have a question GB&C gurus. I have plans for a Explorer 7 string build. I have an Alder Body blank that is not large enough to support the shape would I be better off getting a body or something from Warmoth or something or can I get another Alder blank and join them together to give me enough wood? just wondering. Thanks.
Attachments:
explorer fail.jpg
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
Are you having a solid finish? If so just some more smaller bits of alder and glue on the edges to make up the width,

As you can see from this picture the body blank is not wide enough for the full LP width and so 'ears' have been added either side to make up the full width

If you get the 'ears' from different cut of wood than the body the colour may be different and will show obviously like in the following pic

Doesnt matter on a solid finish though.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by amatas83
have a question GB&C gurus. I have plans for a Explorer 7 string build. I have an Alder Body blank that is not large enough to support the shape would I be better off getting a body or something from Warmoth or something or can I get another Alder blank and join them together to give me enough wood? just wondering. Thanks.

you can probably get another blank and cut it to match the shape and glue it to the other one
when you go to cut the body out, you will have alot of offcuts. If you plan well, you can use the off cuts for the parts where it is not wide enough. Put your template on the blank, trace it and determine if you have enough. This is fairly normal. Many headstocks have wings also.
OK so perhaps I'll look for another slab of Alder then I'll have to talk over things with the guy I'm having build it and see what he thinks as well. Piece was just a little too small to support the size/shape as you can see in the pic.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)