REVIEW
Features: The Vypyr Tube 60 has 24 amp models (12 individual amps, each with a high- and low-gain variation), 11 stompbox models, and 11 effects, plus delay and reverb. It has a standard three-band EQ, pre- and post-gain knobs, a master volume knob, a headphone out, a USB out, an auxiliary in, the potential to be matched with an external cabinet, and a midi out/in. The built-in tuner isn't anything worth writing home about, so I still use my Korg CA-40, but overall, the other features more then make up for a shoddy tuner.

Sound: I love my Roadster's tone, so immediately I tried to recreate it on the Vypyr. I'd be lying if I said I matched it, but I did get fairly close. The Rectifier model is actually very nice. I have no experience with any other amp that is being modeled on the Vypyr, but they all sound good. I've found that I spend most of my time on the Rectifier and Diezel models, and they sound fantastic. The cleans are amazing and deep. The distorted amps, as mentioned, shine. The effects aren't the best ever, but they're very good still. The wah on the Sanpera II, however, is pretty hard to deal with. Again, though, one sour sound doesn't ruin the entire amp by any stretch. It's a great piece of equipment.

Overall: I ultimately bought this amp to take to college with me (yes, I talked to the housing department before making the purchase), but I've been using it at home a lot, too. I'm a tweaker when it comes to my tone, so I spend quite a bit of time sitting in front of it looking for my sound, and I've made much progress. But on days where I just plug it in and play, I go on for hours (when the day allows me to do so). Like I said, it's a great amp.

Concerning the Sanpera II: I use it once or twice a week when I plan on switching channels in the middle of whatever list of songs I decide to play. It's super helpful and worth the money. But the wah leaves something to be desired.

Clips
http://soundcloud.com/user8578971/sets/vypyr-tests
(I know they're not the greatest or fanciest clips ever, but I wanted to give a general representation of the sounds I was getting.)

Pictures
http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/g460/bAngiel01/NAD/
Here's a link to my NAD album. Inside are a few shots of the Vypyr and Sanpera, a family photo, and my new guitar stand that my girlfriend for for me for my birthday. It's a Hercules, and I love it.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Last edited by bAngiel01 at Dec 16, 2011,
I love the **** out of the Vypyr Tube. Welcome to the club
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Hnpvtad + Hnsiipd!
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Thanks, guys! If anyone has any tips/tricks/settings that they wouldn't mind sharing, I'd appreciate them very much.
And I'll add pictures soon. I promise.

Edit: Pictures have been added to the OP.
post clip to profile ploix

right now my favorite is Diezel red, no effects, pre 3pm, bass 10-11am, mid 2pm, treb 12noon, post gain 12 noon, master 11am. I've got it sitting in front of the fireplace but the bass and volume is still pretty focused. The room is trembling

read the manual really good...twice...that will help. Curious to here more of your thoughts on the pedalboard too.

and yeah, the Dual Rec setting is pretty sweet too. Tight.

i just did a test clip with all of my normal pedals in front of the Vypyr and despite a bit of tone suckage I felt overall it worked pretty good including boost pedals.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
post clip to profile ploix

right now my favorite is Diezel red, no effects, pre 3pm, bass 10-11am, mid 2pm, treb 12noon, post gain 12 noon, master 11am. I've got it sitting in front of the fireplace but the bass and volume is still pretty focused. The room is trembling

read the manual really good...twice...that will help. Curious to here more of your thoughts on the pedalboard too.

and yeah, the Dual Rec setting is pretty sweet too. Tight.

i just did a test clip with all of my normal pedals in front of the Vypyr and despite a bit of tone suckage I felt overall it worked pretty good including boost pedals.

The clips are on my profile. I'll have to remember to try that Diezel setting out. Thanks for sharing. By the pedalboard, do you mean the Sanpera II or my actual pedalboard?
Try an OD pedal in front. Yeah I meant Sanera. Your clips have snarl and some sag - which I like I'm working on tightness now but I think I'm too a point where I need different pups.

and tighter playing
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 16, 2011,
I believe there's a whole website dedicated to vypyr settings. I got a vypyr 30 a few months ago. The recto channel is pretty much the only channel when it comes to my metal tones.

I'll look for the website I mentioned and post a link. The name escapes me right now.

In the meantime, happy new amp day dude.
Last edited by robertsanidiot at Dec 16, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Try an OD pedal in front. Yeah I meant Sanera. Your clips have snarl and some sag - which I like I'm working on tightness now but I think I'm too a point where I need different pups.

I'll have to try that when I get a chance. Thanks! Is there anything that really separates the built-in Tubescreamer model from an external OD?
I've also been thinking about a new set of pickups, but there are just so many to choose from! I've been researching on and off for a while now, but every time I settle on one set, another set starts looking good... I hate being indecisive...
I use the Rec model 90% of the time. But every once in a while I'll bust out he DZL. That model is just ridiculous. It's juicy as hell, dripping tone. I try not to use it much because I love knowing that despite how much I love my tone, it csn still get better.

Unfortunately, that model also instilled GAS in me for a Hagen.

EDIT: I use the tubescreamer model with both, the same way you'd use one IRL (max level, min gain). It tightens them up. That alone is probably my favorite aspect of the Vypyr. It is scarily, surgically tight. I also use EMGs thought, so not sure how much they contribute to that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Dec 16, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
.... once in a while I'll bust out he DZL. That model is just ridiculous. It's juicy as hell, dripping tone. I try not to use it much because I love knowing that despite how much I love my tone, it csn still get better.

Unfortunately, that model also instilled GAS in me for a Hagen.

+1
I tried the Tubescreamer on the Rec and Dzl and really like it, but I found that I liked having Drive at 100 and Level at 0. But thanks, Offworld!
311, I tried your Dzl suggestion, and it replaced my old Dzl setting. Thanks a ton!
I have another question, though. Would it be a good idea to re-tube the Vypyr with some JJ's and use the stock tubes as backups? Would there be any noticeable difference?