Uhh im new too thiss thingyy,, anyway im just wondering what the heell do i do ?!?! Currently im still in high school with my bandmates but were looking not only to "Jam" but to actually try to make it "big". What do we do to prepare after highschool?
How far have you gotten into the band making process? Have you decided what kind of music you want to play? If not, if probably suggest doing that first, seems the first logical step right? Very very few bands make it big, but the best thing to do is practice a lot, play a few songs for your school's talent show (if they have one), get a little practice with playing to a live audicence, even if it is your peers. Promote your band, the first shows you'll end up playing will most likely be in small places (the local pub ect), and get feedback, after youve finished playing, go and ask some of the people there, what they thought, constructive critism is a good thing. Anyway thats my two pence worth. Hope it helps. (then again I could be completely wrong, but thats how I did it)
Oasis nut
Gear: Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Ej-200, Peavey Studio Pro 40, Digitech RP55, Boss ME-20. Too many pedals to list.
Latest additions: epiphone ej-200, boss me-20

Quote by DAiMIteHan

Am I old enough to wear this fist in school?
Quote by Drowjosh95
Uhh im new too thiss thingyy,, anyway im just wondering what the heell do i do ?!?! Currently im still in high school with my bandmates but were looking not only to "Jam" but to actually try to make it "big". What do we do to prepare after highschool?

Not a whole lot of information to go on... AND goals change over time...

My advice would be keep the dream of making it big tucked in your hip pocket for a little while... See what develops and where things actually go. If you're all in High School, you've got some dues to pay, and a lot of growing to do, not only as musicians, but as people too.

Practice hard, learn as much as you can, play out often, and Have Fun!!! The Music Industry is still gonna be there in a few years...

This one may throw you for a Loop... Don't ever get "Good"
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Dec 15, 2011,
Yea we play Punk-Pop/punk, like blink 182 (: Dmn, that's some reall good advice from both of you thanks man. Were all juniors but next year were becoming seniors, so its pretty close. We don't want to do anything after highschool but keep playing in our band. Even if it means being broke or sleeping in the van, Were all for it !!
Learn full songs as a band so you can play gigs. Regardless of the goal... thats step 1 for a band
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
do a whole shitload of drugs
this is my signature, and it's purple in bold, you can't do anything about it.
How many people are in your band? Do you know any theory?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
As epic and amazing as just playing in a band and doing nothing else sounds. You'll soon find that it doesnt work. You NEED to have some sort of income, or another goal in life, rather than making it big, yeah its a good goal to have. But what good is the goal if you end up broke? How will you buy strings? Pay for the sound techs? The gas to get to and from gigs? You have to approach it realistically. To make it big, it requires practice, practice, more practice, good promoting, more practice, little bit more practice, and a shit ton of luck. Best of luck to you, but dont be too put down if you dont make it big in your first year, keep trying, keep getting better, and if you're lucky enough, maybe one of the clubs/pubs you play will just so happen to have a producer drinking at the bar.
Oasis nut
Gear: Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Ej-200, Peavey Studio Pro 40, Digitech RP55, Boss ME-20. Too many pedals to list.

Quote by DAiMIteHan

How many people are in your band? Do you know any theory?[/QUOTE

I got five people in my band,

Lead guitarist,Rythym guitar,drummer,Bassist,and singer.

That's the thing, im new to all this, theory thing? idk ?! loll

Don't get me wrong though our band plays perfect and we all agree on our genre and everything,

I need to know things like, How to start touring? Making eps? Demos?

I really dont know man, i just need help and any information from you real musicians who really know.

We just know how to play but we dont know anything else besides that
Take a step back a second bro. To end up touring, you have to make an EP, or atleast get some recognition of some sort, to make an EP you need to make a demo and send it to a recording company of some sort (like sour mash records) and have them actually like it and agree to produce it. To make a demo you need recording software and the knowledge to use it and mix the tracks. And no band plays perfectly, everyone makes mistakes. Dont try to run before you can walk. Take baby steps and ease yourself into it. Theory is a good thing to have, especially if you write your own material (for solos, chord progs ect ect). In your senior year, take music, that'll give you a basic knowledge of some theory, as I said, play in your schools talent show. Make posters, talk to the local pub or any local club and see if you can play a gig, dont expect to be paid. To start with, you want to get NOTICED. You wont get paid.
Oasis nut

Quote by DAiMIteHan

Quote by Josh01993
Take a step back a second bro. To end up touring, you have to make an EP, or atleast get some recognition of some sort, to make an EP you need to make a demo and send it to a recording company of some sort (like sour mash records) and have them actually like it and agree to produce it. To make a demo you need recording software and the knowledge to use it and mix the tracks. And no band plays perfectly, everyone makes mistakes. Dont try to run before you can walk. Take baby steps and ease yourself into it. Theory is a good thing to have, especially if you write your own material (for solos, chord progs ect ect). In your senior year, take music, that'll give you a basic knowledge of some theory, as I said, play in your schools talent show. Make posters, talk to the local pub or any local club and see if you can play a gig, dont expect to be paid. To start with, you want to get NOTICED. You wont get paid.

Dude thanks for your advice man really!! Every little thing you said in thiss was helpful!!! Im serious thanks bro!!!
Welcome. As I said though mate. Dont set your hopes too high alright? Odds on you wont make it big, but hey, its not about the money is it, thats not why we play guitar, or bass, or drum. Well for the most part. Its about having fun, getting paid comes second.

Edit: Side note, if you do manage to produce a demo. Send it into EVERY SINGLE recording company you can think of. Sony, Big Brother, Sour Mash, Everything, hell google a list of recording companies and send your demos in. Just because one turned you down, doesnt mean another will.
Oasis nut

Quote by DAiMIteHan

Last edited by Josh01993 at Dec 16, 2011,
Forgot something in my post. So I edited it. Glad this helped.
Oasis nut

Quote by DAiMIteHan

Yea, pretty much what everyone said.

To take a step towards the actual goal- your music itself- if you guys don't know theory how do you write songs? Obviously it's possible to do so, but you should at least know major/minor scales and chords at the LEAST! Hell, even if you only have one songwriter and he knows a bit of theory that's better than none at all. In my old band (which broke up for personal reasons right before we started getting semi-steady gigs) we had a primary songwriter, and then two secondary writers. The primary songwriter had a ton of material (he was a really gifted musician- pretty good vocalist, and AMAZING rhythm guitars (trust me, you never noticed how 'good' a rhythm guitarist COULD be until you saw this guy)) and the secondary writers (me, the bassist and the other guitarist) always had little ideas, sometimes lyrics or riffs, or we'd jam with him until we got somewhere. The drummer would... kinda just do his thing (He, actually wasn't that great)

Point is, we had a structure and we all knew theory so it all worked without having to guess. And we actually all had pretty different tastes in music (which I suppose helped us stand out a bit) but we were able to work together. It's great you all want the same genre now, but maybe one of you down the line gets into a completely different genre and wants to try it. Or perhaps you lose and replace a few members who wan to stray a little musically. As Papabear said, goals change as does music. All I can suggest is branch out yourself and be open minded.

Now, back to the bandleading. Do any of you have experience in a band, or are you 5 guys who know instruments and were just like "Hey,we should start a band now" and then you were like "Okay, let me find out what we should do" and then posted this? Nothing wrong with the latter, but experience is helpful.

And as far as the Demo goes, you don't exactly need to record that yourself. If you have some cash, here should be plenty of music stores or even just people with home studios who will do rough mixes and recordings on the cheap. So you can at least get yourselves out there without throwing away cash of your own gear that you probably don't have any idea of how to use (though I would suggest getting and learning it). Also, if you have a macbook with garageband, simplest thing to do- do an acoustic version of your songs. Takes little editing, and little tech support. Also allows you the option of presenting a 'simpler' version of the song at first to people, and if they like it they'll definitely want to hear the full instrumental electric version.

Not everyone's going to agree with my last couple points, but eh. No two bands ever got big the same way or found success down the same alley. Do what you think is right, and ultimately- have fun. If it ever stops being fun, find out why and fix it right away. Had I done that, I might still have a band and we might be playing 2-3 nights a week paid in a pub, but c'est la vie.
Main Bass Rig:
Bass:
Dean Edge Q6 - 6 String with Active EMG-HZs

Amp:
Fender BXR 300C - 300 Watt combo

Pedals:
Boss GEB Bass Equalizer
Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI
Actually I was just thinking that for atleast your first demo it'd probably be best to get someone who knows their way around a mixer to record it. Theres nothing worse than a badly mixed demo. Kudos to Robb
Oasis nut

Quote by DAiMIteHan

Yes we do know our major and minor scales, and all the chords. I seriously confuse my self a little too much..
We All have expierience of being in a band before this one.

We've been together for about 2 years, But really didnt know what to do to start us off after high school, but now we know all thanks to you guys !!!!!!!

As of now were just covering songs like any starting band would do,

but we do got a few of our songs already made..
Its not always a good idea to do just cover songs starting out. Sure a few are good, songs people know so long as you dont make a hash up of it. But definantly play the songs you guys wrote, it'll give more feeling to your gigs.
Oasis nut

Quote by DAiMIteHan

Quote by Drowjosh95

So here's the most important thing:

Get good. Figure out who you are as musicians, what your identity is, musically, and get really really good at it. A lot of people skip this step.

Second, stop focusing on how to make it big and focus on doing the work, day in and day out. Practicing. Rehearsing. Songwriting. Getting gigs. Playing gigs. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, success comes as a function of doing the work, not the other way around - and yet lots of young musicians seem to not understand this.

So don't worry about making it big. Focus, instead, on getting that next gig. And if you have that next gig, focus on making sure that you're ready to perform at the best level possible. Rinse, repeat.

As this relates to piling into a van and touring around, that simply means this: do that because you love it, not because you have dreams of a pot of gold. The pot of gold may or may not show up - but it tends to show for people who are not focused on it.

You're not going to make it big as a cover band, so start writing your own songs. Your first songs will probably suck. That's okay. Keep at it. Worrying about an EP until you have half a dozen GOOD songs is pointless.
None of us in my band (we're all seniors in high school) are even THINKING about touring right now. A couple impatient folks want to record right this second though

For our first show, which was for the entire school, we stuck to all covers with one original. This is because high school kids mostly don't care for originals (people left when we played, but it sucked so who can blame them)

The covers draw people in. We played pop rock songs so people would watch.

Also, the covers are a good start for finding chemistry and playing as a unit. Then, start writing and arranging original songs. Don't perform every single song, even if the other guys say it's good. Maybe out of every ten songs written, one will be good enough to perform.

Music business is a lot like, well, normal business. Network. Find other musicians/bands at your school. We're good friends with two other groups and we promised to keep each other informed of any potential gigs (not sure if this is being followed, though...)

Most important thing is, have fun. My band's falling apart now, and if I could find a new band to play in I would. The instant it stops being fun is the instant you should leave.
^^^if you played only one original, you're a cover band. Cover bands don't get signed. use the effort on learning covers on making original songs if you want to be an originals band.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Cover bands don't get signed.

And original bands don't get paid
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.