i have a B-52 LS-100. i love the amp but i want to put some LEDs on the inside to light it up when i turn it on. how should i go about doing this? and will it be the same for the valveking i'm going to pick up in a few months? and would it be possible to have two or three different colors so the glowing in the amp changes colors when the channel changes? thanks
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
do they sell... like... light bars? i dunno, maybe i'm not making sense
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

You can buy LEDs on Digikey.com. You just need to find a DC voltage in your amplifier that's ~5V (or use a low dropout voltage regulator to tap off a higher voltage to create this voltage) and use the correct resistor in series for each LED. I'm sure you can find an LED light bar on a different website but pretty much everyone uses Digikey or Mouser for the raw parts.

I'm sure it's possible to change the color when you change channels. You will either need to build the hardware to change the color when you change channels or use a microcontroller (software) to keep track of things. Changing the color isn't hard but it might be hard for someone that doesn't have much knowledge about electronics.
If you can find a location that's only on when the channel you want is on then you can just hook up LED's to each channel. this is the same process for whatever amp you'd want, even though the circuitry and thus spots you'll take the voltage from will change.

If you have no knowledge of electronics I probably wouldn't recommend trying this, unless someone knows a safe spot on these amplifiers to do it from. Amps aren't the safest thing to start playing around with electronically if you don't have some idea of what is going on.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
well i was thinking of having one color integrated into the circuit of the clean channel and another into each distortion channel... like, green, purple, blue... i dunno lol
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Im interested in this to haha. Ive been wanting to do this to my Peavey vk head for a while but i lack the sufficient knowledge of amps and circuitry to do it let alone do it safely.
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special
Go to your auto parts / detailing store. Get a 12" LED light strip in whatever colour you like which runs from 12v supply. They normally comes with the 12V controller as standard. Make sure the LED strip length can fit within your amp across its width. This bit you don't need any electronics knowledge to achieve.

Find the 12 volt supply rail from within the amplifers power supply and connect the strip light to it. Make sure you have the polarity correct when you connect it. This you will need to know some electronic knowledge, be proficient with a soldering iron and I heavily recommend a multimeter so you can determine the amplifiers power supply rails. Also disconnect the amp from the mains and discharge the mains input filter caps before you go poking around

Mount the strip light inside at the top of the chassis. If you did it correctly, it will look pretty sweet.

This will void any warranty (if you have any left) on the head. If you don't feel confident with poking around to find the 12V supply, don't even bother starting down this road. If you blow up your amp, you're pretty much on your own.
Last edited by Phoenix V at Dec 17, 2011,
what if i tapped into the channel indicator LEDs on the front of the amp?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Quote by IronMaiden76
what if i tapped into the channel indicator LEDs on the front of the amp?

Depends how much power that power supply rail can handle. Just say it's 5V and can only supply 100 mA (I've never seen the inside of an amp, so I don't know if this is reasonable/unreasonable). Your front LED is probably 5-20 mA in current depending on how bright it is, so you might only be able to put a couple LEDs on this power supply rail.

If you open your amp (discharge the caps though so you don't die), you can Google the power supply IC and see the power rating and see what it's powering. It'll probably be something like an LM317 I'm guessing.
mkay. i'll take a look at a schematic
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699