My sm57 is clipping way before my preamp does, even if the gain on my preamp is a tick away from 0. what could be the problem?
could be the lead/dodgy connection, could be the capsule's busted but thats VERY hard to do to a 57. Could be you're actually just distorting the capsule but you'd have to be playing incredibly loud.
An SM57 can handle ~178db.

A jet engine is 140db.

It's not the mic.

If you're using a saffire, theres def either something in your signal chain thats messing with the signal, or your drivers for the interface are messed up. Or maybe the 57's diaphragm is damaged?
Last edited by rokket2005 at Dec 16, 2011,
how do you know it's clipping before the preamp?

what's the signal level look like when you are recording?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
the signal level on the preamp is fine, the software shows a lot of clipping. (i'm using reaper by the way)
well if the software shows clipping then the signal level on the preamp is too high.

make sure that you are on Mic and not di and use the pad if you're playing loud.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
well if the software shows clipping then the signal level on the preamp is too high.

make sure that you are on Mic and not di and use the pad if you're playing loud.

i am on the mic, and the pad is on, also the gain (signal level) on the preamp is very very low almost like a tic away from 0
yeah, i am monitoring it. god dammit, do you think it could be a wiring problem?
Quote by rokket2005
An SM57 can handle ~178db.

A jet engine is 140db.

It's not the mic.

If you're using a saffire, theres def either something in your signal chain thats messing with the signal, or your drivers for the interface are messed up. Or maybe the 57's diaphragm is damaged?

which part is the diaphragm? the little plastic film?
yeah, and if it's damaged theres pretty much no chance of fixing it. It's connected to two small portions just underneath it, and margin for error for getting it just in the right place is zero.
ah ok, will it show that it's damaged? or you can't tell by just looking at it?
Do you have another mic to try to rule out that it's not the preamp?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com