I'm sure this has been asked before but...

Okay, so I've been playing guitar for a while now and I started out just learning some of my favourite songs.
But lately I've been taking it more seriously and learning about scales, keys and chord structures stuff like that.
So right now I'd say I have a just below average understanding of music.
I was wondering what everyone thinks is a good enough amount of knowledge to start a band or start making music.
Jim Morrison could never read music or anything

The Ramones knew jack shit when they started.... learned barre chords and very little else

Both rocked

So go for it. It can only make you better
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by :-D
Whenever you want. Doing both of those things will help you progress faster.

Exactly what I did. Worked for me.
Quote by AdamSevenfold
I was wondering what everyone thinks is a good enough amount of knowledge to start a band or start making music.

I've been writing music since the beginning. As soon as I learned basic theory and how to harmonize (...badly), I was off.

Starting a band? You have to be good enough to play the songs in your setlist. That's it. I'm still afraid to do it, though.
Starting a band when you barely have any experience is common practise and a devise that could/should give you part of the experience that will develope your abilities over time. So I don't see an issue with it. Tons of good musicians started some band when they were a youngun just starting out.
Theres a difference between "starting a band" and "playing a gig"

To use The Doors as a reference again (Im not a huge Doors fan by the way) they practiced for like a year or something before they played their first gig
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
What a lot of beginner guitarists don't understand is that playing in a band, with other people, is a separate skill to the technicalities of playing guitar and knowing music theory. You can write concertos and shred at 1,000 notes a second. That's cool, but if you can't play a 4/4 song in time with a drumset, or regard playing a full song as "boring" because there's repeating parts, you're a beginner in terms of band stuff.

And the only way to get better at playing with people is by playing with other people.

For this reason, if you can play a couple of chords, start playing in bands whenever you feel comfortable doing so. Yes it mayn't sound great at first - but as you play more it will sound better.

So as a direct answer, you are ready if you can play the songs required.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
but if you can't play a 4/4 song in time with a drumset, or regard playing a full song as "boring" because there's repeating parts, you're a beginner in terms of band stuff.

you haven't seen very many modern metal bands, alan

think of a band like a job. do you want to work full time with good wages? too bad, no experience, no degree. you have to go back and work with bands on your level and start developing so you have something to fill in "work experience" when you go up to audition for Metallica or something
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by AdamSevenfold
I'm sure this has been asked before but...

Okay, so I've been playing guitar for a while now and I started out just learning some of my favourite songs.
But lately I've been taking it more seriously and learning about scales, keys and chord structures stuff like that.
So right now I'd say I have a just below average understanding of music.

You dont have to know theory and all that to make music. All you need is people to make music with.

Best,

Sean
You are ready when your virginity is ready to be taken away.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by AlanHB
What a lot of beginner guitarists don't understand is that playing in a band, with other people, is a separate skill to the technicalities of playing guitar and knowing music theory. You can write concertos and shred at 1,000 notes a second. That's cool, but if you can't play a 4/4 song in time with a drumset, or regard playing a full song as "boring" because there's repeating parts, you're a beginner in terms of band stuff.

And the only way to get better at playing with people is by playing with other people.

For this reason, if you can play a couple of chords, start playing in bands whenever you feel comfortable doing so. Yes it mayn't sound great at first - but as you play more it will sound better.

So as a direct answer, you are ready if you can play the songs required.

+1 on this. Top notch advice imo