first off i am mainly a guitarist (electric six string), i know guitars very well but do not know all that much about basses.

i had an old 80's washburn bass that was butchered that i picked up for $40. i gave it to a friend of mine as he didn't have anything to play on, and it was collecting dust in my studio.

please excuse ignorance in advance.

i do have a decent bass amp (if i were to guess) its a Genz Benz M-Line 200 combo with tweeter.

however, now i am starting to do some recording and i don't have a bass.

it needs to be pretty versatile, able to tackle metal and be able to play blues as well.

i am not really all that concerned about the feel of the neck, as i know i will have to do some adapting, but that shouldn't be an issue.

the most important thing for me is that it is solid and well built. if need be i am more than capable of changing pickups, etc.

i don't really have a firm budget but i would like to keep it low, as i have a pretty big shopping list for the next three months.

i do not want new unless it is an insane deal. i am more than happy with used gear.

<$350? maybe a little bit higher if it was something amazing.

also, what/why do most heavier bands do as far as more of a distorted bass or a clean tone for metal?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Take a look at the Squier VM Jazz:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Take a look at the Squier VM Jazz:

looks nice.

what is the difference tonally between the split pickups and the bar pickups (sorry dont know the proper name). what is each types strongsuit?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
looks nice.

what is the difference tonally between the split pickups and the bar pickups (sorry dont know the proper name). what is each types strongsuit?

for my personal experience, there's not much of a difference, but the split pickups (a.k.a. Precision bass pickups or P pups) tend to pack a more punchy tone. this makes the pbass pups stronger for rock/punk tones. the bar pickups (a.k.a. Jazz bass pickups or J pups) tend to have less attack, less punch, but are warmer nd sound fuller. personally i prefer the j pups, also i prefer jazz basses over precision basses, and i found jazz basses to be more versatile, and fun, since they have two pups ht you can combine, and precision basses has only one pickup. however, bear in mind i prefer jazz basses and i may be a bit biased.

Bear in mind that almost any bass can pull almost any genre, it's more about fiddling with the knobs on the bass and on the amp. i think with guitars it's a little more specfic, but with basses you don't need any particular bass to have a decent tone. decent tone is provided by any basses properly played and set up.

And i suggest getting a jazz or precision bass from the higher end squiers, think the vintage modified, and the classic vibe series. i my self got a vintage modified jazz bass, and to me it is the best bass in its price range...
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Last edited by Sudaka at Dec 16, 2011,
Quote by Sudaka
for my personal experience, there's not much of a difference, but the split pickups (a.k.a. Precision bass pickups or P pups) tend to pack a more punchy tone. this makes the pbass pups stronger for rock/punk tones. the bar pickups (a.k.a. Jazz bass pickups or J pups) tend to have less attack, less punch, but are warmer nd sound fuller. personally i prefer the j pups, also i prefer jazz basses over precision basses, and i found jazz basses to be more versatile, and fun, since they have two pups ht you can combine, and precision basses has only one pickup. however, bear in mind i prefer jazz basses and i may be a bit biased.

Bear in mind that almost any bass can pull almost any genre, it's more about fiddling with the knobs on the bass and on the amp. i think with guitars it's a little more specfic, but with basses you don't need any particular bass to have a decent tone. decent tone is provided by any basses properly played and set up.

And i suggest getting a jazz or precision bass from the higher end squiers, think the vintage modified, and the classic vibe series. i my self got a vintage modified jazz bass, and to me it is the best bass in its price range...

thank you very much for the well thought out and informative response.

i think i probably would prefer the Jazz pickups

its a lot different in the guitar world like you have said. i have 20 some guitars and they all have their spot and do things a little differently.

and what do you think of my amp? is it decent? i paid $120 for it. it is all SS. are tube amps the staple of bass amps as well as it is in the guitar world?

what do you think of ibanez's basses? just curious.

sorry for all of the questions and thank you.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup

and what do you think of my amp? is it decent? i paid $120 for it. it is all SS. are tube amps the staple of bass amps as well as it is in the guitar world?

what do you think of ibanez's basses? just curious.

sorry for all of the questions and thank you.

Tubes in the bass world aren't praised as much unlike what you hear in the guitar side of things. SS amps are widely accepted as the norm in the bass world and as you may see a lot of amps are SS or hybrids.

Ibanez basses are great unless you anything under 400 series of instruments. Gio Line is okay for what you get but you're much better off getting something in mid-range.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at Dec 16, 2011,
Quote by dark Mass
Tubes in the bass world aren't praised as much unlike what you hear in the guitar side of things. SS amps are widely accepted as the norm in the bass world and as you may see a lot of amps are SS or hybrids.

Ibanez basses are great unless you anything under 400 series of instruments. Gio Line is okay for what you get but you're much better off getting something in mid-range.

how does this model look (SR500)? i woudn't spend that much new, but i am sure i could find one used in my price range.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/ibanez-sr500-soundgear-4-string-bass/515055004203001?condition=used#used

how would that hold a candle in terms of quality to a MIM? i can find an MIM in budget locally.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
MiM are's similar in build quality of the Indo SR's IMO.

Or

You get a Squier VM or CV to get a bass that has better build quality than a MiM.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!