Page 1 of 3
David Cameron has said the UK is a Christian country "and we should not be afraid to say so".

In a speech in Oxford on the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible, the prime minister called for a revival of traditional Christian values to counter Britain's "moral collapse".

He said "live and let live" had too often become "do what you please".

The PM said it was wrong to suggest that standing up for Christianity was "somehow doing down other faiths".

Describing himself as a "committed" but only "vaguely practising" Christian, the PM admitted he was "full of doubts" about big theological issues.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16224394

There you go. Biblical values and morals made Britain what it is today.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Kensai do you live in the UK?

If not, why do you give a ****?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
What...?
Quote by Kensai
What...?

Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Our head of state is the head of the Anglican church, technically he's correct.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
-_-'
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Tom 1.0

Tom, were you forced to enter this thread?

Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
¯\_(ツ_/¯
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
Christian moral values? Bugger off, Cameron!

Moral values and ethics, fine. But don't try and give the praise to Christianity.

Stupid bloody politicians.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Last edited by Joeval at Dec 16, 2011,
Quote by Lemoninfluence
Tom, were you forced to enter this thread?

Touche.

Until next time Lemon...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by andyscoot
Well, he isn't wrong. It's the most common religion here.

it's the most common religion yes, but given that we have the right of freedom of religion, to have the political leader of the country come out and say 'this is a christian country' marginalises a large part of society and is more than a little bit shitty.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Dec 16, 2011,
Quote by andyscoot
Well, he isn't wrong. It's the most common religion here.

That's true but misleading. Give polls like 'are you a practising Christian?' and it turns out that most people in the UK aren't.
Quote by Tom 1.0

I follow yanky politics and used to follow Australian politics. Y'know, for fun.
Last edited by Craigo at Dec 16, 2011,
Seems like the usual trite blah blah. Yeah, there's Christians in Britain, and there's people who aren't, and independantly of personal beliefs there's a lot of vaguely Christian cultural background noise. The guy doesn't know what to make of it, whom he wants to appeal to or how to appeal to anyone, and then comes up with that non-statement.
Nothing to see here.
Hey fuck you guys, that's our job.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
it's the most common religion yes, but given that we have the right of freedom of religion, to have the political leader of the country come out and say 'this is a christian country' marginalises a large part of society and is more than a little bit shitty.

This is how we murcans have to feel every day.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

In a speech in Oxford on the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible, the prime minister called for a revival of traditional Christian values to counter Britain's "moral collapse".

This is the part that bothers me. Why does he keep thinking britain is morally depraved all the time? What are traditional christian values anyway? He thinks so little of people, like they're all just plebs.

Quote by Lemoninfluence

Agreed. I don't feel it was necessary.

Quote by EuBoat
Oh bugger off, Dave.

Why that's not a very christian thing to say
Quote by Kensai
This is the part that bothers me. Why does he keep thinking britain is morally depraved all the time? What are traditional christian values anyway? He thinks so little of people, like they're all just plebs.

Welcome to upper class conservatism.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Actually this statement isn't as radical as the headline suggests. Read the whole article, as it was intended to be read (not select quotations), and you'll see he pretty much says what people from all faith/non-faiths want to hear to accomodate everybody and not cause a stir.
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
Last edited by mullet1337 at Dec 16, 2011,
Quote by Kensai

Maybe the riots this year made him a wee bit sad? Kinda like Sarkozy during the riots in France (though he at least didn't invoke any deities).
Last edited by TheQuailman at Dec 16, 2011,
This is surprising why? Worldwide, this is basically what you get when you elect Conservative officials to any office. It's all a bunch of "God this, God that", "We're a Christian Nation", and "Screw the Brown people", all while fellating the wealthy.

...going to listen to some Ghost. Nothing wipes away the thought of batshit insane Conservative politicians like some Satan-rock.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by Kensai
He thinks so little of people, like they're all just plebs.

Silly plebs. Wealths are for Lords.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Kensai

Most British are 'cultural Christians'. Whilst they may not be practising, they'll happily call themselves Christian on various paper forms, even enjoy Christian culture and may observe it. It's weird, but it is interesting to say the least. In the UK you can get away with saying something like that without appearing to be a far right Bible basher because of that. It's paying lip service to a respectable aspect of British culture, something you can do even if you're not a Christian at all. It's just one of those nice, wishy washy things.

Also, the idea of 'broken Britain' is a powerful one. It sells newspapers, grabs people's attention and focuses an eye over the people who make up this country. We're cynical bastards, and it often shows up in showing scepticism of the modern age. Scepticism of modern days is not unique to the Britain of today. Earliest time I can remember it happening distinctly was after the American colonies gained independence. Regardless, you can get away with saying that there's a lack of respect for elders, youths are dangerous and going mental. Even when youth crime was going down under Blair, there was still a notable fear of young people and their young people ways. The Tories used it to their political advantage, crying out against decreased prison sentences for convictions. It's something which can gain respect of voters, whilst not alienating them too much.

EDIT: That plus he's trying to earn brownie points with the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible. Worst example I've seen of it so far is this, definitely: http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/nov/25/michael-gove-king-james-bible

Education Minister (or whatever they call it nowadays) basically wasted a whole bunch of taxpayers money on a useless gesture to make himself look good. During austerity. Bastard.

EDIT again: I'm tired and rambly - work out why I said that myself if it's not clear enough already, too lazy to do any substantial edits
Last edited by Craigo at Dec 16, 2011,
Quote by Lemoninfluence

How the **** does stating a fact, which is true, most people that live in the UK are rasised on Christian values, marginalise a large part of society?
maybe you should have read the bible before strangling that kid kensai
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by So-Cal
How the **** does stating a fact, which is true, most people that live in the UK are rasised on Christian values, marginalise a large part of society?

because it implicitly devalues other moral systems and suggests that they aren't part of Britain.

replace 'christian' with 'white' and hopefully you'll see it.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Lemoninfluence
because it implicitly devalues other moral systems and suggests that they aren't part of Britain.

replace 'christian' with 'white' and hopefully you'll see it.

I don't think he was suggesting that at all.

Why replace 'christian' with 'white' are you saying Christianity is a 'white' religion?
Quote by technicolour
Taking a lesson from north american politicians I see.

Hey look, Brits are just as stupid for electing a stupid PM. Isn't that neat.

I guess British people will soon be turning to rock radio, fast cars and hotdogs too.
Quote by So-Cal

Why replace 'christian' with 'white' are you saying Christianity is a 'white' religion?

Jesus shit that was stupid.
Quote by So-Cal

not explicitly.

maybe not even consciously, but that's the potential effect of his words.

no, I was saying that similar comments made in relation to race would likely be considered discriminatory and would marginalise a large section of society. I feel it'd be more obvious in that context. I simply chose white because Britain has a 'white' history in the same sense that it has a 'christian' history.

It was at one point almost all white and white is the largest racial demographic at this point in time, but if similar comments were made in that context it'd be easy to see how one section of society would be marginalised.

And before anyone bitches I'm not equating race with religion.

Quote by element4433
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Dec 16, 2011,
Quote by severed-metal
Hey look, Brits are just as stupid for electing a stupid PM. Isn't that neat.

I guess British people will soon be turning to rock radio, fast cars and hotdogs too.

Technically but substantially, we didn't vote in the Prime Minister, or even a Conservative government
Page 1 of 3