hey everyone, I was having a problem with my string bending technique and wondered if you had any input for a solution. My problem is that when I bend the strings, my fingers wind up touching the next string up (i.e. on a bend on the D string, my fingers touch the A string) and then on a return makes an obnoxious pull-off type sound as the other string (the one i'm not bending) rings out. Advice?
Last edited by JoeFlips at Dec 16, 2011,
i used to have this problem, and this is what i do, it might not work for you, but then again.. it might

say im bending the 9th fret G string, and im using my ring finger, i'll use the really fleshy part for the actual string im bending, and i'll use the tip of the finger to control the D, also, if you are using the ring finger for the bend at the 9, put your pointer on the 7, and it will make the bend much easier, and you won't have to bend as aggressively.

so in short, use your finger for the bend, but also to control the surrounding strings. and use another finger on a lower fret to make the bend easier and less aggressive. hope i helped. =]
A lot of it is to do with muting with your picking hand. A good player will mute the strings above with his right, and strings below with his left.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
i had this problem too. i'm sure there are lots of ways to fix it but for me i use the tip of my finger on the bend and make sure the other string doesn't slide under my finger. also a muting extra strings with ur right hand is always a good idea
Don"t Be A Bitch.
What I do is mute the string I don't want to sound kind of with my right hand thumb. I'v seen a few guys do this. I'll find a video where you can clearly see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYMupc564zE

Another thing I do when I bend is my fretting hand thumb comes right over the fretboard, and that may help a little to with your problem.
Quote by southpaw_tdg
i had this problem too. i'm sure there are lots of ways to fix it but for me i use the tip of my finger on the bend and make sure the other string doesn't slide under my finger. also a muting extra strings with ur right hand is always a good idea

Yeah this. Exactly this in fact.

Try some bends really really slowly, and make sure your finger never grips the next string down, and instead just pushes out out of the way. Now pay special attention when you descend. I can't really explain it much better than that unfortunately, but after a little while of paying careful attention to it it will just be natural and this will no longer be a problem.

It's always good to mute unwanted noise with your right hand too, but that's more for redundancy just in case - it's much less effective as the primary technique as if you are gripping and plucking the next string down, it's still going to make a bit of a noise even if you are muting. So basically - do both, but the most important part is that you do the bend properly.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
When i bend, my index finger comes over the top and mutes the above string.
Quote by Nameless742
A lot of it is to do with muting with your picking hand. A good player will mute the strings above with his right, and strings below with his left.

This. I read this, and was like..hm, why does that sound oddly familiar? Turns out i've been doing it w/out even thinking about it for god knows how long haha
by the time you read this you will be wasting your time because it doesnt say anything
Quote by Nameless742

You must also use your fretting hand to mute the above string whenever possible. If you are fretting a note correctly, the tip of your index finger should touch the above string slightly.