Page 5 of 108
Quote by ShevanelFlip
Change your pick-up battery. I had similar sound when mine were dying.

Wasn't the battery, cause it did it with my passive guitar too. Something wrong with Reaper
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Welp, I'm once again hating not being a drummer. I'm working on a new track for my side project, trying to program drums. Nothing can give me that big sound I'm looking for as far as drum machines. Cant get a good sound out of Addictive, NI's Abbey Road or EZDrummer, don't have enough hard drive for Superior 2.0 and I can't find my disc for Steven Slate.

Gonna try drastic measures. Gonna use a raw kit in Addictive and mixing from there. Hopefully, I can get the sound I'm looking for that way. Yup, First World Problems suck
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
One thing that I used to do is find some drum samples online. There are tons of great samples out there. You can copy/paste the samples onto a grid. It's a pain in the ass, but if it gets you the sounds you want, then I say its worth it.

Also, you could look into drum replacement, like Drumagog. That way, you can record the midi kick sound, then use replacement technology to replace that kick sound with whatever kick you want. Much less of a pain than copy pasta, but it costs a bit of money.
Quote by FireHawk
NI Battery 3 + Compression + Reverb is where its at :p

I keep forgetting I have that :p

Quote by chaosmoon
One thing that I used to do is find some drum samples online. There are tons of great samples out there. You can copy/paste the samples onto a grid. It's a pain in the ass, but if it gets you the sounds you want, then I say its worth it.

Also, you could look into drum replacement, like Drumagog. That way, you can record the midi kick sound, then use replacement technology to replace that kick sound with whatever kick you want. Much less of a pain than copy pasta, but it costs a bit of money.

Or I could just import the samples into Battery 3. I just haven't found any samples I like on the net. Besides, I have Drumagog, I just haven't gotten it to work properly.
Metal Machine EZX
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Wow, I was expecting my room to be much worse than this:

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Which recording software i should use for melodic death metal sound? Im composed song like In flames. Now i want to give it a sound like In flames.

Thanks.
Quote by Free_Fall
Which recording software i should use for melodic death metal sound? Im composed song like In flames. Now i want to give it a sound like In flames.

Thanks.

Pretty much any up-to-date DAW. The differences between the sound of the recording program (DAW) is so small I wouldn't expect anyone new or even relatively experienced to notice it without being told what to listen for,and that is mainly just the differences in the algorithms used by the software to sum everything at the output stage (i.e the way they combine the tracks just before the output stage, done by a summing bus in analogue consoles).

Basically, your choice of software should not be too heavily influenced by the genre(s) you're working with aside from stuff like FL Studio, Reason and Ableton Live being aimed more at electronic/synth-driven music a bit more.

Quote by FireHawk
I cannot find open high hats I like online. Idk why I am to picky I guess?

If you're still after some, can have the samples I took of our setup for our upcoming album? I took open, half open and closed as well as pedalled hats I believe
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Jan 30, 2012,
Hey

I am a complete noob in the recording world and have no idea on where to start.
My gear consists in an Ibanez rg1570 and a cheap small amplifier.
I am experimenting with recordings using the laptop webcam but they sound awful.The sound is very raw.
What do I need? Better amplifier? Multi-effects? New pick-ups? Recording stuff?
And what about backing tracks? Where do people get them? Or do they just play over the complete song?

thx
Woooo! Finally gettin my acoustic insulation tomorrowz. So excite!

Quote by Adrian276
Hey

I am experimenting with recordings using the laptop webcam but they sound awful.The sound is very raw.
And what about backing tracks? Where do people get them? Or do they just play over the complete song?

thx

You need a recording interface.

Also, usually people on YouTube just play over the actual song for their videos, but if you want to do it right, you need to make the whole backing track yourself
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Adrian276
Hey

thx

It's also worth considering getting a multitracker if you're just wanting to record at home for your own purposes. They have all the same basic functions as software DAWs and are easier to use, so they will take less time away from your guitar playing than software would.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Got my acoustic treatment today.

15 4" Roxul RHT40 panels and 3 1" Roxul RHT80 panels (to make something similar to the SE Reflexion Filter).

So excite
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
You need a recording interface

Hmm...Is the microphone of my laptop enough? Or do I need any specifical hardware?
What about the software?

A multitracker? They sound very synthetic, no? What do you guys use?
Quote by Adrian276
Hmm...Is the microphone of my laptop enough? Or do I need any specifical hardware?
What about the software?

A multitracker? They sound very synthetic, no? What do you guys use?

No, the mic in your laptop is not good enough - That's what you're hearing in your videos. If you mean the mic input, you can try plugging guitar directly into it and using an amp sim, but it will most likely sound very poor.

You either need an audio interface, like a Line 6 POD Studio, Focusrite Saffire 6 or an M-Audio Fast Track, or a multitracker as Gary has mentioned, which is basically your audio interface and computer software built into one unit. Multitrackers are great if you need it to be portable, if you have an old, poorly spec'd, computer and can't afford upgrading it as well, or the place you plan on recording is too far from the computer you'll be using to record with. Good USB/Firewire interfaces often cost less than the good multitrackers, and have better mic preamps for the price, but also require you to have a decent computer to fully utilize them; if you decide to go this route, I'd recommend Reaper as a software - It's free to evaluate as long as you want (it will tell you the demo is only good for 30 days, but will continue to let you use the full software after that time) and if you like it, is only $60 to buy.

P.S. To anyone who wants one - The Shure SM58 is for sale on Hello Music's site right now for $74. Add the guitar detailer thing in the accessories section and you can get both for under $80 with the coupon $25 off on your first order coupon that should be at the top of your screen when you click "Special Offer."

http://www.hellomusic.com/ec/DealMain.aspx?did=13023&cat=PROMO

I had a $25 credit, so I got both for $54
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Can somebody tell me a good recording programme?
I have been using Audacity and Samplitude 11
I've recorded with Zoom G1U and Superlux D10B mic.
Quote by Late96
Can somebody tell me a good recording programme?
I have been using Audacity and Samplitude 11
I've recorded with Zoom G1U and Superlux D10B mic.

Reaper is always the answer to that one - free to try for thrity days, but the trail period never ends.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
i really really need this answered
SORRY IF THIS QUESTION HAS ALREADY BEEN ASKED

What is the cable I need to connect from my amp to my computer (Windows Vista) to record!?!?!
It would also help if you provided a link to the product at Guitar Center's website
Quote by sanjinator17
My trial is coming to a close, so lets hope you're right

He is but I think you should support reaper. A very cheap DAW that can compete with all the big DAWs. If I used Reaper I know I would pay for a full licences. The small developers of DAWs and VSTs that ask for donation deserve them (essentially that is what Reaper is doing, although they market it a little different).
I have a Shure 58A dynamic microphone which I have plugged into my computers "Mic input" through an XLR cable and a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adapter. But I don't get any sound through my speakers nor any recorded sound in the computer.
I have run out of ideas, could you help me?
Quote by SicCazee
I have a Shure 58A dynamic microphone which I have plugged into my computers "Mic input" through an XLR cable and a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adapter. But I don't get any sound through my speakers nor any recorded sound in the computer.
I have run out of ideas, could you help me?

Your soundcard input has no microphone preamp, as it isn't designed for pro-level audio or recording with - you either need a cheap mic preamp, to get basic results, or preferably to get an audio interface which has a mic preamp and will also replace your computer's crappy stock soundcard. It will also provide the correct impedance for the mic allowing it to function at its best, which a stock soundcard definitely couldn't do even if it had a basic preamp built-in.

Also, which model of the '58 series is your mic? PG58? SM58? Beta 58A? If it is the PG series you may want to sell it off and buy a decent mic, as the PG series are no better than the mics that come with karaoke machines.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Feb 11, 2012,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Your soundcard input has no microphone preamp, as it isn't designed for pro-level audio or recording with - you either need a cheap mic preamp, to get basic results, or preferably to get an audio interface which has a mic preamp and will also replace your computer's crappy stock soundcard. It will also provide the correct impedance for the mic allowing it to function at its best, which a stock soundcard definitely couldn't do even if it had a basic preamp built-in.

Also, which model of the '58 series is your mic? PG58? SM58? Beta 58A? If it is the PG series you may want to sell it off and buy a decent mic, as the PG series are no better than the mics that come with karaoke machines.

Thx for the info.
I have a Shure Beta 58A.
Could I have some tip on the best of the cheap audio interfaces?
I only need two preamp inputs, I record metal vocals, clean and screaming/growling.
A preamp that I've found is Focusrite's Scarlett 2i2, but I can only find like recordings of real soft vocals and nylon guitars, so I don't know if it can handle the genre that I'm recording.
Last edited by SicCazee at Feb 12, 2012,
Today, I was digging through my old singers bag of shit he left. Found a wireless mic adapter and receiver. Basically, its to turn an xlr mic to a wireless. Digging through more, found a SM58 and ProCo Rat.

Score
Quote by SicCazee
Could I have some tip on the best of the cheap audio interfaces?
I only need two preamp inputs, I record metal vocals, clean and screaming/growling.
A preamp that I've found is Focusrite's Scarlett 2i2, but I can only find like recordings of real soft vocals and nylon guitars, so I don't know if it can handle the genre that I'm recording.

Don't look at things like mic preamps, audio interfaces and (to a lesser extent) microphones as specific to a set genre(s) - the ideal interface, preamp or mic would have a perfectly flat frequency response and be as accurate to what is in the room as possible, in other words translating with no distortion or artifacts. No such product can exist, in the analogue world, but these days most equipment is better than stuff that cost way more a few decades back (and a lot safer too!).

Your chosen genre is fairly irrelevant until you're at the level of technical expertise to actually hear noticeable differences between the qualities of the various products on the market with ease. While a pro engineer may choose a compressor like the Urei 1176 or Empirical Labs EL-8 Distressor for compressing the kick or snare in a metal mix, due to the ultra-fast attack curve of these units, and their relatively high compression ratio (as well as audible distortion artifacts if desired, with the EL-8), it is unlikely that a newcomer to the recording world would notice any difference between gain-matched outputs of either of those units and a software compressor, optical compressor, VCA compressor or variable mu compressor etc.

In simpler words, just get the cleanest, and best quality unit you can afford and you'll use it for longer before needing to upgrade if/when you decide to get more into engineering and want something from the higher end of the market.

As for tips, I've not looked into that end of the market since 2008 when I bought my Apogee Duet (still use it everyday for anything up to two inputs, and as my monitor controller) but that is Mac-only and pretty expensive for a two-input unit, though on the plus side the recently-released Duet 2 is USB rather than FireWire so more people can use it (those with MacBooks) and has a really fancy touchscreen that I wish my original Duet had!

Also, damn you lockwolf - you and Matrix always seem to end up with decent gear for free! The only things I find for free are plectrums, mic stand thread adapters and the occasional IEC/'kettle' lead
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Feb 12, 2012,
Quote by lockwolf
You need this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/line-6-pod-studio-gx-with-pod-farm

Plug your GUITAR into that. Don't plug your amp into it, thats for little shits that don't know what they're doing

I have done years of podcasting through a mackie board into my computer, can my guitar run into that without using the POD or would i still need that as an interface? Sorry... i am in another country and don't get home till next week so i can't test which is why i am asking. would i go guitar to amp then amp to mackie board or would i just go guitar to board? i am not sure how that would work. I currently have 4 XLR channels for the mics that have the phantom power and 2 standard jacks that would accommodate a guitar jack. thought?
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Hey there UG. I recently got a DRI100 microphone so I could record myself playing accoustic guitar. The guy at Guitar Center recommended it and it was one of the cheapest thing there. He said we need a wire to connect it to my computer for recording purposes. What wire is this and where can I buy it? The wire he was pointing to was 60$. Seemed very high for just a wire. What is this wire and can I buy it online for cheaper? Did I make a good purchase?

Edit- I'm not really trying to record anything amazing. I'm quite poor and the DRI was my christmas present as well as some new string. With the little research I did. I think all I need to start recording is a XLR cable. This is more for just for me to hear myself and criticise myself play. The guy there tried to sell me an "Icicle cable"
Edit 2- Ok, with even more research, I think I need to switch from analog to digital. Will any standard XLR cable that's like 5 $ work or do I need something like
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mxl-usb-mic-mate-classic
I'm really new to this recording thing.
Quote by Kyose
You sir are my God.

That game had the best synthesis system ever.

Quote by firebird103
I'm pretty sure you just won the thread. I can confirm everything you just said as well being a heavily qualified geek myself....

Congrats sir
Last edited by Thepredster at Feb 13, 2012,
Quote by Thepredster
Hey there UG. I recently got a DRI100 microphone so I could record myself playing accoustic guitar. The guy at Guitar Center recommended it and it was one of the cheapest thing there. He said we need a wire to connect it to my computer for recording purposes. What wire is this and where can I buy it? The wire he was pointing to was 60$. Seemed very high for just a wire. What is this wire and can I buy it online for cheaper? Did I make a good purchase?

Edit- I'm not really trying to record anything amazing. I'm quite poor and the DRI was my christmas present as well as some new string. With the little research I did. I think all I need to start recording is a XLR cable. This is more for just for me to hear myself and criticise myself play. The guy there tried to sell me an "Icicle cable"
Edit 2- Ok, with even more research, I think I need to switch from analog to digital. Will any standard XLR cable that's like 5 $ work or do I need something like
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mxl-usb-mic-mate-classic
I'm really new to this recording thing.
Did you tell him it was specifically for acoustic guitar (i.e didn't just say 'guitar') and that you had no other recording gear? If so, you've been completely ripped off unfortunately :/

That mic is a cheap rip-off of the Shure SM57, so is probably pretty lousy anyway, but more importantly - aside from beginners like yourself, only an idiot would choose a dynamic mic as first choice for an acoustic guitar. As is often the case with musical instrument shops, this once again proves most of the staff know nothing amd just want to push the products they're told to sell more of to unsuspecting people who deserve better.

In future, never seek your advice from such employees you don't know - instead bring a friend who knows his/her stuff along.

As for the cable, I suggest you return the mic (assuming you've had it less time than the return period) and as your first foray into the recording world your best bet given your lack of an audio interface etc. is to get a decent USB condenser mic. I believe Audio Technica still make the USB version of the AT2020, so that is my recommendation to you and will probably be the same as the cost of the mic you bought and the converter cable the shop assistant suggested.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Did you tell him it was specifically for acoustic guitar (i.e didn't just say 'guitar') and that you had no other recording gear? If so, you've been completely ripped off unfortunately :/

That mic is a cheap rip-off of the Shure SM57, so is probably pretty lousy anyway, but more importantly - aside from beginners like yourself, only an idiot would choose a dynamic mic as first choice for an acoustic guitar. As is often the case with musical instrument shops, this once again proves most of the staff know nothing amd just want to push the products they're told to sell more of to unsuspecting people who deserve better.

In future, never seek your advice from such employees you don't know - instead bring a friend who knows his/her stuff along.

As for the cable, I suggest you return the mic (assuming you've had it less time than the return period) and as your first foray into the recording world your best bet given your lack of an audio interface etc. is to get a decent USB condenser mic. I believe Audio Technica still make the USB version of the AT2020, so that is my recommendation to you and will probably be the same as the cost of the mic you bought and the converter cable the shop assistant suggested.

Yes I said it was specifically for acoustic guitar. I was afraid of this. I only got it yesterday and it was a surprise christmas present so I had no time for research. The AT2020 seems right for my budget and needs at the moment. Do I need an audio interface? I'm sure my soundcard on this laptop is godawful or does the AT2020 come with a good one for future reference?
Quote by Kyose
You sir are my God.

Quote by firebird103
I'm pretty sure you just won the thread. I can confirm everything you just said as well being a heavily qualified geek myself....

Congrats sir
Quote by Thepredster
Yes I said it was specifically for acoustic guitar. I was afraid of this. I only got it yesterday and it was a surprise christmas present so I had no time for research. The AT2020 seems right for my budget and needs at the moment. Do I need an audio interface? I'm sure my soundcard on this laptop is godawful or does the AT2020 come with a good one for future reference?

Well, you would need an interface or equivalent setup for a standard AT2020 (or any other professional microphone, for that matter) but if you can find the USB version of the AT2020 it has a small preamp and A/D converters on-board, acting as your soundcard when you record and negating the need for any additional hardware until you want to buy additional mics for other purposes, or to upgrade other elements of your setup.

This is the mic in question, but if it won't load that page (because you're not in the UK-region of Google shopping etc.) then this is what you need to look for wherever you choose to buy it from: link.

If the shop you bought the original mic from try to offer you a swap and refund/pay extra type deal, rather than a straight refund, I don't fully know the law in the US but I believe you can refuse and take the refund as long as the mic is in the same condition (i.e not damaged/scratched/dented etc.) and you have the original receipt and haven't had the product longer than 28 days. If they try to persuade you to settle for a swap plus a discount/vouchers or something, you may gain something there but tell them you only want to if it is for the mic you want (even if they have to order the mic in, it's worth it if you save money and get a possible discount on future purchases) but make sure you don't just take any mic again
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Feb 14, 2012,
Here's the link to the AT2020 on an American site:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/audio-technica-at2020-usb-condenser-mic

It's much cheaper on Amazon, though, so if the store you bought the Digital Reference mic at, has the AT2020, see if they'll price match Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT2020-USB-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B001AS6OYC

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the AT2020, but it's probably the best option you have right now and will be infinitely better for recording vocals and acoustic than the one you have now.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Thanks for everyones help. I finally got it and it works better then I thought it would. It was hard returning the DR100 tho because Guitar Centers policy but noted. Never shop at physical stores again. Thanks again for the help.
Quote by Kyose
You sir are my God.

Quote by firebird103

Congrats sir
Glad to hear it, and hope it inspires you to further interest in recording one day! One question though... what do you mean by "Guitar Center's policy but noted"? Did they try not to give you a refund? I tend to go by the 'try in a shop/real experience first and then shop around for the best price both online and in physical shops' approach, though with guitars and amps (even though I haven't bought either since 2008) I'd always buy instore as the quality of individual guitars can vary greatly and both are very expensive and heavy to have delivered!
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Glad to hear it, and hope it inspires you to further interest in recording one day! One question though... what do you mean by "Guitar Center's policy but noted"? Did they try not to give you a refund? I tend to go by the 'try in a shop/real experience first and then shop around for the best price both online and in physical shops' approach, though with guitars and amps (even though I haven't bought either since 2008) I'd always buy instore as the quality of individual guitars can vary greatly and both are very expensive and heavy to have delivered!

They didn't want to give us our money back because it's store policy that they can't return mics because of the germ issue. Same with harmonicas apparently. Complete contrast to the guy who sold it to me said. We ended up having to get the manager over and he ended up letting us return it. I didn't even open or use the DRI100 actually. In the end everything worked out but the whole experience pissed me off to no end. Especially since I could've gotten it cheaper online.
Guitars are a tad bit different or at least classical/acoustics. Order online and you don't know how the guitar is to it's already at your doorstep. Every guitar is different and you should try out every guitar in the GC before buying in my opinion. Not sure how that applies to Electric tho.
Quote by Kyose
You sir are my God.

Quote by firebird103

Congrats sir
Okay guys so my birthday is coming up and I feel like not spending it on alcohol but on some recording a equipment. Mainly a dynamic mic. I know your think wtf FireHawk is an00b he doesn't have a SM57. Well your right for the last 4 years I have had a buddy that would let me borrow one whenever. I am going to get an SM57 eventually, but my question is...for recording of ambience and other "experimental sounds" (think of hydraulic presses, dish washer, dryer, etc.) what is a good dynamic mic? Should I go with an SM57 or something else. My price range is right around a new SM57 (I don't start my real job until June so I don't have a ton of money.)

Note: if anyone has a Boss DR-110 for sale I am also interested in that :p
Quote by FireHawk
Okay guys so my birthday is coming up and I feel like not spending it on alcohol but on some recording a equipment. Mainly a dynamic mic. I know your think wtf FireHawk is an00b he doesn't have a SM57. Well your right for the last 4 years I have had a buddy that would let me borrow one whenever. I am going to get an SM57 eventually, but my question is...for recording of ambience and other "experimental sounds" (think of hydraulic presses, dish washer, dryer, etc.) what is a good dynamic mic? Should I go with an SM57 or something else. My price range is right around a new SM57 (I don't start my real job until June so I don't have a ton of money.)

Note: if anyone has a Boss DR-110 for sale I am also interested in that :p

Don't worry, I only got a '57 about a year ago for the first time Similar reason to yours as well!

It depends... are you likely to still have access to your friend's '57 for a while? If so, it might be worth experimenting with some others. I like the Audix i5 a little, though I tend to favour pairing an SM57 with a Sennheiser e906 (you can just get the e609 if you wanna save cash, but as fickle as it sounds I like having the optional filters to switch in/out). I can't afford one, but I really loved pairing a '57 with an AKG C414 as well though I'm not really suggesting that as one on it's own is around £700 and a matched pair was nearly £1,500 last time I checked!