I played an 80s model strat the other day and was curious what kind of neck they put on those. No one at the store knew if it was original or upgraded, so if anyone knows about these... Help? Thanks guys!
I'm not sure what you mean by "what kind of neck?" I take it that it is a Fender Stratocaster neck. Do you mean what kind of fretboard was used on it? Or do you mean did it have a "C" shape or a "V" shape?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Can you get us a serial number? That would help us greatly.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
more info is needed. are we talking early 80s strat or late 80s? japanese or US? reissue or standard model? just saying 80s strat doesn't mean much.
Back in the late 80's there was a Strat called an "HM Strat" (early ones were Japanese, later USA). It was Fender's answer to the trend of super stats. Had some 80's style graphics on the painted headstock. Is this what you're talking about? They had a faster neck, Kahler Spyder trem, locking nut, hot pups, etc.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Dec 16, 2011,
Quote by richardlpalmer
Back in the late 80's there was a Strat called an "HM Strat" (early ones were Japanese, later USA). It was Fender's answer to the trend of super stats. Had some 80's style graphics on the painted headstock. Is this what you're talking about? They had a faster neck, Kahler Spyder trem, locking nut, hot pups, etc.

Long live the 80s!

These were actually pretty sweet. They should have had an ebony fretboard, though.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
You lookin' to move either of those?

I've found some on FleaBay but haven't decided to make the leap yet.

I remember sitting in the music store (worked in one at the time -- but had NO money and these things were pricey) and playing one of these. It was the first guitar I actually felt made me sound markedly better than I was.

In contrast, playing the Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster made me feel horrible about my playing. That thing was just ridiculously out of my league...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
I've yet to find myself a nice HM Strat for sale with a maple neck. Gotta have maple.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
That's not very nice...

*FLAG*

Personal foul! Unsportsmanlike conduct! 15 Yard penalty. Automatic first down!
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Sorry it took me a while to get back...

I haven't had time to get back to them during open hours about it so this is all I've got: http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm

Sorry I definitely should have been more specific. I was probably thinking what was the shape, "V" or "C" or something else? And what was the radius? And foul on my part, it was a Plus model not a Player model...
Strat plus had a 9.5" radius and a C-shape neck. Pretty standard fare, many current Fender necks should be very close.
Quote by Roc8995
Strat plus had a 9.5" radius and a C-shape neck. Pretty standard fare, many current Fender necks should be very close.

that's modern C just so you know. the american standard has this same spec as well as the deluxes prior to last year. the new ones have a compound radius neck.
Good point. That's an important distinction. The neck profile doesn't seem to have changed much, still basically the same C it always was, but the compound radius is a departure.
The HM Strats have awesome necks! Too bad they used the shitty Khaler spyders. Every part of the bridge is made from stupidly soft metal. Mine's blocked with a tremol-no.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
The HM Strats have awesome necks! Too bad they used the shitty Khaler spyders. Every part of the bridge is made from stupidly soft metal. Mine's blocked with a tremol-no.

Back in the day they felt like the shizzle. I was in awe...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native