Hey guys, my krank rev jr halstacks effects loop is giving me shit. And i mean EXACTLY that. I get this great, amazing, bone crushing metal tone by boosting the tubes with my mxr wylde OD in front of the amp, and then i go to engage the loop with a little bit of chorus, and instantly, my tone turns to shit. I unplug the send and return cables, and my great tone is back.....WTF?!?!?!?!? This is my first time using a loop, and i really really REALLY hope that all effects loops arent like this, because i too would like to get the most out of my delays,choruses,flangers,phasers,etc etc, while stile retaining my good tone that i love while the loop is off.

This specific loop is active, which is a total pain in the ass. No foootswitch to turn it off or on. Krank rev jr pro halfstack, an otherwise amazing amp. I called the guys at krank, and they werent very helpful. So i was hoping that one of you guys mightve been able to. The tone, when the loop is engaged, loses all definition and balls, theres even an effects volume, and a boost, but it doesnt help with retaining my awesome tone that i acquired whilst the loop was off. Is this because when the loop is engaged, only the power/post amp tubes are working??? And the overdrive being used in the preamp is being cut off?

Do you guys understand where im comin from? I just want to have my cake and eat it too. I want to be able to engage the effects loop of any amp im playing that has one every once in a while when i need it, and i want to have the great tone that i had before i engaged it while using it as well.

Please help. It might just be that my amp has a shitty loop. The guys at peavey told me that if i engage the 6505+ effects loop, nothing in my tone will change. Itll just change if i activate the effects pedals in the loop that i want to use.

Once again, youre input is much appreciated. I tried to word this shitstorm as best i could. Thanks for your patience, and words of wisdom. -DeathShredder
It's because you're running the chorus after the overdrive. Modulation effects (chorus, flanger, phaser, wah, etc.) generally sound best in front of the amp and any overdrive/distortion effects, because the clean guitar signal is easier for the pedal to process than the distorted one.
Last edited by Pac_man0123 at Dec 16, 2011,
Quote by DeathShredder23
No......

Well then if it's that bad, it sounds like the signal you're hearing is separate from the effects loop.

Once with my JSX, I put my ISP Decimator in the effects loop. When I switched it on, it was super quiet and not very distorted. When I replaced the battery in the ISP, it worked fine.

Check the pedal that's in the effects loop. If it's using a battery, get a new one. If it's using a 9v adapter, try using a battery instead. Otherwise, check your cables.
but thats what the decimator is designed to do, man. To reduce noise, without cutting out your signal and all of the dynamics. But thanks, ill try the battery thing, and make sure that if im using an adapter, itll be securely plugged into a goodd power source. But im starting to think that its just my amps particular loop. Its active, like i said, which means its always on if you plug it in. Ill have to just buy a footswitch for my peavey and see if that loop gives me a more uncompromised, unchanged, sound.
The effects loop has a volume knob in the back for the player to turn up or down. And a boost switch, which i find just makes everything LOUDER. it doesnt exactly improve my tone, or, should i say, give me the great tone i had prior to engaging the loop.
does your tone in the effects loop suffer with the pedal off? with different pedals in the loop instead?

unless theres something wrong with the wiring of your amp, I'm having a hard time thinking of anything other than a set-up error (typically something minor you though was just fine) that would cause dramatic tone drop
with what pedal off??? When i engage the loop, my overdrive pedal is still on. Its ALWAYS on. i wont play without it. I engage the loop with my chorus pedal, and like, instantly when i stomp on it, theres tone drop. I havent tried it with the chorus pedal off while its in the loop though. What are you getting at? That the pedal might be defective?, or that im not turning it up enough? volumewise??
its your pedal, not the loop. if the loop is always engaged, and the sound only gets wonky when you turn on the chorus (the chorus pedal can only turn itself on. it has no bearing on whether the loop is on or whether the signal is passing through it). again, its the pedal, not the loop

try a new battery or changing your settings. also, what chorus pedal are you using?
Quote by DeathShredder23
but thats what the decimator is designed to do, man. To reduce noise, without cutting out your signal and all of the dynamics. But thanks, ill try the battery thing, and make sure that if im using an adapter, itll be securely plugged into a goodd power source. But im starting to think that its just my amps particular loop. Its active, like i said, which means its always on if you plug it in. Ill have to just buy a footswitch for my peavey and see if that loop gives me a more uncompromised, unchanged, sound.

It wasn't the ISP, it was the fact that the battery was dead. You need to read more carefully, man. I know it's a noise gate, I'm not retarded.
Except its not a noise gate. its a noise reduction pedal. There ya go. Ya learn something new everyday.
it was an mxr chorus pedal. and no, what i meant to say, is that evn when the pedal isnt engaged, it still sounds like shit. As long as the pedal is put into the loop, it doesnt even have to be turned on. It still sounds like shit. Maybe ill just have to adjust my settings. on the amp.