It's said about music and
applied to hipsters,
but what
do you think a
'pretentious' song is
or what makes a pretentious
person?
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Dec 15, 2011,
Guys with acoustic guitar who call themself something that sounds like it should be a metal band.
Destructively Yours! comes to mind.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I think
Due is very
pretentious.
That is
all.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.
P4k and /mu/tants for the most part.

=Anyone who changes their opinion according to what them websites say.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Lady Gaga fans. I hate them so much. They think whatever Lady Gaga touches is suddenly amazing. They think putting a star on their own face is art. They think Lady Gaga is a demigod and normally I wouldn't care what other people listen to these people shove her stuff down my throat.
anyone that calls themselves an intellectual. It may be true but i don't think its possible to say it out loud without coming across as the most pretentious twat.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
I think
Due is very
pretentious.
That is
all.

Quote by TOMMYB22
anyone that calls themselves an intellectual. It may be true but i don't think its possible to say it out loud without coming across as the most pretentious twat.

If it's true, they're (by definition) not pretentious.
Last edited by due 07 at Dec 15, 2011,
I get very annoyed by local bands who act like they are some huuuuuge deal. You know, those bands who take themselves way to seriously, write long self-fellating bios, and otherwise carry themselves with a nose-in-the-air, "I'm a rock star" attitude.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Pitchfork as well.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by bendystraw
Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

This, only add knowledge as well because that's a big one.

Commonest example I know is people making vast pronouncements on "human nature," no, not the nature of some people, but the immutable nature of every person in existence, that they tend to have pulled straight out of their ass to back up some other point they're attempting to make.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
This, only add knowledge as well because that's a big one.

Commonest example I know is people making vast pronouncements on "human nature," no, not the nature of some people, but the immutable nature of every person in existence, that they tend to have pulled straight out of their ass to back up some other point they're attempting to make.

I think it's probably included in the "etc.".

Are you referencing a certain poster from earlier? I agree, though. It's a moronic thing to say.
Quote by bendystraw

this. It's cool if they actually have the knowledge they're flaunting (though still annoying if they're doing it unnecessarily)
cat
Quote by KeepOnRotting
I think it's probably included in the "etc.".

Are you referencing a certain poster from earlier? I agree, though. It's a moronic thing to say.

I'm not referencing anybody in particular, because I've seen it come up very often, all over the place.

Emma Goldman even references it in an essay she wrote in 1907.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Kumanji
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Not realizing that different people have different tastes and there's not a singular "right thing" to like.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by uhh_me?
see username.

not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
OP sounds like he thought he was posting in S&L :P

Pretentious is deriving superiority from ones own tastes, or trying to act superior by faking it. Using big (contextually) words with only a vague understanding of the meaning. Such as antiquated, beguiling, rhetoric or hubristic (They're all such wankery words)

Like "Scorsese was an esoteric genius"
"Oh yeah, I liked Shutter Island"
"You poor soul you"
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
Quote by StewieSwan
UG's Political Thinker

F you guys, Kumanji is the jumps. You'll be first against the wall as soon as the looming international proletarian revolution comes to fruition.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
As in Kumanji should go jump off a cliff?

Nah man, "the jumps" is hip lingo for "cool," or "sick as fuck." Doesn't surprise me it hasn't spread to Canada yet, but you guys should get it at least by spring. Hey, you've got a head start -- tell your friends!
Quote by due 07
Nah man, "the jumps" is hip lingo for "cool," or "sick as fuck." Doesn't surprise me it hasn't spread to Canada yet, but you guys should get it at least by spring. Hey, you've got a head start -- tell your friends!

"all the kids are talking slang I won't pretend to understand"
Dream Theater. Not to take anything away from them as musicians, they're fantastic at what they do. But their music bores me, because I always get the sense that they are more focused on their skills than the songs. I liked the one quote by Alexi Laiho: "It's not even music, it's sports." He wasn't being serious and later clarified that he believes Petrucci is a much better player than him, but he did kind of have a point, to me.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Pretentious is a word that idiots use to discredit a differing, if not conflicting, opinion. I've honestly seen very little true pretentiousness, and an overwhelming amount of inability to communicate.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Pretentious is a word that idiots use to discredit a differing, if not conflicting, opinion. I've honestly seen very little true pretentiousness, and an overwhelming amount of inability to communicate.

People call you pretentious a lot, but I don't see it.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Xiaoxi
I think it's way more common on the internet than IRL.

Everyone on the internet wants to be an intellectual.

Edit: Come to think of it, I remember you calling Frank Zappa pretentious on here...Can't say I blame you, though.
Last edited by The Madcap at Dec 16, 2011,
Quote by TOMMYB22

Stephen Hawking
"I have no idea. People who boast about their IQ are losers. "
Someone who pronounces the word "encyclopedia" as "encyclo-PAY-dia."
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by Dirge Humani
People who use esoteric jargon when more normal words exist that get the same point across.

Yeah Kumanji's been mentioned a couple times already.
PM me for newts
Page 1 of 3