So my Peavey 5150 is in need of new tubes, and I'm basically clueless on what to do and how to go about it. All tubes are 12AX7, and seeing as the preamp and power tubes were on it when I bought it awhile back, I want to replace them all.
19/m/US/Schecter Addict

I'm not witty enough for this kinda crap.
Ok, the tubes are not all 12AX7's, that's just the preamp tubes. So, are you changing all of the tubes or just the power tubes?

EDIT: Also. why does it need a whole revamp?
Oh. Good to know haha, and yeah, I'm changing all the tubes because they've been on there for roughly two years. It'll start cracking really loudly when I crank the post-gain up past 1, but not constantly.. just like.. every few minutes.
19/m/US/Schecter Addict

Ah ok, just a few more questions!

How many tubes are in your amp and what kind are they? I googled but I found different versions of the amp. If you could count the preamp tubes (smaller ones) and the power tubes (larger) and check what make they are. As you said the preamp tubes are 12AX7's, now for the power tubes, are they 6L6's, EL34's etc. It should say on the tube.

Now, do you want any changes out of your amp? Brighter, more gain, better mids etc.
I have the original 5150, also referred to as the "block-letter" version. It has 5 preamp tubes and 4 power tubes. I don't see any kind of make on the tubes, but if each one has a certain shape, I could pick em out...
19/m/US/Schecter Addict

Ah ok, they're four 6L6GC's.

What make are your tubes?

I'd recommend a set of JJ's with a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in the phase inverter position of your amp, usually V1.
JJs work really well in Peaveys in the pre and power amp. They are a darker sounding tube though, so if you like it a bit brighter, Tung-Sols would be a great replacement in the power amp.

As far as replacing them goes. Unless your amp has a bias mod on it, the bias can't be adjusted on the amp, so all you need to do is pull out the old tubes and stick the new ones in.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MC speaks truth. However, if you can afford them stick SED Winged C's in the power amp. Next best thing to NOS.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
MC speaks truth. However, if you can afford them stick SED Winged C's in the power amp. Next best thing to NOS.

I don't think I've tried the =C= 6L6s, but the EL-34s are great. I'll have to try some of them!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The difference between SED and JJ with 6L6's isn't as great because JJ make a great 6L6. Personally, my 6L6 amp is running Brimars - and they cost me less than JJ's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Reviving this thread because I need a little more info on this... So if my amp doesn't have a bias mod, I don't have to worry about taking it in to a shop and I can just change the tubes myself and not worry about it? Even if I use a different set of tubes?
19/m/US/Schecter Addict

Quote by NightBladeXx
Reviving this thread because I need a little more info on this... So if my amp doesn't have a bias mod, I don't have to worry about taking it in to a shop and I can just change the tubes myself and not worry about it? Even if I use a different set of tubes?

Not necessarily... What amp are we talking about? Might just want to start your own thread.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!