I think i started music theory off wrong. Memorized 5 major positions. Then minor pentatonic and blue. Anyway just positions. I don't understand any of them. I was wondering where you people learned, a book maybe? Or a useful website? Ehh.. I don't even know what to google.. I'm a bit lost, thank you. ^-^
learn piano, it'll make your life so much easier
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I have used the Guitar Grimoire book series. They can be found at Guitar Center or most music stores, and some book stores. Also The Lick Library dvds from Mel Bay are great. There is one in particular called Fretboard Navigator that really helped me. I believe there is a second on out now as well.
Quote by Hail
learn piano, it'll make your life so much easier
I've piano for 4 years. But I mostly played by myself so.. I learned scales and chords on my own by discovering things i called "a group of seven notes that can play the same song"... I memorized the notes in them without knowing what they were called... and "a group of three notes that sound nice with a melody" ...which i memorized stuff i foudn out without knowing their names either.. ehhh... i never learned the conventional way.. ^-^;;;; i just learned they were called scales n chords much later. :|
@ WESC and :-D : Thanks, I'll keep my eye out next time I go out to the mall.
Quote by :-D
Also, if you have questions while you're learning, the MT forum on here can be helpful occasionally.

stress on occasionally

we're good up to like 5 posts, then we gotta fight about modes or enharmonic frequencies
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Also, if you have questions while you're learning, the MT forum on here can be helpful occasionally.

MT <3 reminds me of Cannibal Holocaust!
Quote by Flibo
This a thousand times.

i didn't know there was a guide like this in UG, thank you. yey, reading it now ^^
Yep, just far less exciting/illegal.

but they had animals fight last week!
they let a monkey and a wolf battle in a cage while Mozart was playing in the background!!
Like stated earlier, learn the piano. And if you want to really learn music theory, take a class. But take my advice, if it's general music theory, you will find yourself irritated by modern music easily.
Quote by luxeion
I've piano for 4 years. But I mostly played by myself so.. I learned scales and chords on my own by discovering things i called "a group of seven notes that can play the same song"... I memorized the notes in them without knowing what they were called... and "a group of three notes that sound nice with a melody" ...which i memorized stuff i foudn out without knowing their names either.. ehhh... i never learned the conventional way.. ^-^;;;; i just learned they were called scales n chords much later. :|

i started that way as well. It does wonders for your ear as a developing musician. Once you get all the theory behind it, then you can always go back to doing things that way. I feel like more pure emotion comes out that way. And then you always have the knowledge to WHY is sounds good and maybe even how to make it better than it always is. All thanks to music theory. So learn it

Start with learning chromatic scale and enharmonics.
Move on to half-steps, whole-steps, and intervals
Then learn how to "build" the major and minor scales
etc.
by the time you read this you will be wasting your time because it doesnt say anything
The one thing that will open up your understanding of the guitar is hardly ever mentioned.

Scale patterns are good to a certain extent but what I would suggest is learning the notes on the guitar. It is a complete ball ache to do but when you have got it you automatically see every note you are playing whether in a chord or a scale.

At that point you can forget learning many shapes for a scale and just concentrate on the notes.

Think of it this way - how many shapes would you have to learn to "know" the E pentatonic minor scale across the fretboard? The easiest way is to know that it is made up of E G A B and D. If you know where your notes are, the fretboard is your playground, plus you won't be playing the same old licks that everybody uses.

I found learning the notes hard but i found some decals that fit on the fretboard with the notes on. In two weeks the notes were burned in my skull. Hth
Quote by Guitarschool
The one thing that will open up your understanding of the guitar is hardly ever mentioned.

Scale patterns are good to a certain extent but what I would suggest is learning the notes on the guitar. It is a complete ball ache to do but when you have got it you automatically see every note you are playing whether in a chord or a scale.

At that point you can forget learning many shapes for a scale and just concentrate on the notes.

Think of it this way - how many shapes would you have to learn to "know" the E pentatonic minor scale across the fretboard? The easiest way is to know that it is made up of E G A B and D. If you know where your notes are, the fretboard is your playground, plus you won't be playing the same old licks that everybody uses.

I found learning the notes hard but i found some decals that fit on the fretboard with the notes on. In two weeks the notes were burned in my skull. Hth

The decals work that quickly??

FFS Months of my life wasted and still being wasted on the frigging Fretboard.

I remember videos about it, and all the comments keep calling the dude a retard and telling how that would never work etc..
Worked for me. I've been playing 22 years and got the decals at about year 4.

If you think about it everything you play with the decals on you see the notes. You'll start to recognise where the notes are subconciously.

It might not work for everybody but I've taught quite a few people and it has worked for them. Hth
Quote by Guitarschool
Worked for me. I've been playing 22 years and got the decals at about year 4.

If you think about it everything you play with the decals on you see the notes. You'll start to recognise where the notes are subconciously.

It might not work for everybody but I've taught quite a few people and it has worked for them. Hth

Now that i think about it , it makes kinda sense if you think about the computer keyboard.
No one goes "omfg just memorize the keys dude" you just stop looking and it becomes second nature...
Last edited by Slashiepie at Dec 17, 2011,
Quote by Guitarschool
Trust me if it doesn't work, I'll give you a free lesson

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for the advice, ive been struggling for months with that hesitation of having to think for a split second or 3 seconds before i am sure what the note is.. and i always feel the need to recheck by using others as reference..

Gonna put them on my old epi for experimenting which ones did you order ?
Quote by Slashiepie
they let a monkey and a wolf battle in a cage while Mozart was playing in the background!!

Edit: Idiot me! i meant Sebastian.
Quote by Guitarschool

ahh, i've been trying to spend the boring class hours memorizing notes from strings 3-6 using octaves from E and A.. i'm still very bad at it. ._.;;; it's not like a piano i could just see every key in order. >.<;;;; what i'm trying to do now, is blurt out chords in tabs instead of just playing them. :P unfortunately i have no way of getting those decals, :| mummy says if we buy online a bad guy might..(sigh).. kidnap us or something or steal or fffhh, will sticker paper ruin guitar? hahha.. btw what is Hth? :O

Try to focus on how and why things sound the way they do, rather than just learning patterns on the fretboard. Here is a a good website... http://www.musictheory.net/lessons
Thanks, it's not for guitar but it shows the composition of scales n stuffs, tyyy
Last edited by luxeion at Dec 17, 2011,
Quote by luxeion
ahh, i've been trying to spend the boring class hours memorizing notes from strings 3-6 using octaves from E and A.. i'm still very bad at it. ._.;;; it's not like a piano i could just see every key in order. >.<;;;; what i'm trying to do now, is blurt out chords in tabs instead of just playing them. :P unfortunately i have no way of getting those decals, :| mummy says if we buy online a bad guy might..(sigh).. kidnap us or something or steal or fffhh, will sticker paper ruin guitar? hahha.. btw what is Hth? :O

Thanks, it's not for guitar but it shows the composition of scales n stuffs, tyyy

It means "hope that helps".
Where did you get the fretboard decals? I have a extra POS first act my brother gave me I would have no problem sticking stickers on it lol
Also what would be the best choice for music theory / fretboard theory if I wanted something to work on in a book format, something I could add into my weekly studys and work with my teacher on.
was lookin for an alternative to decals n staring at d fretboard.. i downloaded fretboard warrior game thingy where your timed to identify notes on the fret ..dunno if its effective but.. haha..
Quote by luxeion
was lookin for an alternative to decals n staring at d fretboard.. i downloaded fretboard warrior game thingy where your timed to identify notes on the fret ..dunno if its effective but.. haha..

Works extremely well for some people.
it never did anything for me, i had this android app and spent around 40 minutes on the train everyday doing it, i got insanely fast, yet my primitive brain never connected it to the actual fretboard.
Quote by Slashiepie
it never did anything for me, i had this android app and spent around 40 minutes on the train everyday doing it, i got insanely fast, yet my primitive brain never connected it to the actual fretboard.

hope it does something to me, hahah
Quote by nickni
Where did you get the fretboard decals? I have a extra POS first act my brother gave me I would have no problem sticking stickers on it lol

Type in fretboard decals in google and you'll get a few choices.
Quote by Slashiepie

I also have the Android app (RR Guitar Fretboard Trainer) and found a similar problem. I believe it's because the app only shows sections of the neck, and you have to scroll along it which just doesn't have the same effect as an actual guitar neck. The interval trainer, however, works just fine, and I'd recommend that to anyone wanting to learn interval positioning when away from the guitar. You can also use it to ear train if you close your eyes :P
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Quote by Slashiepie

Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by Guitarschool

X 1,000,000
Oh, just one thing while I think of it. Decals for the natural notes (no sharps or flats) are very useful, but avoid them for the accidentals. The problem is that a B flat note can be called A sharp, depending on the key, and in the realms of pure theory, and even acoustics, they're not the same note, even though on the guitar they sound the same.