Heys
im getting my first electric guitar and amp, and im wondering which of two amps should i get, both are on offer and have the same price

1. MG15CDR
http://marshallamps.com/product.asp?productId=34

EDIT(sorry mixed up with something very high end
2. PATHFINDER 15/15R
http://www.voxamps.com/us/pathfinder/pathfinder15/

im not really sure if amps are suited to specific playing styles the way guitars do but if they do take i havent really settled on a specific genre yet so it wouldnt matter anyways

any advice would be appreciated, thanks alot in advance
Last edited by qjyang_94 at Dec 16, 2011,
You have two threads open on this topic, delete one.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
get the vox. its a tube amp so it will sound way better than the marshall.
If those were the only two choices I would go with the Vox. Have you tried either of them? Have you thought about where you will be playing? I have tried an MG and I do not like them at all. There is also alot of unhappy MG customers on here just do some research. Answer the following questions to help decide.

1. Do you live in a house, apartment, college dorm? Anything over 15w will have your neighbors calling the police if you live in a small place (apartment, dorm,etc) If you live in a house then up to about 60 w is more than enough. Anything over 60w and you will have the police called by your neighbors unless you live on a farm somewhere.
2. What music genre do you play? If you play country, blues, classic rock then look for an amp that leans toward those genres. If you are strictly into metal, grunge, etc then lean towards those amps.
3. Money. If money is no object then don't go throwing $1000's of dollars on an amp but get a decent amp and then put the rest of the money towards guitars, equipement, pedals, recording gear, etc.
4. Are you going to be taking the amp places to gig? Then think about the weight of the amp. You don't want to have to lug a 100 pound amp around. And worry if it will fit in the car.
Finally GO TRY THE AMPS YOU HAVE NARROWED DOWN. NEVER< NEVER< NEVER buy an amp just because someone else likes it. Go sit down and play the amp like you will be playing at home.
I don't do live gigs "yet" but I do have a group of guys that we get together and play and write songs and record. The following is what I use and I am completly 100% happy with the equipment I use.
AMP - Blackstar HT Club-40 - More than enough power for a house and a small gig. (not planning on arena concert yet) If you mic this amp then you have even more "ummp"
Guitars - Multiple Strats, A ESP, and a Warmoth build. I have humbuckers and single coils, Passive and Active pickups.
A Boss GT-10 Multi Effects pedal. A lifesaver. A little hard to get use to but once you do it is amazing the power you now have at your touch. 100's of patches out there for this for just about any and all musicians and genres.
A slew of effect pedals.
Pro Tools software for recording.
Good luck in searching for what you want. Try several different things and research them.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
They are not the same price!!! The vox is a boutique tube amp around $1300, and the marshall is a crappy entry level solid state around $140. . If you can get that vox for $140 buy me a couple and i'll give you 200 for each ; ). But in all seriousness, look for a low wattage tube amp. You will be happier in the long run. Theres used Valve Jr's out there for $100. Vox makes a 4w mini tube for $100 new... It all depends on what you want.
sorry guys i mixed up the one i looked at with something that i thought looked similiar, edits made in first post
@johnnynash how do i try out the amps if both are from different stores and they do not have similar guitars to try the amps on? i mean the guitars would affect the sound too right? what should i be listening out for? also how do i tell what genre is an amp inclinded to?
Last edited by qjyang_94 at Dec 16, 2011,
i'd get a modeller. vox valvetronix or something like that. if you're not sure what type of stuff you'll end up playing you might as well leave your options open.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd get a modeller. vox valvetronix or something like that. if you're not sure what type of stuff you'll end up playing you might as well leave your options open.

Big fat +1. Get a decent all-rounder, just not the bloody MG. Get a salesman to show you a few modelers, ask him to play some stuff through them, and pick the one you think sounds the best. Easy. You're just starting out with this stuff, no need to make it complicated.
Pathfinder 15R is the best $120 you can spend for a new practice amp, IMHO. I'm not a huge fan of 8-inch speaker amps, but the 15R is a nice little practice amp and costs as much as a decent pedal.
When I tried out the Blackstar I got I took my guitar to the store (Sam Ash). Just check it in when you go in and then sit and play. They don't have a problem with you taking your guitar inside. As far as what type of genre, do research on them. See who is using that type amp. Go look at online videos of each amp.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by Kikuta
Big fat +1. Get a decent all-rounder, just not the bloody MG. Get a salesman to show you a few modelers, ask him to play some stuff through them, and pick the one you think sounds the best. Easy. You're just starting out with this stuff, no need to make it complicated.

Quote by Commodor 64
Pathfinder 15R is the best $120 you can spend for a new practice amp, IMHO. I'm not a huge fan of 8-inch speaker amps, but the 15R is a nice little practice amp and costs as much as a decent pedal.

i'm not sure there's much point in the pathfinder, as to me it's a bit of a one-trick pony. And some of the modellers do the vox tone as well, yet are more versatile

(i'm no pathfinder hater, i have one)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks alot everyone for the advice, i think i'll go for the pathfinder cuz modelers are out of my budget
It takes pedals well, so you can get some variety out of it with inexpensive pedals too.
Quote by qjyang_94
thanks alot everyone for the advice, i think i'll go for the pathfinder cuz modelers are out of my budget

i don't know where you live, so maybe that's true, but here the vox mini3 and roland microcube are around the same price (i think).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by qjyang_94

NO! modelers are not out of your budget. Fender Mustang I is only $99, good models, sounds good loud and quiet. Just don't get the MG!!!!!!!!
from what ive heard, the vox mini3 is only 3 watts, i prefer to get something more powerful.
sorry but i dont actually know whats the use of digital modeling, can anyone explain? i could get the Vox VT20+ if modeling is important tho its like $50 out of my budget. also ive realised theres also the Line 6 Spider IV 15 available it has a couple of effects would that be better?
checkout the roland cube. always a good choice. wish i still had mine.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
modelling basically models a whole bunch of different amps so you can get a range of tones. at your budget, it's a good thing.

normally the voxes are considered nicer than teh spiders (teh voxes have effects too), but i haven't tried the newer voxes (just the mini3).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?