What non musical things that come along with the guitar have you focused on that has hindered you from getting better at your craft.
I've noticed some people focus way to much on the following instead of practicing
-Buying multiple guitars
-finding the perfect tone "pedals, and amp settings".
-Guitar tricks "whammy bars, effect pedals, volume swelling, and interesting tunings
-Trying to play multiple instruments "in the bad way"
-Playing acoustic when you really want to be better at electric or vise versa
-Writing lyrics
I keep trying to stick the neck up my arse.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

The only thing I really do that isn't focused on improving is improvisation.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Women and the horrid pop songs that attract them.

Seriously though, the fact that my family won't let me be while I practice. Kinda hard to play Eric Johnson when my sister is hanging on my shoulder going "What are you playing? Can I play? What does this do?" *unplugs guitar* "Oh, that was bad, huh? Can't you play something better?"

I swear it reminds me of Dexter's Lab.
ಠ_ಠ
messing around with vst plugins, DAW's and all that good shit
finding good tone
mods to guitars, amps and other stuff.
...playing behind my head, still trying to figure out playing behind my lower back w/o dropping my guitar.
Plugging in
Turning my amp on
adjusting volume
changing strings
deciding what strap to use
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
playing with my teeth i got pretty good a it too and other things like writing lyrics
and playing backwards(im lefty) so i got pretty decent at playing right handed guitars as well

i also for a while focused alot on teaching guitar it didnt make me a better player perse but it did learn me how to articulate what i meant better and to learn the names of thigns on the fly...also to bs alot of passages for songs i didnt rememer
Hmm, I do everything listed there and I do not feel hindered in my learning at all. And now I feel dirty for using the word Hinder. I hate that band
My rig: ESP Eclipse II --> bulk amount of pedals --> Orange Rockerverb 50w
Changing strings. Waiting my turn at shows and supporting other bands before and after I play.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Dec 16, 2011,
Quote by theFACEdude
...Hinder. I hate that band...

Can't blame you there... Especially that Lips shit song.
Quote by takachan
What non musical things that come along with the guitar have you focused on that has hindered you from getting better at your craft.
I've noticed some people focus way to much on the following instead of practicing
-Buying multiple guitars
-Guitar tricks "whammy bars, effect pedals, volume swelling, and interesting tunings
-Playing acoustic when you really want to be better at electric or vise versa
-Writing lyrics

Did you seriously say 'non musical' and list those things
How the **** can you consider alternate tunings non-musical? wat. srsly.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by takachan

How are those non-musical?
Check out my band Disturbed
All the things I said are musical yes, but not if you spend all your time trying to find the perfect tone or find interesting tunings.
Quote by supersac
it didnt make me a better player perse
This is funny because perse is ass in Finnish.
but it did learn me how to articulate what i meant better and to learn the names of thigns on the fly

How does something learn you anything?
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
when i saw Motorhead, every bass kick shook the place

when they played Overkill at the end i nearly involuntarily shat myself
Quote by Concurssi
This is funny because perse is ass in Finnish.
How does something learn you anything?

somehow i knew when i typed that i was typing ass in some language

...thats the joke?

honestly english isnt my first language and while i did pas a couple ap tests in english i still slip up sometimes...and it shames me greatly
Quote by supersac
somehow i knew when i typed that i was typing ass in some language

...thats the joke?

honestly english isnt my first language and while i did pas a couple ap tests in english i still slip up sometimes...and it shames me greatly

Look at what you did, Concurssi! I hope you're happy.
West Ham United
The craftsmanship/materials involve are more interesting to me than the music I make on them. Haven't played a whole lot in the last year.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
I clean my guitar more than I play it. I like it to look clean and shiny. Not covered in finger prints.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Carswell98
buying new guitar stuff makes me play more, not less, and I don't do the rest, I practice at least an hour a day, without fail.

Same here, but whenever I buy any piece of gear, I tend to play more. When I got my tubescreamer, I played for 2 hours straight, which is a lot for me. It's hard finding time to play these days.
Well, i consider myself a musician, or a songwriter, not just a "guitarist". I belive that anything that i do, related to music, makes me a better musician.

-Having more guitars makes me able to choose the right one for the occasion
-Getting a better tone with amp and pedals makes my recordings sound better = better music
-Makes the music more interesting. And how is mastering whammy barrs and interesting tunings not making you better on guitar? When i last checked, whammy bars were still a part of the guitar, and tuninngs make you able to play a wider variety of music.
-Again, its just pusing the limits of what you can do on a guitar. There is no proper way to play one. If someone just bashes the strings to make feedback, who are you to say that that is bad, if it fits well into a song.
-Well they are not mutually exclusive. Acoustic streghtens your fingers and makes you better at certain techniqes that are also used on electric.
-Well this actually doesnt make you good at guitar, i will give you that.

Anyway, i think that being a good guitarist is not just about being able to play well. It is the most important, but its also about using your guitar to its "full potential" so to speak. If you have a whammy, why not use it and make better music? If you have an acoustic, why not learn how to tap on the body during songs, or fingerpick hard chords, so you can easily do it on electric? Or play any of them in a "bad way" to provide backing for other instrumets, or put interesting sections in songs.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Last edited by gorkyporky at Dec 16, 2011,
Quote by phlip999
Women and the horrid pop songs that attract them.

Seriously though, the fact that my family won't let me be while I practice. Kinda hard to play Eric Johnson when my sister is hanging on my shoulder going "What are you playing? Can I play? What does this do?" *unplugs guitar* "Oh, that was bad, huh? Can't you play something better?"

I swear it reminds me of Dexter's Lab.

She wants your dick.
Is she hot?
Nothing. I don't really care about the way it looks, it's history, it's technical aspects etc. I care about the sound, if it's nice to play and what I can create with it. Period.

I've never been a collector of things in any sort of way.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
most of the things in the OP certainly aren't non-musical.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
"-finding the perfect tone "pedals, and amp settings".
-Playing acoustic when you really want to be better at electric or vise versa"

How are these non-musical?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
id be a much better musician if i never discovered wanking
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Learning to 'shred' to impress girls.

The time I wasted doing this then realising it didn't impress girls, I could have actually learned to play guitar well.
I thought learning to play guitar would get me chicks. I should have just taken up DJing.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by gorkyporky
Well, i consider myself a musician, or a songwriter, not just a "guitarist". I belive that anything that i do, related to music, makes me a better musician.

-Having more guitars makes me able to choose the right one for the occasion
-Getting a better tone with amp and pedals makes my recordings sound better = better music
-Makes the music more interesting. And how is mastering whammy barrs and interesting tunings not making you better on guitar? When i last checked, whammy bars were still a part of the guitar, and tuninngs make you able to play a wider variety of music.
-Again, its just pusing the limits of what you can do on a guitar. There is no proper way to play one. If someone just bashes the strings to make feedback, who are you to say that that is bad, if it fits well into a song.
-Well they are not mutually exclusive. Acoustic streghtens your fingers and makes you better at certain techniqes that are also used on electric.
-Well this actually doesnt make you good at guitar, i will give you that.

Anyway, i think that being a good guitarist is not just about being able to play well. It is the most important, but its also about using your guitar to its "full potential" so to speak. If you have a whammy, why not use it and make better music? If you have an acoustic, why not learn how to tap on the body during songs, or fingerpick hard chords, so you can easily do it on electric? Or play any of them in a "bad way" to provide backing for other instrumets, or put interesting sections in songs.

This. Every last bit of it.
You dirty piece of shit, you.

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I smoked weed with my mom once.
It was the weirdest moment of my life, and I`ve been caught with my dick in my hand, by my brother, with a giant close up of a dudes face on the tv.

Twatter