Right, so im looking to get my hands on an acoustic guitar because most of what I play now (the songs I write and oasis and shinedown acoustics), sound better on an acoustic. I was thinking about an Epiphone EJ-200, I played a couple in verious music stores in the states while I was moving around and like the sound you get from them for oasis acoustics (probably because thats what Noel used to use until he got a gibson J-200). Only problem being, its a jumbo. What would you guy recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Oasis nut
Gear: Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Ej-200, Peavey Studio Pro 40, Digitech RP55, Boss ME-20. Too many pedals to list.
Latest additions: epiphone ej-200, boss me-20

Quote by DAiMIteHan

Am I old enough to wear this fist in school?
I am by no means the best person to give this advice as I am new to guitar. However, I did recently receive a Yamaha APX500II acoustic/electric as a Christmas gift. It stays in tune really well, and has a great acoustic sound. I had a friend of mine who plays phenomonally look at it. He played it and really loved it. I have one with a black body and neutral banding like a Les Paul type look. It has a tuner built into the body. I don't know what kind of tone you want, but I am really loving mine.
I like the deep tone (listen to any Oasis live acoustic version and you see what I mean haha). And the songs I write dont really have the right feeling to have a bright tone like a taylor gives. But A friend of mine did suggest a Taylor 110E. Whats the action like on the Yamaha? How much was it? What kindve sound do you get out of it? Thanks.
Oasis nut
Gear: Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Ej-200, Peavey Studio Pro 40, Digitech RP55, Boss ME-20. Too many pedals to list.

Quote by DAiMIteHan

if you like the epiphone EJ-200, is it a problem that it's a jumbo?

my suggestions, and btw, i also like more bass and less brightness in many cases.

a blueridge br-40 -
http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/blueridge_br_40/52948/35958

or this recording king
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/recording-king-rd-10-dreadnought-classic-series--RD10.htm

the recording king is all solid, a big plus, but i really like the blueridge, also, and it has a more martinlike tone, where the rk's i've played have their own voice as well as that traditional sound.

if you're willing to go used, i'd suggest a martin x series dread - they tend to have more bass than most of the others in their price range. you can usually find them to try out at guitar center. another thought, a used epiphone masterbilt, which are all solid and some have good bass.

if you like deep tone, i can't see why you'd consider a taylor 110 as they are good quality but bright sounding guitars. i gave a pass to the yamaha apx series guitars i tried - while they look good at a distance (or close up if you like plastic rosettes), the apx series has cardboardy tone unplugged. i wanted to love them, but they just don't deliver tonally, and i've tried a lot of them. the yamaha fg700 and fg730 are good guitars, although not as dark as the ones i suggested, but definitely worth a try as they're in your price range and can be found at any gc.

btw, if you don't mind a jumbo, here's a guitar i haven't tried in the well-liked yamaha L line http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-l-series-lj6-jumbo-acoustic-guitar/h73370000001000
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Yeah I dont mind it being a jumbo. Little awkward to play at first but I guess ill get used to it haha. I really like the sound they give.
Oasis nut

Quote by DAiMIteHan

Any other suggestions? Want as many as I can so I can check em all out.
Oasis nut

Quote by DAiMIteHan

Art & Lutherie, Seagull, and Norman guitars are my favorites and my favorite local guitar store highly recommends them. They're a small brand made in Canada from real Canadian trees drug out of the forest by real lumberjacks so the quality of the materials is a lot higher than a lot of the epiphone, fender, etc. guitars. They're all Godin diminutives and are very high quality. I was just looking at guitars today and none of the ones I tried had near the build quality of the A&L or Seagulls that the store sells. Seagull is basically the same as A&L bt with a wider classical guitar sized neck. Very comfortable, great materials, high quality, and great price. Don't be afraid that $400 only gets you the entry level guitars, all of them have solid tops etc.

When I got my A&L, my fellow guitarist who toured for around 10 years and plays nothing with less than a $1000 price tag (he has 2 Alvarez Yairi's) said that it sounded like a $1000 to $1500 guitar. Total cost with a hard case and tax was around $500. I've had it for 3 years and use it live every weekend and nearly everyone is impressed the first time they see that it's not a Martin or a Taylor. If I could afford to own several of them or a higher priced one, I would buy it sight unseen that's how reliable and fairly priced they are.
Axes:
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG320FM
LTD GUS600
Kramer Striker
Acoustics:
Art & Lutherie CW Antique Burst
Stupid Ovation CC
Washburn 12 String
Amps:
Randall Colossus Head
Randall Century 170 Cab/Head
Fender Acoustasonic
If only id known about this while I was living in Canada.....THANKS =). What kinda sound do you get?
Oasis nut

Quote by DAiMIteHan

Quote by Josh01993
If only id known about this while I was living in Canada.....THANKS =). What kinda sound do you get?

Mines a dreadnaught cedar top cut-away and I use 80/20 bronze strings to get a nice shimmery sound. It's pretty well balanced, plenty of mids which is nice for hammering on notes within a chord. Strumming up by the neck gives it a real smooth sound where as strumming closer to the bridge gets a real strong bite. It's really well balanced but I'd say it has slightly more hi-mid range to it. I like the shimmery smooth treble sound and the ability to do legato within a chord and my A&L has the perfect sound for that. Great fingerstyle guitar.

Here's a link if you want to see/hear it through an outdated camera
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDh6Vhja5aA&list=UU5f4p-B1ajQr8FQUqVTY47g&index=3&feature=plcp

The Ibanez AEG20E flamed sycamore model was my other favorite at $300 but its older and the electronics are a bit out of date. Sounds beautiful unplugged but the pickup and preamp don't do it justice plugged in. Probably would've got that one about 6 months before I even heard of A&L if I didn't need to play it plugged in all the time. The A&L sounds great unplugged or straight through a PA, really good electronics for the price. There was also an all ash Ibanez thin body but it had a v-shape neck that killed it. Can't find it on MF though so I can't tell you the model.

Washburn also has some good ones but I don't know any of the model names and Breedlove's are really well engineered, heard lots of good things but never tried one. If there's a Lag dealer nearby, try them out. They're a French brand with lots of success in Europe and I've been dying to try their US models.

Brands to avoid: LTD, Ovation (uncomfortable and no good unplugged), Dean, Takamine (poor craftsmanship on the lower models so at least inspect it first), Rogue, Luna (very inconsistently made).

My idea has always been try as many brands, shapes, and materials as possible until you find what works. I tried every guitar that the store had for under $700 and spent 4 hours before the manager told me to try a plain looking A&L and it was instant success. Kinda like shopping for shoes, you try all different kinds, narrow it down, and when you find the one that fits, dang does it feel nice.
Axes:
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG320FM
LTD GUS600
Kramer Striker
Acoustics:
Art & Lutherie CW Antique Burst
Stupid Ovation CC
Washburn 12 String
Amps:
Randall Colossus Head
Randall Century 170 Cab/Head
Fender Acoustasonic
No love for the Seagull S6?

I haven't heard a better sounding guitar in that price range. However, I've never heard a blueridge, and some of the others in person either
Blueridge BR-160A
Whats the sounds like? Bright? Or bassy? Or somewhere in between.
Oasis nut

Quote by DAiMIteHan

seagull original s6 is one of the best sounding solid tops around - and i love that nice wide nut. of course, for those who don't love the wider neck, the s6 slim is the same guitar with a slender neck. beautiful tone, balanced with enough bass and a hint of sparkle in the top end.

and guitar center and musicians friend sales apply to the s6, which would bring it below $400.

Quote by silver8ack
No love for the Seagull S6?

I haven't heard a better sounding guitar in that price range. However, I've never heard a blueridge, and some of the others in person either
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by IbanezDudeCK

Brands to avoid: LTD, Ovation (uncomfortable and no good unplugged)

The uncomfortable part is your personal preference and whilst they ARE designed to be plugged in - higher end deepbowl Ovations/Adamas are fine unplugged/can compete with normal acoustics.

I would stay away from the ones in your price range though, I second trying the Recording King RD they are well made guitars.