Page 1 of 3
Quick explanation. Post some bands you loved 5-10-15 years ago, then post a few bands you listen to now.

Is there a massive change?
Has your musical taste changed dramatically?

Mine from about 10 years ago...
Tupac
Ja-rule
Aaliyah (think thats how you spell it)
General rap/R & B

5 years ago...
A
Blink 182
Offspring
Rammstein
Greenday

Now...
Slipknot
Pantera
Metallica
Mushroomhead
Fall of troy
You are part of the rebel alliance, and a traitor.

Quote by The9

Now...
Slipknot
Pantera
Metallica
Mushroomhead
Fall of troy

So ****ing br00tal
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by damian_91
So ****ing br00tal

Thanks bro

Quote by The9
Thanks bro

You're very welcome, kind sir.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Then: Green Day, Blink 182, Eminem, Linkin Park

Now: Devil Doll, Spock's Beard, The Smiths, The Cure

Big transformation.
Quote by damian_91
You're very welcome, kind sir.

10 years ago
Biffy Clyro

Now
Biffy Clyro
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

10 years ago, aged 7
  • Backstreet Boys
  • N-Sync
  • Britney Spears
  • Aaron Carter

5 years ago, age 12
  • Green Day
  • Nirvana
  • The Beatles
  • Sex Pistols

Now (as in, last 3 months), age 17
  • Neutral Milk Hotel
  • Das Racist
  • David Bowie
  • Kanye West
Last edited by due 07 at Dec 16, 2011,
High school:
Slipknot, Mushroomhead, Metallica, The Berzerker, Static X.

Post College:
Alter Bridge, Metallica, Creed, Stone Sour, Alice In Chains, Tool.
Ultimate Guitar Owes Its Tabbers Cash Money!!!!! They Charge Users For Using The Tab Pro, Yet The Users Are The Ones Who Wrote The Tabs. Pay What You Owe And Suck My Penis Ultimate Guitar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Will Make Sure You Go Under You Corrupt Bastards
5 years ago:
blink-182
Green Day
Fall Out Boy
Panic! at The Disco

Now:
Groove Collective
Liquid Soul
Jamiroquai
Kurt Rosenwinkel
John Coltrane
The Beatles
Aca Seca Trio
John Scofield
Sonic Youth
The Strokes
Fugazi
At the Drive-In
and of cuorse Red Hot Chili Peppers and everything that comes from John Frusciante <3 c:

i think that from pop punk to mostly Acid Jazz and Latin music is quite a journey... Of course i'll hear Alternative! I was born in the 90's :B
10 years ago
Backstreet Boys
NSYNC
General bullshit, because I wasn't even 8 years old

5 years ago
Alexisonfire
Rise Against
Billy Talent
From First To Last
Escape The Fate

Now
Between The Buried And Me
Protest The Hero
The Contortionist
Over The Top
Gorillaz
Scale The Summit
City And Colour
Pink Floyd, etc.

I still really like Alexisonfire and Rise Against, and Billy Talent is OK. I don't like ETF or FFTL much anymore except a couple songs, but I can appreciate what they did in terms of inspiring me to play guitar.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Dec 16, 2011,
• Ten years ago: Eminem, Tupac, Dr. Dre... just hip hop, really.

• 5 years ago: Megadeth, Dragonforce, Metallica, Dream Theater, Satyricon, Cannibal Corpse, Trivium, basically a lot of 'entry-level' metal bands, although my taste was quickly broadening.

• Nowadays; Honestly, almost everything. I listen to such a wide range of music nowadays, I can't really classify myself as a fan of any one genre of music. If I were to list my FAVOURITE bands, they'd be; Beardfish, Madeon, Hey Ocean!, Porcupine Tree, SikTh, Periphery, Thundercat, Between The Buried & Me, Cloudkicker, Spastic Ink, Moon Safari, Animals As Leaders, The Cat Empire. And Dream Theater, who are still my favourite, despite not listening to them a whole deal anymore.
Last edited by 'Leviathan' at Dec 16, 2011,
Im only 15 so...
ten years ago: beatles, rolling stones, eric clapton, the doors, CCR
5 years ago: bon jovi, the eagles, pink floyd, nirvana, green day, ac/dc
now: still pink floyd and the beatles + a7x, three days grace, BFMV, NIN, dream theater, STP, foo fighters, lots of others

i have never liked lou reed
Last edited by Lagunaguitar at Dec 16, 2011,
5 Years ago that I loved -

Linkin Park
Three Days Grace
Breaking Benjamin
Seether
Trapt

Bands I like now -

Vehemence
The Peculiar Pretzelmen
King Crimson
The Gaslight Anthem
Demigod

Quite the difference.
4 years ago:
System of a down
As blood runs black
Godsmack
Green Day
Billy talent

Now:
Dream Theater
Symphony x
Megadeth
Skeletonwitch
Iced Earth
Back then it was Green Day, Three Days Grace, and Sum 41.

Now it's a mix of mostly thrash metal (mainly Megadeth) and a bunch of other stuff on the side, Protest the Hero, the Police, Led Zeppelin, a bit of dubstep (DatsiK) and even some underground rap like Cyne.
5 years:
Cartel
AFI
Lots of classic rock

Now:
The Replacements
Woods of Ypres
Nas
MF DOOM
Barrakuda McMurder
Alkaline Trio
you're a stone fox
Ten Years Ago (I was 7, I didn't really have a very wide taste):

Those were literally the only bands I listened to.

5 Years Ago (13):

Now (17, going on 18):

And a shitload more.
        Last edited by crazy8rgood at Dec 16, 2011,
        10 years ago:
        NYSYNC
        Backstreet Boys
        Britney Spears
        Aaron Carter

Now:
        Autopsy
        Exhumed
        Dissection
        Morbid Angel
        Incantation
        Goat*****
        Incantation

OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL
        BLACK METAL
        DOOM METAL
        BRUTAL DEATH METAL
        GRIND
        Ten years ago? I would have been 7 so I would have listened to... um... nursery rhymes and Green Day

Five years ago, I would have been 12 so... year 7. Radio rock like 30STM, Green Day (still), classic rock like Hendrix, the Who

Now: basically anything musical. Throw it at me.
        10-15 years ago
        Most pop on the radio and some of my dad's old 70's music and sister's boyband stuff.

7 -10 years
        Radio rock (Lifehouse etc) plus everything above.

Last few years of high school and year after
        Heavier rock basically (Avenged Sevenfold, Papa Roach, Disturbed etc), 70's, 80's rock (skid row, guns, boston, van halen etc.) plus everthing above.

Now
        Everything above plus stuff like Dream Theater, Alter Bridge, Jonny Lang, John Mayer, Joe Bonamassa etc also a lot of other blues, gypsy jazz, Irish folk (fiddle music usually), Classical (usually from the romantic period), and a little bit of flamenco.

I'm pretty much open to any music really...never been a huge hip hop fan but who knows maybe i'll like it in the future.I do listen to a lot of my older pop/sappy rock songs/angry music since i grew up on it, so i'm partial to my old music and i can't really out grow it. I don't listen to a lot of radio anymore...not because i'm trying to be a music elitist but because the only reason i listened to the radio back then was because my dad or mom or sister always had it on at home. I haven't been keeping up with a lot of newer stuff but my roommate sings and plays a lot radio hits (you know Katy Perry and other similar sounding stuff) on guitar so i do listen to some occasionally.
        Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
        Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
        10 yrs ago (age 11)
        -Uh, probably, like, Matchbox Twenty, Creed, other lame stuff

5 yrs ago (age 16)
        -The Clash, Dead Kennedys, Against Me!, Jawbreaker, Joy Division, Gang of Four

Now (age 21)
        -Lookout, last.fmpaste!:
        Fugazi, Sleater-Kinney, My Bloody Valentine, Wild Flag, Neutral Milk Hotel, Minutemen, Jawbreaker, Pixies, Mary Timony, Can, Sonic Youth, Neu!, Mission of Burma, Ramones, Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks, David Bowie, The Replacements, The Smiths, Wire, Misfits, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Earth, Nico, Deerhoof, The Breeders, Pavement, Television, Jets To Brazil, The Pop Group, Helium, Bob Dylan, Quasi, Brian Eno, Bikini Kill, The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Stooges, The Velvet Underground, Mike Watt, Rites of Spring, R.E.M., forgetters, Richard Hell and the Voidoids, Buzzcocks, Ludwig van Beethoven, Talking Heads, Radiohead, Patti Smith, Hüsker Dü, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
        5 years ago, mainly:

• Iron Maiden
        • Bad Religion
        • Reel Big Fish
        • Weird Al
        • Black Sabbath
        • Led Zeppelin
        • Dragonforce

Note: I was just starting to discover music.

Today:

• Hair metal as a whole
        • Jazz of all sorts (except perhaps free jazz)
        • Classical music
        • Blues, Country, Motown/RnB/Funk/Disco
        • A bigger Zeppelin fan (back then I only knew their more famous songs)
        • I still think Bad Religion, Dragonforce and Reel Big Fish are decent bands, but I don't listen to them at all anymore.
        • Pretty much anything with a decent amount of melody
        You are now using UG Black.
        You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Duke Ellington

I'm sick and tired of people calling America the stupidest country in the world. I personally think Europe is the stupidest country.
        10 years ago:
        some video game music I guess

Now:
        Pink Floyd
        Jane's Addiction
        Frankie Bones
        DJ Micro
        Dead Kennedys
        Black Flag
        A Tribe Called Quest
        Anthrax
        Some anime weaboo crap
        More video game music
        Portishead
        Electric Skychurch

There's more but it's not necessary to post everything
        10 years ago...
        Arrowsmith... i was 11....and it was my first cd.

now..
        Hundredth
        Counterparts
        volumes
        stick to your guns
        Memphis may fire
        Quote by KTFM
        Dammit, Snorlax! This is why we can't have nice things!!

Quote by Xiaoxi
        AWWWWWWWWW FUCK NAW!!!!!!!

ಠ_ಠ
        10 years ago - didn't really listen to music, but probably Limp Bizkit, soad, rhcp, eminem, whatever crap was on the radio.

5 years ago - the white stripes, my chemical romance, LOTS of led zeppelin, the beatles, rhcp, john frusciante, pink floyd, most classic rock.

Now - willie nelson, Ella Fitzgerald, wayne shorter, duke ellington, django reinhardt, john coltrane, charlie parker, lots more jazz.

I'm still waiting for the good bands I liked a few years ago to come out with new albums that don't suck. I'm looking at you, John Frusciante. Hurry the **** up.
        10 years ago (9 years old, no care in the world):
        Backstreet Boys
        Ricky Martin
        Aaron Carter
        Any alternative song that was on the radio alot at the time.

5 years ago (lonely 8th grader trying to get friends):
        Hannah Montana
        Jonas Brothers (actually saw them when they played at my high school for free.. went to meet chicks )
        Linkin Park
        Green Day
        Muse

Last 5 years (freshman in high school that finally grew a pair, stopped caring what people think of me):
        Metallica
        Judas Priest
        Iron Maiden
        Ozzy
        Rainbow
        Anthrax
        Deep Purple
        Lynyrd Skynyrd
        Diamond Head
        Megadeth
        Saxon
        Motorhead
        Scorpions (pre-79)
        Joe Satriani

Wow, what a change, huh?
        ESP LTD m400
        Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
        Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
        ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
        Last edited by MidniteHaze at Dec 17, 2011,
        Ts your taste in music has steadily declined over the years
        [img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
        10 years ago (from what I can remember):
        Stevie Wonder
        Tracy Chapman (my mom always tells me how when I was really little, like 4 or 5, how I wanted hair exactly like hers and told her it was my life goal. That was when I first got long hair lol)
        I thought the Jackson 5 were the bees knees
        I remember listening to hip hop with my bro, especially Mos Def
        Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, all the stock good classic rock stuff
        Red Hot Chili Peppers, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Rainbow Butt Monkeys, I Mother Earth, etc. There were lots of really cool 90s bands coming out of southern Ontario and my bro was pretty into that music, so I got it thrust upon me and I wasn't complaining.
        Jimi Hendrix! I literally would spend entire days in my bros room which was downstairs so I could listen to his stuff over and over and mess around on his strat to him. I thought I was better than Hendrix (probably was I was a total boss). I don't remember how old I was, but I was pretty little. 4?
        I thought Miles Davis was the man and he exuded cool!

That's about all I can remember. God damn I was a cool 9 year old.
        Quote by MidniteHaze

Wow, what a change, huh?

Not really, no.
        you're a stone fox
        10 years ago: Led Zeppelin best of, Radiohead's The Bends, classic rock radio, my parents music (The Beatles, etc.)

Now: Queens of the Stone Age, The Replacements, any jazz, Screaming Females, Screaming Trees, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, The Flaming Lips, Phish, Coheed & Cambria, Curtis Mayfield, Snoop Dogg, 2Pac, Black Pyramid, The Giraffes, The Pixies, Fear Before, Sublime, Fall Of Troy, Aceyalone, The Mars Volta, Shellshag, Blackstar, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Isis, Beck, Steely Dan, Tera Melos, Marvin Gaye, The Cure, Desert Sessions, Frank Zappa, Common, B.B. King, Chuck Berry, The Kooks, Massive Attack, Blue Scholars, The Roots, 1.6 Band, The Allman Brothers Band, Queen, Bustah Rhymes, Devin Townsend Project, Opeth, Goes Cube, Jeff Buckley, Jesu, Kyuss, Priestess, Between The Buried And Me, Arctic Death, Cap'n Jazz, Rapid Cities, Dead Kennedys, most classical, Erik Satie, Frederic Chopin, Sonic Youth, Rage Against The Machine, Wilco, Dead Cats Dead Rats, Morcheeba, Portishead, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Booker T. & The MG's, Radiohead, Led Zeppelin...

There's a ton more I can't remember now. I'm just getting started; I have yet to hear all the music I wish to hear.
        My musical tastes are pretty much the same compared to ten years ago. But then again, I'm a lot older than most of the users here.

There's stuff that took me a long time to get into. Jimi Hendrix was one and the Allman Brothers was another. I actually started to understand Jimi when I saw a concert film of his (Jimi Live in Berkeley) when I was in college. The Allman Brothers I kinda lumped in with all the other Southern Rock bands in my mind and I just couldn't be bothered with that genre at the time. It was only after hearing and seeing ZZ Top and the Dixie Dregs in the 1970's that I discovered that I screwed up bigtime (and the Dregs weren't even your usual southern rock band) and needed to reconsider. I feel like such a chump for not getting in on either of those bands when they first came out.
        10 years ago.

- Pop bullshit like NSYNC

5 years ago

-Green Day
        -Sum 41
        -Linkin Park
        -System of a Down
        - Various classic rock

Now

-Protest the Hero
        -BTBAM
        -Mastodon
        -A7X
        -Muse
        -Rise Against
        -Fall of Troy
        -More Green Day

I still listen to most of the stuff I listened to 5 years ago though.
        ___

Quote by The_Blode
        she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
        Last edited by WCPhils at Dec 17, 2011,
        10 years ago... 2001...

5 years ago...
        Evanescence, The Academy Is, Jimmy Eat World, Green Day, Linkin Park, Taking Back Sunday

Now..
        Protest the Hero, Portugal. the Man, Thrice, Sigur Ros, Bjork, Amy Winehouse, etc.
        Quote by ChucklesMginty
        If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
        Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
        Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
        10 years: Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Allman Brothers, Bob James
        5 years: Muse, Queens of the Stone Age, Radiohead, At the Drive in
        Now: Algernon Cadwallader, Real Estate, Elliott Smith, TV on the Radio

I was a rad 10 year old.
        10 years ago: linkin park xD

5 years ago: radiohead, dir en grey, the pillows, slipknot, rise against, the unicorns

today: the joy formidable, russian circles, mogwai, dinosaur jr., the fall of troy, massive attack, pixies
        Last edited by btones at Dec 17, 2011,
        Page 1 of 3