So I'd really LOVE to get a brand spanking new 4x12 mesa cab to match my newest baby (2 ch. Recto), but then again I'd love to win the lottery. And seeing how expensive a new mesa cab can costs, I would probably actually have to win the lottery just to be able to afford one. My question is, would it be easier to just buy four 12in v30's and just stick them in my carvin cab? Or does the quality of the cab itself actually contribute to the bitchin' tone?
Last edited by robertsanidiot at Dec 16, 2011,
Quote by robertsanidiot
does the quality of the cab itself actually contribute to the bitchin' tone?

Absolutely does make a big difference, what about a 2x12 Recto cab... they slay.
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
What exactly is your budget?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
I was affraid you would say this. And actually, I kind of figured. I was just hoping I was wrong.

As for the 2x12, I thought of this aswell. And I'll probably end up getting one. But eventually, I'm going to want to upgrade to a 4x12. And ill cry when I can't afford it.
Important things to ask:

- What have you got now?
- What's it got in it?
- What don't you like about it?
- What do you want it to sound like?

A speaker change can make all the difference, but a full cabinet change is going to throw you into a completely different ball-park.

In regards to the 212 idea, why not buy a 212 now, and a second one down the track? Easy stereo setup when you need it as an added bonus.
As of right now, I don't really have a budget. I just bought my half stack and I'm still messing around with it. I probably won't start saving up for a while, but I'm just thinking ahead. I've heard great things about mesa cabs, and I just want to get the greatest sound out of my head I possibly can get.

Right now I have a two channel dual recto. The tubes are mixed. Most of them stock. A couple of electro-harmonix, and two sovteks.

I also have a carvin cab, a v412t I believe. Have no clue what kind of speakers are in it. Bought it used, haven't cracked it open.

It's not that I don't like my sound, not exactly. I recently bought The stack, and I'm still dicking around with it. I just haven't found my holy grail tone yet. I suck at eqing too, so there's that in my way also.
AND, I haven't gotten the chance to really crank it yet either.

Idk what I'm looking for exactly either. Probably somewhere between groove metal and melodic death metal.

I like ola from YouTube's tone. The one he gets from his dual recto. He's using a mesa 2x12 and a maxon OD808.

I figure if I get get something like that to start off with, I can work my way from there.
And actually, that whole "two 2x12" idea isn't a bad one. To be honest I never even thought about it. Damn dude. Freaking genius over here.

(Not sarcasm, I'm just an idiot)
Quote by robertsanidiot
As of right now, I don't really have a budget. I just bought my half stack and I'm still messing around with it. I probably won't start saving up for a while, but I'm just thinking ahead. I've heard great things about mesa cabs, and I just want to get the greatest sound out of my head I possibly can get.

Right now I have a two channel dual recto. The tubes are mixed. Most of them stock. A couple of electro-harmonix, and two sovteks.

I also have a carvin cab, a v412t I believe. Have no clue what kind of speakers are in it. Bought it used, haven't cracked it open.

It's not that I don't like my sound, not exactly. I recently bought The stack, and I'm still dicking around with it. I just haven't found my holy grail tone yet. I suck at eqing too, so there's that in my way also.
AND, I haven't gotten the chance to really crank it yet either.

Idk what I'm looking for exactly either. Probably somewhere between groove metal and melodic death metal.

I like ola from YouTube's tone. Tue one he gets from his dual recto. He's using a mesa 2x12 and a maxon OD808.

I figure if I get get something like that to start off with, I can work my way from there.

A few things you should consider;

1) Dual rectifiers are one of those amps that you will need to spend quite a while dialling in 'that tone'. They're not easy amps to jump on and instantly get a good sound out of. Beyond that, they're also an amp that gets much, MUCH better as you turn the volume up.

2) Your cabinet is by no means bad. It's not amazing either. No ****ing idea what speakers they have in them, but I have a friend with one and it doesn't sound too shabby on stage. I'd suggest taking your head to a store and plugging it in to a few cabs there.

3) Ola's tones need to be taken with a hefty amount of salt. His newer videos often feature both TS active and TS bypassed sections, but back in the day there was much criticism that the TS did most of the work, making a lot of amps he tested sound 'the same'. Main reason for this comes from his cabinet and mic choice. That, and he knows how to dial in an amp. He can make pretty much anything sound awesome.
1) yup. I've heard how notorious rectos are when it comes to dialing in. I knew what I was getting myself into. The way i see it, the journey will make the destination so much sweeter once I get there. I've gotten to about 8 o'clock on the master. It got pretty brutal. Can't wait to see what she can do at noon.

2) I picked up my carvin at a guitar center while searching for a 6505 before I grabbed the recto. Out of all of The cabs in my price range this one sounded the ballsiest. I don't hate it. But are any of us ever really, truley FINISHED upgrading our rigs?

3)yeah, I'm not really looking to replicate his tone, that dude is the devil. I bet he could make an mg sound decent with enough of his music voodoo nonsense he does. I just want something fairly similar, until I can finally snatch my own unicorn tone.

I guess what I really need is on OD or something to help bring some kickass to my tone. I heard they help at lower volumes. And some EQ knowledge.