Do you know any vocalist whose vocal ability is limited but embraces it and write music that complements their voice well? I'm trying to draw some inspiration here and not be too discouraged by my own monotonous vocals.

I'm stuck in a rut where most songs that I write tend to be pushing my vocals too much like I always tend to go high in choruses or write unrealistic melodies. I want to learn from music that stays in the vocalist's comfort zone but still doesn't sound bland.
Two bands I'm obsessed about : Coheed and Cambria.
Last edited by wicked_hobbit at Dec 16, 2011,
Anthony Kiedis - RHCP

He is probably the best example that you'll get. He hasn't got a great voice but he sounds great anyway. His style fits it. Plus, dont give up/get put down by you singing, you can learn. Anthony Kiedis was a terrible singer when he started but he learned and now his decent.
I think Bob Dylan's a pretty good example of that. His singing isn't great but it fits his songs really well. Same with Mark Knopfler and alot of punk bands
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Julian Casablancas
Ian Curtis
Leonard Cohen
Quote by Kozlic
Music doesnt need to be quality to be good.

Press eject, give me the tape, if you know what's good for you
Quote by DanielShaw123
Kurt Cobain
Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughan
John Lennon
Jack White

Not great singers, in a sense, but in another sense the best singers to have ever lived.

Jack White's range is insaaaaane dude! Not the best example, I think.

I say Ian Brown and Liam Gallagher are rather middling singers.
Listen to some Joy Division man.

Bob Dylan and Lou Reed as well. I used to be paranoid about my voice, but then I think of this and shrug. It's an instrument like anything else, takes practice.
Les Claypool I think... But then again, their music sucks...
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
John Mayer, Brian Fallon (The Gaslight Anthem, Horrible Crows), Frank Turner. To be honest, most singers are mediocre. The reason people make a big deal about, say, Freddy Mercury is because he is one in a million. There are far less successful singers with impressive voices than there are with good voices.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Fact is nobody has ever proven smoking to cause cancer.
Ozzy.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Cowless
Jack White's range is insaaaaane dude! Not the best example, I think.

I say Ian Brown and Liam Gallagher are rather middling singers.

totally agree but Brown has swagger and his voice works with the great musicians he's surround by. truly a band whose sum is greater than itsindividual parts. Liam is a cheap rip off of brown who doesn't have swagger just a mouth that got it's teeth knocked out when his security team couldn't cover it fast enough.
Van Morrison for sure. Check out his Astral Weeks and Moondance albums
Lemmy Kilmister and Axl Rose. Debatable, of course, but if they sung out of the context of the song, most people wouldn't like it.
Billy Corgan.

I love their music but god his voice is annoying sometimes
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
Quote by SamGo
totally agree but Brown has swagger and his voice works with the great musicians he's surround by. truly a band whose sum is greater than itsindividual parts. Liam is a cheap rip off of brown who doesn't have swagger just a mouth that got it's teeth knocked out when his security team couldn't cover it fast enough.

No.