Hi All, I've been throwing around the idea of replacing the Sheffield in my Combo but I'm not sure which direction to go. Seams the land of the internet all suggest V30's but i havent been able to find a place i can try out different speakers. my gear is listed in my signiture and some of my favorite bands are As i lay dying, Parkway drive, etc.. I found a comparison of the sheffield vs V30 on youtube but i just cant bring myself to base any decisions off of youtube clips. I really like the price range of the eminence speakers but man, they make alot of different speakers. Which one is right for me? How does one go about finding the right speaker when local shops dont carry them? Ask on the internet and just take the plunge?
I have eminence governors in my 412 which i run a 6505 into. Very happy. Like the V30's but better for my setup as far as power handling, better low end, and the high end is more smooth. I tried the man o wars (which are like the gt75's) and it was hard to control the tone.
No I have not. I did not hear good things about the Sheffields, but then again tone is up to the individual.
yeah speakers are a bit like pickups in that regard- apart from the really most common models which come stock in off-the-shelf cabs/combos (and even then there's no guarantee that they'll sound the same in your cab or with your amp), it's really hard to try the less mainstream models, and while you can do a lot of research and ask teh speaker companies for advice, it normally eventually just boils down to taking the plunge and hoping it works out ok

v30 normally works pretty well for more modern tones. Not to say other speakers won't work well, too, of course, but yeah. the v30 is a reasonably safe bet if you have "normal" ears (by that i mean you tend to agree with teh consensus regarding guitar tone).

Eminence's version of the v30 is the governor, as far as i'm aware. I haven't tried it.

as denied suggests, other companies offer their versions of the v30, too, but i haven't tried them either
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i think there are quite a few people who scream Vintage 30 with limited to no experiance with them.

they are great speaker, for a relatively broad range of amps (moreso in the high gain family) mid spike, some like it some dont. it works better with some amps are than others.

would a V30 be a great option? yes.

are there other options? yes. i love k100's, the are a little more flat on the response curve in the mid section, a little more bottom from them. k100's slay with 5150s.

T-75 would a contender for some, but that is a little less common, and imo i like both the V30 and k100 first.

eminence has quite a few options, and to be honest have very little experience. i have had 12" and 15" legends. i beleive that a variation of the legend is what mike soldano uses for his cabs. i had the legends for a while, but found myself likeing other speakers better.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i think there are quite a few people who scream Vintage 30 with limited to no experiance with them.

they are great speaker, for a relatively broad range of amps (moreso in the high gain family) mid spike, some like it some dont. it works better with some amps are than others.

would a V30 be a great option? yes.

are there other options? yes. i love k100's, the are a little more flat on the response curve in the mid section, a little more bottom from them. k100's slay with 5150s.

yep pretty much

or even people who have only tried the v30s and not much else- if your only other experience with guitars speakers is the cheapo ones which come stock in cheapo amps and cabs, then of course v30s are gonna sound pretty good

haven't tried teh k100s, but have heard good things. bound to be worth a look, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
V30's do not go well in an open back cab for hi-gain.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
isn't teh 6505 closed back? could be wrong, but that's what i would've thought considering it's the archetypal br00tzl amp
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by surjer
Its crazy cause everyone recomends the v30 (or a similar speaker) but when i looked at this clip it made me wonder why..

you should wonder why, nurture that feeling cuz it'll serve you well. i really don't like V30's at all myself. i liked them for about 2 years and then got sick of em and traded them out and was VERY happy.

Quote by surjer
Then again, i may just have to buy one and try it out.

you are right now at the crossroads. you have 2 choices:

1) get super knowledgeable about speakers, start the epic journey of finding the speaker that is right for you

2) pick a pretty good speaker you hear good things about and trust that you got close enough to your target sound and not worry about it

if you choose the first choice, then know that you will need to try out quite a number of speakers for an extended period of time. know that this will cost a significant amount of money and will take quite a while

Quote by surjer
if so many people are recomending them its gotta be good right

like i mentioned earlier, i don't really like V30's. i run a pair of webers, a silver bell and blue dog. i also own bunch of other speakers that i also love, my only celestion speaker is a G12M-25 (i like that speaker)
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Dave_Mc
yep pretty much

or even people who have only tried the v30s and not much else- if your only other experience with guitars speakers is the cheapo ones which come stock in cheapo amps and cabs, then of course v30s are gonna sound pretty good

haven't tried teh k100s, but have heard good things. bound to be worth a look, too.

if you really want great look at the K85, it is identical in spec to the K100, celestion just decided that they underrated the wattage and renamed it the K100. K85's are Brittish instead of chinese. there is a differnce though, i have some of both, K85's are better IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
if you really want great look at the K85, it is identical in spec to the K100, celestion just decided that they underrated the wattage and renamed it the K100. K85's are Brittish instead of chinese. there is a differnce though, i have some of both, K85's are better IMO.

i'll keep that in mind if i ever decide to get any, thanks for the info
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?