Page 1 of 2
What are the differences between an SE and a reguler PRS?
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
SE is made in korea, worse pickups, worse hardware, worse electronics, worse wood, worse cosmetics.
pretty much everything.

SE guitars are still great guitars - especially the santana one and the SE CU24 but they dont compare to USA PRS guitars.
Last edited by itamar100 at Dec 16, 2011,
SE's:
- Don't cost as much as a used car.
- Pickups aren't very good.
- Non-locking tuners. None of the SE's I've owned held tuning nearly as long as the USA's.
- Different bodies from USA models (Singlecuts aren't as thick, Customs are flat on the top, lack curvature). SE's seem lighter, in weight.

PRS USA:
- Expensive as hell.
- Much better sounding pickups.
- More options. If you do enough looking around you can probably find a PRS USA with the neck profile, bridge type, inlays, and finish you want. If you can't find it used, you can have it made by talking with your dealer.

If you're thinking about getting your first American PRS, and it's financially feasible for you, save up. They're amazing guitars. SE's are still nice though, but plan on switching the pickups and getting some Grover 406's, which are a direct replacement to the stock tuners.
Last edited by Ghostmaker at Dec 16, 2011,
Quote by itamar100
SE is made in korea, worse pickups, worse hardware, worse electronics, worse wood, worse cosmetics.
pretty much everything.

SE guitars are still great guitars - especially the santana one and the SE CU24 but they dont compare to USA PRS guitars.

I have the Custom 24, and I changed the pickups and got the bridge change so it's not floating.

Digitech Bad Monkey

Quote by Tom 1.0
Everything.

i would say everything except the basic shape/appearance of the guitars

they look similar but that's about the only similarity there is.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
It would be easier to list the similarities:
-General body shape
-Name on headstock

Some of the SE models are decent, but outside of the most basic similarities in tone and construction, there is an enormous difference between the two.
The SEs have gotten better and better over the years. These days they're comparable in quality to some American made guitars. Check this one out that a buddy just bought:

Check out what it has -- stock!
  • Ebony board
  • USA Bigsby
  • USA Phase II locking tuners
  • USA Tune-O-Matic

That's not really a low-end appointment of features.

They've really become their own very high-quality line of guitars. I mean, they've come a looooong way from the first Santana with the stripe fret board markers...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Quote by Dr Sixstring
I have the Custom 24, and I changed the pickups and got the bridge change so it's not floating.

you got some great pickups and changing the bridge helps on most guitars. even if its an SE it must be one hell of a guitar.
Quote by itamar100
pretty much everything.

This is technically correct, though I would say that it's a rather negative way of putting it. Instead, I would say that USA PRS's have better pickups, hardware, wood selection, production techniques, etc ect.

Still, agree with the conclusion. SE's are great guitars, amongst the best in their price range, but USA PRS's far exceed them.

For the working musician, though, the SE range ought to be everything one would ever need and way beyond that.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
The big difference is that regular PRS guitars don't suck.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I've just bought a SE model...and while i've never played an american made one, I can legitimately say that the only thing I wasn't completely happy with was the pickups.

The comfort, look, feel, and overall quality were all what you would expect out of a prs

the electronics suck. but big deal...150$ for some seymour duncans and i'm ready to add an XY to the SE
ive got a tremonti se, its basiclly the cheaper version of the signiture made from less expensive wood and has prs design pickups instead of the signatures. this pretty much applys to all the se range and their usa counterparts
Quote by itamar100
you got some great pickups and changing the bridge helps on most guitars. even if its an SE it must be one hell of a guitar.

Yeah, it sounds amazing now, the pickups that were in it were kind of weak. And sometime soon I want to get new tuning machines.

Digitech Bad Monkey

Quote by richardlpalmer
The SEs have gotten better and better over the years. These days they're comparable in quality to some American made guitars. Check this one out that a buddy just bought:

• Ebony board
  • USA Bigsby
  • USA Tune-O-Matic

They've really become their own very high-quality line of guitars. I mean, they've come a looooong way from the first Santana with the stripe fret board markers...

That guitar looks awesome except for the pickguard, it kind of ruins it.
Is the Bigsby floating?

Digitech Bad Monkey

Last edited by Dr Sixstring at Dec 16, 2011,
Quote by Dr Sixstring
Is the Bigsby floating?

Does the pope wear a funny hat?

(There's no such thing as a non-floating Bigsby)
Ohh.

Digitech Bad Monkey

The bridge is bolted flat to the face, but there's a roller bar and a bar that holds the strings, such that you can always pull up or push down. It's not really "floating" in the usual sense of the term, since there's no balance point, but the design results in the same ability to raise and lower the pitch. It's sort of a floating bridge without the actual floating aspect. If you remember your grade school simple machines, a Fender style trem is a class 1 lever and a Bigsby is a class 2 lever.

The result is that in a small range, moving the pitch both up and down is more smooth, since you don't have a bunch of heavy springs trying to yank the strings back to pitch. The downside is that the lower mechanical advantage of the Bigsby keeps you from changing the pitch very much. So, the Bigsby is really good for subtle vibrato and warble, but it won't dive or pull up like a Fender or a Floyd style trem will.
Quote by Roc8995
It would be easier to list the similarities:
-General body shape
-Name on headstock

Some of the SE models are decent, but outside of the most basic similarities in tone and construction, there is an enormous difference between the two.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I see the gear snobs are out in full force...

For the price range, SE's are spectacular instruments. On average around $700 but play like an instrument in the 1,000-1,200 dollar range in my experience.

I don't see the point in dropping 3K on a USA PRS when you can get an SE, upgrade the pups and bridge and have a very comparable instrument for less than half of what you'd pay.
the ones i've tried have been very "meh"

I haven't been super-impressed by every USA PRS I've tried, either, but they were consistently "better".

i mean for the price the ses go for here in europe you can get better guitars, imo
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dr Sixstring
That guitar looks awesome except for the pickguard, it kind of ruins it.
Is the Bigsby floating?

More in depth answers above, but here are a couple pics. I wouldn't mind a guitar with a Bigsby but they're not really my thing at this point. I was more just trying to illustrate how far the SE line has come. Those are all made-in-USA parts!

Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by deepfat

For the price range, SE's are spectacular instruments. On average around $700 but play like an instrument in the 1,000-1,200 dollar range in my experience.

I don't see the point in dropping 3K on a USA PRS when you can get an SE, upgrade the pups and bridge and have a very comparable instrument for less than half of what you'd pay.

Well, some of us (and by "some of us" I mean "me") attempt to compensate for our lack of skills by buying super nice guitars!
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by Dave_Mc
the ones i've tried have been very "meh"

I haven't been super-impressed by every USA PRS I've tried, either, but they were consistently "better".

i mean for the price the ses go for here in europe you can get better guitars, imo

I think that can be said for most instruments and I agree with you 100%.

I think we're lucky over here because I'll see SEs for $300 - $400 used all the time. And considering that's a similar price to a MIM Strat, it's a pretty easy sell...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by Roc8995

The bridge is bolted flat to the face, but there's a roller bar and a bar that holds the strings, such that you can always pull up or push down. It's not really "floating" in the usual sense of the term, since there's no balance point, but the design results in the same ability to raise and lower the pitch. It's sort of a floating bridge without the actual floating aspect. If you remember your grade school simple machines, a Fender style trem is a class 1 lever and a Bigsby is a class 2 lever.

The result is that in a small range, moving the pitch both up and down is more smooth, since you don't have a bunch of heavy springs trying to yank the strings back to pitch. The downside is that the lower mechanical advantage of the Bigsby keeps you from changing the pitch very much. So, the Bigsby is really good for subtle vibrato and warble, but it won't dive or pull up like a Fender or a Floyd style trem will.

Thank you. Do bigsbys go out of tune quikly if you use them?

Digitech Bad Monkey

Quote by Dr Sixstring
Thank you. Do bigsbys go out of tune quikly if you use them?

If you look at the pics above you can see there are no adjustments on the Bigsby itself. So they don't go out of tune at all. That being said, there are strings to account for -- that's your X-factor...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by deepfat

I could list MANY guitars that I could get used for $700 that would play circles around any SE model.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by richardlpalmer
If you look at the pics above you can see there are no adjustments on the Bigsby itself. So they don't go out of tune at all. That being said, there are strings to account for -- that's your X-factor...

Cool

Digitech Bad Monkey

Quote by JustRooster
I could list MANY guitars that I could get used for $700 that would play circles around any SE model.

What's the benchmark? Isn't "playing circles around it" really just a subjective observation?
Lesser quality, but still damn good. I prefer my Prs SE over my Gibson. The pick ups are crap though. It's not near as amazing as a PRS, but hard to beat at it's price.

SE = Good Guitar.
PRS = Amazing Guitar.

If you can afford a PRS, buy one, you'll be forever happy that you did.
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Quote by richardlpalmer

• Ebony board
  • USA Bigsby
  • USA Tune-O-Matic

Where did your friend find that? Is it new? It's not listed on the PRS webisite, but it's hot
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
the SE's are really their own line of guitars.

the construction is very different then the USA line even if they are given similar names.

They are really nice guitars for the used price of 300-400, although a used ibanez prestige would get my money over one.

They are kind of meh at their new price.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by deepfat
What's the benchmark? Isn't "playing circles around it" really just a subjective observation?

Yeah. That's sort of the point. You really seem to like calling people gear snobs, and for what? Liking a different guitar that's the same price? Liking another guitar better?

Saying a USA PRS is a lot better than an SE doesn't make you a gear snob. It makes you a decent judge of quality.
/inafter "SEs suck" They're both nice guitars... one is nicer... and also overpriced. the end
I hate my sig
AWH NOOOO! Now I have to throw my S.E away as well. just binned my Ibanez acoustic because the majority of the elitist snobs on the acoustic forum say they are shit, is there any point in buying an instrument under 2-3 grand? Just glad to be part of a site that is so objective, helpful and considerate to people on tight budgets trying to get the best for their hard earned.
(this is not aimed at all posters)
Quote by richardlpalmer

Considering sigging this...
nerd it til it Hz.
>Fender Jagstang / Epiphone SG Special / DIY/GFS Partscaster
>SBN Big Daddy Amp Blaster / Boss OS-2 / Line 6 DL-4 / DIY guitarpcb.com D'Lay
>Vox AC15C1 / Marshall 4x12
Quote by Roc8995
Yeah. That's sort of the point. You really seem to like calling people gear snobs, and for what? Liking a different guitar that's the same price? Liking another guitar better?

Saying a USA PRS is a lot better than an SE doesn't make you a gear snob. It makes you a decent judge of quality.

Unless of course Deepfat is like the fox who couldn't reach the grapes in the fable. OFten you'll see posts of people calling others snobs or stupid for buying more expensive gear and from what I've seen it's mostly a defensive mechanism (like the fox who declared the grapes sour because he couldn't have them), & sometimes even jealousy because they can't afford it themselves.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Unless of course Deepfat is like the fox who couldn't reach the grapes in the fable. OFten you'll see posts of people calling others snobs or stupid for buying more expensive gear and from what I've seen it's mostly a defensive mechanism (like the fox who declared the grapes sour because he couldn't have them), & sometimes even jealousy because they can't afford it themselves.

Not so. My budget allows me to buy a guitar much more expensive if I desire. It's not an issue of money but I will say that I am a good steward of my money and don't see the need to buy a guitar that is 3K + when the SE with a couple of upgrades will get you 95% of a USA model.

That's all I'm saying.

That said, I won't back off my gear snob comment. They're common here.
Quote by Jaredmkl
Where did your friend find that? Is it new? It's not listed on the PRS webisite, but it's hot
Good question. I asked and here's what he said.
Quote by fatb0y
I really can't speak as to why they're not on the PRS website. It wasn't custom ordered through Jack Gretz, but Jack did secure one for me. I've seen them available from other dealers and on evilbay.

It's part of a limited run that Doug Shive @ PRS put together. When I was at the factory picking wood Doug said he had something new and cool in SE to show us. He took us down to the SE area and showed us one of these in red sparkle.

Sounds like you could probably just show a picture (or description) of it to your PRS dealer and they'd be able to get one.

My guess is that they'll be released at NAMM in January. There were a couple things that we were shown at Experience PRS that I don't see on their website but that we could buy through dealers immediately. One of them being their SE Acoustic line (which was amazing -- the highlight of everything released if you ask me).
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Dec 17, 2011,
Page 1 of 2