Hey guys,

I wanted to get a Hot Rod Deville but I didn't have enough money, so I got a Blues Jr. instead.
Can you guys tell me what I am missing ? In terms of tone ?

In a nutshell!

Thanks!!
Happy playing and merry christmas to you all
Blues Jr is a single channel amp and much less headroom since it's such a small amp. Cleans are a bit grittier, sounds a bit boxy. OD sounds infinitely better though. I owned both for a period of time and strongly preferred the Blues Jr, though it wasn't my favorite amp for the price. I'd only go for the HRD if you use pedals for dirt. The HRD's dirty channel sounds like a can of bees farting while revving a chainsaw. Seriously one of the worst dirty channels I've ever heard. Though the Blues Jr. is kinda weak for cleans, especially if you play loud or gig.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
hahaha! thanks!
I use a Visual Sound Jekyll&Hyde for my OD and distortion (a very good pedal used by famous artists).

What does boxy mean?
"Small", kinda muffled. i.e., the bass response is a bit lacking and the highs aren't really clear. It can be (mostly) fixed with a speaker upgrade though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

oh right I see, I think that's what I experience sometimes but I got used to it. So Im not really missing that much, exept the clean headroom ?
Yup. And the foot switchable channels but that's not really anything since only one channel on the HRD is useable IME.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

haha, yeah! Its not the first time I hear about the drive channel on the HRD. So the kind of tone is the same right ? I hear sometime people say that they have quite a noticeable difference in tone.
I love my blues junior... if there is one advice i can give you is to crank the master open all the way, then get the volume up to like 2/3 and do the rest from the guitar itself. With some good settings it wont sound boxy at all Well... unless you expect it to be a mesa boogie or a fender twin reverb.. :P
Quote by ridicilus
I love my blues junior... if there is one advice i can give you is to crank the master open all the way, then get the volume up to like 2/3 and do the rest from the guitar itself. With some good settings it wont sound boxy at all Well... unless you expect it to be a mesa boogie or a fender twin reverb.. :P

I had never tried that, thanks a lot I will try it! All the way to 12 ? Will I still get some cleans?
Last edited by alans056 at Dec 16, 2011,
Won't I lose precious tone quality by not having the volume on the guitar all the way up?
Quote by alans056
I had never tried that, thanks a lot I will try it! All the way to 12 ? Will I still get some cleans?

You will have great cleans when you have the master at 12. Try it! Master is the amount of tube as far as i know, so master at 12 will mean most of the tube sound, and volue is the amount of sound you will get. I dont know if that is true; i'm not a gearhead, i do know it sounds great though
Last edited by ridicilus at Dec 16, 2011,
Quote by ridicilus
You will have great cleans when you have the master at 12. Try it! Master is the amount of tube as far as i know, so master at 12 will mean most of the tube sound, and volue is the amount of sound you will get. I dont know if that is true, i do know it sounds great

wat

The master volume is a variable voltage divider after the preamp that controls how much of the signal is sent to the PI. The regular volume is the same after the first triode stage.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by ridicilus
You will have great cleans when you have the master at 12. Try it! Master is the amount of tube as far as i know, so master at 12 will mean most of the tube sound, and volue is the amount of sound you will get. I dont know if that is true; i'm not a gearhead, i do know it sounds great though

That post... that name...

Look, no offense. But that was one of those posts where I don't know how to answer, because it doesn't make any friggin sense at all.

The master and volume dials are both just volume controls in different parts of the circuit.

EDIT: ^What that guy said.
Quote by mmolteratx
wat

The master volume is a variable voltage divider after the preamp that controls how much of the signal is sent to the PI. The regular volume is the same after the first triode stage.

Like i said, i am not a gearhead nor do i claim to know anything about it I do know it sounds great and i'd vote for that.
Quote by alans056
It will use the tubes faster won't it ??

No. If you've got the same output volume, your power tubes are seeing the same size signal at the grid, provided they're within their linear range (i.e., not distorting). The only thing his method would do is cut out most of the preamp distortion so you'd have something loud and relatively clean, which may or may not be what you want.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Right i see!

But I don't really like touching the volume controls on my guitar (lp custom btw) because the sound gets kind of dull, In my opinion. So maybe that "trick" isn't for me but anyway I will try it!
If the sound gets dull when turning down the guitar's volume, you can just install capacitors on the volume-pots. 220pF is a popular value.
the volume and tone controls are all stock epiphone so maybe that's why! but the pickups are gibons 57 classic.

so basically, the tone between the 2 amps are pretty much the same.
might be a little offtopic but what is the difference between volume and master anyways? i only use my amp for recording so i treat it in the studio with effects and stuff so for me a clean signal is all i need... So if anyone can give me some insight on that :P
Quote by alans056
the volume and tone controls are all stock epiphone so maybe that's why! but the pickups are gibons 57 classic.

not really the two amps sound completely different.

one has el84 output tubes and the other runs 6l6s.

the power tubes will break up at different volumes.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by alans056

BJs are always better than HRDs imo.

you got the right amp

as mentioned, maybe consider a different speaker or tubes down the road but you've got the right OD pedal and idea......rock the fuck out
The HRD's may as well be a single channel amp. The second channel may as well not be there, it's garbage.

The BJ will break up at lower volumes which is just what you want for blues. I guess that's why they call it a Blues Jnr.

THe HRD would be my choice if all I wanted was cleans. The BJ if I wanted some power tube breakup at useable volumes. EL84's are a great tube for blues.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
they are actually exactly the same amp, but Fender changes the advertising so they can sell some for more
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}