a signal from Pod Farm using exactly the same setup, just changing the input.

Sure they are.

You need to run the amp sim in conjunction with LeCab2/Kefir/some other impulse loader, and load in an impulse for your cab, otherwise, it'll just sound like you plugged a distortion pedal directly into your ux2 and hit record with nothing else on the track
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Welp, I upgraded to the iPhone 4S the other day. Its now my new friend in the studio. Got some sweet new synths and such on it!

Yup :p
Quote by lockwolf
Welp, I upgraded to the iPhone 4S the other day. Its now my new friend in the studio. Got some sweet new synths and such on it!

Yup :p

what ya using on it?
Quote by FireHawk
what ya using on it?

So far, Animoog, iMaschine & Akai's SynthStation. Also got AC-7 Core Mini setup with Pro Tools. I'm thinking about getting the Kaaos Pad for it but cant justify $20 at the moment.

Once I get a Midi hookup for it, hell yeah!
... and will they work with the iPhone 4 on iOS5?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by lockwolf
So far, Animoog, iMaschine & Akai's SynthStation. Also got AC-7 Core Mini setup with Pro Tools. I'm thinking about getting the Kaaos Pad for it but cant justify $20 at the moment.

Once I get a Midi hookup for it, hell yeah!

imma have to check these in the app store
Quote by axemanchris
... and will they work with the iPhone 4 on iOS5?

CT

Yup. Even the 3GS but they recommend at least the 4
Wish people would develop music stuff for Android. All that crap is on the iPhone only, which is saddening, because most of the newer Android phones slay the iPhone in performance, and have a lot more customization
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Wish people would develop music stuff for Android. All that crap is on the iPhone only, which is saddening, because most of the newer Android phones slay the iPhone in performance, and have a lot more customization

I make it a rule to never purchase any product starting with a lower case 'i'.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by MatrixClaw

I agree that the newer Android phones kill in performance. The problem is, with iPhone, you're developing for 5 or 6 different devices (iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPod Touch and iPad 2) with all similar stats, processors and whatnot. With Android, you're looking at 40+ devices, all with different processors, ram, specifics and such.

From a performance standpoint, Android wins. From a development standpoint, iPhone wins.
Anyone ever had this issue?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4018922/idkbffjill.mp3

On the clean tracks, the guitar is having popping and weird clipping sounds, but it's the same guitar/pickup/cable used on the distorted tracks, and it's definitely not clipping coming in, because the signal is around -18dB RMS. There's no visible peaking, in fact, the signal is far off from clipping.

I'm thinking it might be the EMGs in the guitar, but I've never had this issue before with them. Weird...

Quote by GaryBillington
I make it a rule to never purchase any product starting with a lower case 'i'.

I kind of miss some features on my iPhone, but Android has opened me up to a lot more things I can do with my phone, that iOS couldn't.

Quote by lockwolf
I agree that the newer Android phones kill in performance. The problem is, with iPhone, you're developing for 5 or 6 different devices (iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPod Touch and iPad 2) with all similar stats, processors and whatnot. With Android, you're looking at 40+ devices, all with different processors, ram, specifics and such.

From a performance standpoint, Android wins. From a development standpoint, iPhone wins.

Definitely. Just like all the Mac computers, they make it easy for developers to have applications that work across all their machines.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Definitely. Just like all the Mac computers, they make it easy for developers to have applications that work across all their machines.

Yup, its like Mac Vs. PC in a sense. Just cuz something runs on one PC really well doesn't mean its going to run well on another. Like Portal 2, runs perfect on my recording PC but on my similar spec'd laptop, doesn't. Kinda bugs me, I wanna think with Portals.

Also, anyone have any idea on how to fix a firewire card? I picked up a 3-Port Siig Firewire card, I kept getting a Code 10 error (Device won't start), I saw a tip on the web to use the Legacy drivers, didn't fix it. Restarted my PC, now it won't boot. Anyone got any ideas?
Nevermind, fixed it. Had to unplug it and restart the system without it in. It kept thinking the old card was in there so it kept using the drivers for it instead of my new card.

Hopefully, everything I've had wrong with FireWire, Pro Tools and my Mackie Onyx 1640 will go away because of this.
Figured out the popping issue is with Reaper. Still haven't figured out how to fix it, but I'm pretty much to my wit's end at this point. ****ing tired of all of Reaper's bugs.

*Buys Cubase 6*
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Figured out the popping issue is with Reaper. Still haven't figured out how to fix it, but I'm pretty much to my wit's end at this point. ****ing tired of all of Reaper's bugs.

*Buys Cubase 6*

Give up on Pro Tools and there ****ing everyone over?
Quote by FireHawk
Give up on Pro Tools and there ****ing everyone over?

Eh, I've never really used my copy of Pro Tools 9 TBH. It frustrates me that I can't use a lot of the VST plugins I regularly use, and I can't seem to figure out why the hell it doesn't show Superior 2.0 in the plugin list, even though the plugin is installed to the correct folder. Plus, the workflow completely confuses me and I was playing with it yesterday and the program crashed 3 times, and I was barely doing anything on it

PS: Digi 003+ Factory is the Stupid Deal of the Day today for $700 off:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid/?icid=111130_001_hpsh3_pd

Too bad Avid angers me
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Anyone ever had this issue?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4018922/idkbffjill.mp3

On the clean tracks, the guitar is having popping and weird clipping sounds, but it's the same guitar/pickup/cable used on the distorted tracks, and it's definitely not clipping coming in, because the signal is around -18dB RMS. There's no visible peaking, in fact, the signal is far off from clipping.

I'm thinking it might be the EMGs in the guitar, but I've never had this issue before with them. Weird...

Change your pick-up battery. I had similar sound when mine were dying.