i have just in the last few days heard about a few people with people blowing an OT due to lack of load or whatever it be. the one that really sucks is the guy with the nitro.

it is really easy and cheap to insure it doesn't happen.

what i do when i am setting up or any amp is out of action for the moment is to stick a little bit of blue painter's tape over the input jack or on switch on the amp. stick it on your jeans a time or two so it isn't overly sticky and just stick it up there. i am almost positive that this will get your attention before you turn it on, and that is just a simple fail-safe for your ot's.

i have never turned an amp on without a load since i have done this.

painters tape $5

OT's $XXX.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
What I've considered doing is adding a dummy load that is switched in when the amp is unplugged. You can get high power wirewound resistors in metal heatsinks really cheap these days. They make them for flasher systems in cars and they come in 4, 8 and 16 ohm values at 25W. They are just screaming to be added to amps as dummy loads.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I do a similar thing. I have a small red hair tie that I wrap around the switches whenever I take a cable out for anything, or whenever I transport my head. As soon as the cable is plugged back in, the hair tie comes back off.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I do a similar thing. I have a small red hair tie that I wrap around the switches whenever I take a cable out for anything, or whenever I transport my head. As soon as the cable is plugged back in, the hair tie comes back off.

+sounds like another great way.

+1 to cath, but it takes a little more work, and if you have 12 heads and 9 cabs, thats not as plausable, but i bet with some of your wizardrady you could get one going.

the importiant thing is that you do something.

and save yourself a hassle and some money. i feel bad for the guy with the Nitro, heyboers are expensive, i have them in my 18 watt.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
^ Good advice. The guy, shikkaka, is normally very protective of his gear. He got caught up in an odd and confusing situation. It could basically happen to anyone.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504307&page=1&pp=20

Derek - you had some typos and such in your OP. You may not care, but just wanted you to know. Nice thread though - I've actually been thinking about it all day.

Cath - I think that is a great idea. Not sure on the costs or viability but it would be nice as an option or aftermarket add on.

My idea was a simple LED or something in the speaker insert jack that unless the LED was broken the amp would disable the Standby switch. Not sure if an LED would be the right thing but some kind of sensor. So that if you didn't have a 1/4" jack in the speaker out the amp would not come off standby. Would that work?

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ Good advice. The guy, shikkaka, is normally very protective of his gear. He got caught up in an odd and confusing situation. It could basically happen to anyone.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504307&page=1&pp=20

Derek - you had some typos and such in your OP. You may not care, but just wanted you to know. Nice thread though - I've actually been thinking about it all day.

Cath - I think that is a great idea. Not sure on the costs or viability but it would be nice as an option or aftermarket add on.

My idea was a simple LED or something in the speaker insert jack that unless the LED was broken the amp would disable the Standby switch. Not sure if an LED would be the right thing but some kind of sensor. So that if you didn't have a 1/4" jack in the speaker out the amp would not come off standby. Would that work?

as far as the typos go, its due to my keyboard, sometimes it doesn't work that well, some keys i have to hit five or six times, major PITA. grammer and spelling isn't the best because i have typed for so long with autocorrect in the hundred so papers i have done in my education (MBA).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I found Heyboer Transformers to be rather decently priced, unless custom ordered. They normally go below $100 mark at webers for Fender & Marshall amps. Mercury Magnetics are normally the expensive ones. There was another brand I knew that I can't seem to remember at the moment..

Question:
What exactly causes a transformer to blow(should the power tubes not blow first?) & can it not be prevented by having a fail-safe device built in the amp to prevent it from happening(e.g. resistor or something)?
I'm just curious about it
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Just don't be stupid.

+1

I'm not understanding how you could just forget something like that. That's like parking in a public place, and leaving your door open and your keys on the seat.

Though I suppose some people do that too
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I think the problem comes from trouble shooting.You set everything up properly and have a few issues. An expert will methodically work their way through everything but the guy with the Nitro, like me start pulling things out and putting them back. To me this is when things always go wrong.
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

How about $3 each? Four of them and you could make a 16 ohm 100W dummy load. I was thinking about using just one on the 18W'ers. Too easy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25W-16-ohm-16R-Aluminium-clad-Resistor-R-25-W-Watt-x-1-/270703517766?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f072fe046
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You'd just need a switched socket, just the normal type with the switch on the tip. Then you'd wire the resistor between the switched contact and the 16 ohm tap on the OT. If you wanted 100W you'd just wire them in series/parallel. Or you could just wire 4 of them in parallel and take it to the 4 ohm tap.
I don't know why it isn't common practice, probably just to save a buck. Those type of resistors with the heatsink are pretty new. 25W resistors used to be physically bigger. These automotive ones would be easy to mount too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I think the most important thing is telling your friends, bandmates, family, whoever that they are not allowed to touch your amp, under any circumstances.

One of the shittiest gear-related feelings I've experienced was coming home from a weekend away and hearing that my drunk roommates 'couldn't get my amp to work.' I had no clue what they tried, and neither did they. I obsessed over it for a month, but in the end all was fine. After that I set up my Valve Junior and said they could play that (simpler, cheaper)... But never touch my Bassman.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^ wait no but yeah

i've had a couple of close calls myself when troubleshooting but nothing major. Cath's idea seems hella less intrusive then mine.

Quote by Cathbard
You'd just need a switched socket, just the normal type with the switch on the tip. Then you'd wire the resistor between the switched contact and the 16 ohm tap on the OT. If you wanted 100W you'd just wire them in series/parallel. Or you could just wire 4 of them in parallel and take it to the 4 ohm tap.
I don't know why it isn't common practice, probably just to save a buck. Those type of resistors with the heatsink are pretty new. 25W resistors used to be physically bigger. These automotive ones would be easy to mount too.

I love you

any noise issues you can think of?
Actually, now that I think of it, when I bought that Bassman my friend picked it up for me and he said 'the guy even showed me the tubes lighting up, so I'm sure it works.' I said, oh he brought a speaker cab or something to plug it into?' My friend said '... uh no, he just had an inverter for his car and he plugged it in.'

I obsessed over that for a while too, but again all was well. Fender iron is bulletproof.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Ooops, not thinking straight. The resistor goes between the switched contact and ground. So it would always be a 16 ohm load regardless of tap selected but hey, it's just there to stop the OT blowing up if you forget to plug in a speaker. It aint like you'd be running it that way for any length of time. You could do it the way I said initially if you had a socket with the switch on grnd, which isn't common.
Can't imagine it adding noise, it's out of the circuit when a speaker is plugged in.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 16, 2011,
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Just don't be stupid. Plug it into a cab, always.

i dont know how many times you have tore your rig up and put it back together. i do it a moderate amount. take out twice a month or so (soon to be doing more solo gigs within a month or so). you are taking cables out of the bag, hook your effects in your loop, then a bandmate says something to distract you, all of a sudden you forget what you were doing, or you set the cable down for a minute to get another beer, pack of cigarettes, etc and dont remember to put the cable in. all of this you are usually in a rush, again complicating the situating, flip the amp on, wait then bam. its dead. it only takes once to cost you some money.

i really like cath's idea, and that may be great for some of you, but i will stick to my blue tape.

i really dont care what you do to remind you, i just posted this thread because i felt it needed to be brought up, so more people think of it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
BTW, Cathbard, your dummy load idea is brilliant. I just read it cause I am out on poker.

I'll have to d that some day.