Well... I may record black metal... But throwing the mic on the floor next to the amp just isn't working anymore. Get too much feedback on the output. I'm wanting to record the guitar, straight into the computer, would it be possible to do this with the M-Audio FTU interface? I attempted yesterday, but failed miserably. I plugged an instrument cable from the "record out" jack on my amp, to channel 1 of the interface. I also had my guitar hooked to my amp with a different cable.

However when i did this, Nothing came out of the Amp, nor was recorded.

Using Ableton live if that helps any?

I would think I could do it with this interface instead of buying a 1/4" to 1/8" Guitar/Mono adapter... Any help?
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
So many variables.

Let's break this down, what amp? It has a recording out, does it have a level control for this? Were the input signal lights registering signal?
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
Ya trust me I'm a complete moron when it comes to recording. And be prepared to laugh, Line 6 spider III xD

No it doesn't have a control for that.
The fast track ultra, did it light up to show signal?
Quote by fly135
if your going straight to the computer have you thought about using amp simulators and impulse response loaders? You will probably get a better sound. search for amp sim guide on UG and there is a big thread about it that can help you
Still, shouldn't I be able to run an instrument cable from the Interface, to the amp? When I plug in the cable to the record/out jack on my amp... I hear nothing from the amp if I play. However if I take out the cable, it plays like normal? Any ideas?
I'm pretty sure that the recording out on the spider is like a heaphone socket and will auto mute the amp. I asked twice if you were getting the input signal lights on the interface to illuminate.
Quote by fly135
Sorry about missing that bro, no there's no signal lights. however, a few minutes ago... I re-installed the Fast track driver, and was screwing around with it in ableton. I got it all connected and ready to use... still can't get anything to record. No sound was coming out of my computer, so I plugged headphones into the Interface, I could hear what I had playing on my computer. So I can get audio from computer to interface... but can't get it to go from Guitar>Amp>Interface>Computer
Ok, with stuff like this you need to work methodically.

Headphones prove signal is coming through and that probably the amp auto-mutes. Did you say that you had a Fast Track Pro? It has signal and clip lights. Adjust the gain on the input to get the right level. Can you get it to peak?
Quote by fly135
Hmm... it's fast track ultra. I turned the gain all the way up, but on my audio clip in Ableton... still doesn't even recognize any sound whatsoever.
Fast track Ultra is a more advanced version of the Pro. They both have green input signal leds and a red clipping led. If these aren't lighting up, the problem is nothing to do with the software hence why I keep asking.
Quote by fly135
Hmm, then what do you suggest the problem be?

I think I might be so retarded at this... I may be plugging the cable into the wrong jack... It's just a standard 1/4" instrument cable, I have it going from the "record/out" jack on my amp, to an Input jack on back of interface... On a video I watched for setting up an interface, the guy had a 1/4" to Microphone cable... and the big jacks on the front are labeled "mic/inst" so... do I need to get one of those?
Plug it into input 1 on the front - the 1/4" Xlr combi socket (they take standard jack or Xlr plugs), set the switch to 'front' and turn up the channel 1's gain until it peaks and then back it off a little. If it doesn't work, plug a guitar straight in the same socket.
Quote by fly135
I love you man. I'm able to record now, but is there a way I can monitor it out of my PC speakers instead of headphone through the interface?
The long answer is a DAW setup guide two pages long about adding two audio card setups and using the "send" on the track to send the signal to your on board audio but this might lead to latency etc.

Short answer? Connect your monitors to your interface..
Alright thanks a lot, I'll just have to deck out some cash on a new set of phones. No big deal.

Well I'm finally getting the quality I want but... is there anyway at all I could make it sounds just a littttleee bit cleaner? Not much just a little? I'm sure there's a way to do it with Ableton.... But I'm not sure how to do that. Maybe I should download a SIM amp?
What do you mean by cleaner? When recording from your line out on your amp into the interface you should see the level's on your interface move while playing. Make sure they are not jumping up into the red. Adjust the gain on your interface to where they are just falling short of that line during your loudest parts.

Once recording add a weeee bit of compression to your track to even it out a little bit. Then youll need to eq the tracks to sit right in your mix. FYI, was news to me at 1st too but your gonna want more MIDS out of your guitar then you think. Let the bass guitar do the low stuff and have your guitar do the mid stuff... =)
Hmm, appreciate it a lot man. Ya I've got the gain so it doesn't jump into red, right on the fine line. Thanks man.
When you record, use less gain than you think you need and try double tracking guitar parts.
Quote by fly135