Hi I have a bit of a hard time understanding the theory in a certain way I've seen Diminished chords be played in the E shape of CAGED. I know that a Diminished chord contains the Root, flat third and flat 5th, but I've also seen the 6th interval added a lot of times when playing a E shape. For instance F# diminished =

F# (Root)
A (Flat 3rd)
C (Flat 5th)

If you look at this diagram a D# has been added as well;

http://www.how-to-play-guitar.eu/guitar_chords/Fsharp/Fsharpdim_Guitar_Chord.gif

The only explanation I can think for this is to stop the Perfect 5th clashing with the Diminished 5th played on the A string, it seems like adding in the D# would sort that out, but why is it still listed as a Standard F# diminished chord? My jazz Theory book also showed a Diminished chord with the 6th added. Any help much appreciated!

Cheers
That's not a D#, it's an Eb... therefore not a sixth, but a dimished seventh
Just got myself more confused

F# diminished would be built on the 7th interval from the G Major Parent Scale right? The D# listed in the Chord is not even part of the G Major Scale. Am I over thinking this?
Think of it as being: Root, flat third, flat fifth, double flattened seventh
It's a diminished 7th chord, they're a slightly different deal
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by tm1776
Just got myself more confused

F# diminished would be built on the 7th interval from the G Major Parent Scale right? The D# listed in the Chord is not even part of the G Major Scale. Am I over thinking this?

If you want to stay diatonic you can only build a half diminished chord from the Major scale. i.e. 1 b3 b5 b7

A diminished chord is 1 b3 b5 bb7

A bb7 is enharmonic to 6
Quote by Myshadow46_2
If you want to stay diatonic you can only build a half diminished chord from the Major scale. i.e. 1 b3 b5 b7

A diminished chord is 1 b3 b5 bb7

A bb7 is enharmonic to 6

This has cleared a lot of confusion up for me. Thanks!
Diminished chords can be confusing because at least 3 of them are common, and are sometimes mislabeled.

A Diminished TRIAD is what you describe as F#, A, C. It is the ii in a minor key or the vii in a major key.

A Half-Diminished (m7b5) is F#, A, C, E. This is also the ii in a minor key or the vii in a major key, but extended to include the 7th.

A Diminished 7th ("fully diminished") is F#, A, C, D#(Eb). It is the vii in a HARMONIC minor. Yes it's the major sixth, but it's thought of as the "diminished 7th".
It is commonly used over a V in a minor key.
[F#dim7 (F#, A, C, D#) over B = B7b9 (B, D#, F#, A, C). Then you follow resolve to Em.]

C.P.E. Bach considered ‘no chord… more convenient’… than the diminished seventh, ‘as a means of reaching the most distant keys more quickly and with agreeable suddenness’.

This is a good article on how to use the m7b5 (and other chords) in an emotive context.
Last edited by k3v1n shr3dz at Jan 21, 2013,
Thanks k3v1n shr3dz

I will read the link you posted when I get home from work.
Quote by tm1776
Hi I have a bit of a hard time understanding the theory in a certain way I've seen Diminished chords be played in the E shape of CAGED. I know that a Diminished chord contains the Root, flat third and flat 5th, but I've also seen the 6th interval added a lot of times when playing a E shape. For instance F# diminished =

F# (Root)
A (Flat 3rd)
C (Flat 5th)

If you look at this diagram a D# has been added as well;

http://www.how-to-play-guitar.eu/guitar_chords/Fsharp/Fsharpdim_Guitar_Chord.gif

The only explanation I can think for this is to stop the Perfect 5th clashing with the Diminished 5th played on the A string, it seems like adding in the D# would sort that out, but why is it still listed as a Standard F# diminished chord? My jazz Theory book also showed a Diminished chord with the 6th added. Any help much appreciated!

Cheers

Good observation, wrong conclusion - its a Dim 7th. It's not a 6th, it's a bb7. That's why you might think its a 6th, pitch wise. So a C dim 7 is C Eb Gb and Bbb (which you might have seen as an A the 6th, but terminology wise, it's a bb7 or, a Bbb)

Best,

Sean