My first post here, just made an account for the following:

I own 2 guitars: A quite cheap squier tele and a mexican strat from around 300 euros.

Ive been playing the cheap tele for about 2 years before I got the strat.
Ive noticed before that the strat has medium jumbo frets, unlike the squier.

Now ive been noticing that my grip can be quite harsh and when doing bar chords, I get that sharpening effect caused by pushing the strings too much on jumbo frets.

Last week, I played on my tele (after a while.) Im asshamed to admit that this guitar, as intonation is concerned, sounds much better. Open chords have never sound so in-tune. Now ive been checking out the intonation on the strat before and its ok, but at frets 7 (or so) and lower, the notes are sharp so easy when pushing the string down (I play with 009s string.)

I don't know what frets are on the tele, and I was hoping if anybody could recognize the type. Are they vintage? Im really overthinking to do a refret on the strat, but ive heard it can cost A LOT. What can you good people advice me (and tell me about the frets on the squier?)

Thanks for ur time!
Attachments:
Afbeelding 002.jpg
Afbeelding 003.jpg
Learning not to mash on the frets is a lot cheaper than the $300+ it's going to cost you for a refret. You might as well just buy a different guitar at that point.

I assume you've actually adjusted the intonation on these guitars to compensate for your hard fretting?

There's not really a good solution here. You'll either have to change your technique or spend a bunch of money getting a guitar with smaller frets.
Quote by Roc8995
Learning not to mash on the frets is a lot cheaper than the $300+ it's going to cost you for a refret. You might as well just buy a different guitar at that point.

I assume you've actually adjusted the intonation on these guitars to compensate for your hard fretting?

There's not really a good solution here. You'll either have to change your technique or spend a bunch of money getting a guitar with smaller frets.

I'm not mashing them . Im sure im not being violent. The first 7 frets just don't sound perfect. Just holding a normal bar chord doesn't sound in tune anyway, but playing the strings open or at the 12th fret DOES. When im playing my tele I don't get that problem. I can intentionally make my fretting hand push down harder and still don't hear detuning. Could you tell me what fret wire you recognise in the pictures?
Last edited by Fomindil at Dec 16, 2011,