I was able to pick up a used 30W Vypyr for $120, but now I'm wondering if that is what I really want. I'm going to be taking this to my college dorm/on-campus apartment once break ends, and I'm worried if it'll be really annoying to lug around or too loud for that setting. I'm probably gonna be playing almost exclusively alone, so I thought maybe a micro cube or something might be better.

But maybe this 30W will be ok. I figure at the lowest volume it's probably fine. My only concern really is the inconvenience and space it takes up in the apartment and in the car when I come back home for summer. Otherwise I really would like the extra room for volume if I ever wanna jam, and better tone from the 30W and 12" speaker.

Does anyone else live in a similar situation and still use a kind of big amp?
I live in a college, use a 65 valve head, a 2x12 cab and have a rather large pedalboard. Why? Because I can

Seriously though dude, a Vypyr 30 would be an excellent amp for college if it's just going to be for quiet practicing. They're great little amps.
Vyper Tube 60's aren't that big. Buy one. They certainly sound better. You're bound to find other musos to jam with at college and if you have a Vyper 60 you will keep up with anybody.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Vyper Tube 60's aren't that big. Buy one. They certainly sound better. You're bound to find other musos to jam with at college and if you have a Vyper 60 you will keep up with anybody.

+1
Exactly what I did.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
The Vypyr 30 is a great amp. Looking into getting one myself after reading a lot about them. When I lived on campus I found myself dealing with the same issue. I got lucky as everyone around me loved music and was really into what I was doing.
i had vypyr 30 and didnt like it . end up selling it , i know they have wave review here .. but i just didnt care for it .

for a dorm /college i believe headphone would be the best solution not to be disturb or disturb your neighbors .

i would get a POD if i were you and play with headphone . should do the job without disturbing anyone .

the vypyr 30 is very loud . as i bedroom player i never got mine past 1 ( not 1 oclock ) 1 cause its very loud .

Not sure its the best in a dorm /college .

get a multi effect something with headphone . somthing cheap enough that you wont cry if its stolen .

the vypyr heapdhone output is just crappy ( as most headphone output out of modeler ) .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Dec 16, 2011,
i like my digitechrp355. there is a headphone out, and also a USB out so you could record. not your best option sound quality wise but it works and is fun to use
We don't do the dormitory thing over here. Student residences on-campus are just blocks of flats with common kitchens. Most students just rent houses. The whole dormitory thing sounds atrocious to me. I don't think I'd cope.
Rent a house with a couple of friends instead and get whatever the hell amp you actually want.

Dare I say it?
What you need is a new home.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Vypyrs are great, I have a 75w one and I love it. I think that the 30w should be small enough to store in your apartment and quite enough to play without disturbing anyone. Plus it has the headphone jack. You should also look into the 60w tube Vypyr like a few others have suggested. I haven't gotten the chance to play a tube Vypyr yet, but based on what I've heard and how my tubeless Vypyr sounds, I'd say that they're one hell of an amp.
Yeah I think I'll just stick with this 30W then. $120 is a pretty good deal, I don't really see it getting much lower than that. I'll just make it work when I move again, and in the long term I'd feel better with the extra power over a tiny portable amp.

And I probably will be living off campus next year so it won't be as much of an issue at that point.
Quote by Lagunaguitar
i like my digitechrp355. there is a headphone out, and also a USB out so you could record. not your best option sound quality wise but it works and is fun to use

Last time I was in a dorm situation I had a shitty Marshall MS-2 piece of shit. Yeah, I could plug headphones into it, but usually I just played unplugged. The walls were so thin I think they could hear the strings a couple of rooms down, so I never used the 1 watt speaker in the room. Probably bugged the hell out of everyone since I was teaching myself how to play and sucked a lot worse than I do now. It really held me back though, not really being able to hear myself. Lucky it was just an 8 month trip.

Since then I got a bunch more gear and now I do most of my practice on an RP355 and a VOX DA5.

The RP would give you more on-the fly control than the POD. A POD HD might have better tones/effects. And you can plug in an FV Pedal that will give you better control than the RP. But that will cost more, too.

Just personal taste, but I prefer my RP + DA5 rig for bedroom use over any Peavey I've played. If I need to get loud or when tone really matters I use the GNX4 with a Marshall half-stack.

You might also want to consider getting Ableton live, some VSTs, and iterface, and a pedal like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/keith-mcmillen-instruments-softstep-usb-and-midi-foot-controller

And then just play through the computer, if you have good enough speakers. Might be a pain to haul around to jam with, though.

I'd stay away from any Cubes. Roland pianos, drums, and jazz amps are great, but not impressed with any other guitar amps they make--not enough bottom end for the size. And none of their amplification gear is worth the money in my book.

IMO VOX is the way to go for small and/or inexpensive amps, even though I don't like their built-in FX (how you control them).
Well if you are going to be moving off campus next year anyway just get a Pod for now and use headphones. Then when you move you can get a decent amp and the Pod can become your effects unit.

Simple.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
We don't do the dormitory thing over here. Student residences on-campus are just blocks of flats with common kitchens. Most students just rent houses. The whole dormitory thing sounds atrocious to me. I don't think I'd cope.
Rent a house with a couple of friends instead and get whatever the hell amp you actually want.

Dare I say it?
What you need is a new home.

By the standards here (America), your rent costs are also absurd. I know, because I lived in Melbourne for 2 months, paying just over 1200 a month for a small apartment (add that the exchange rate for american vs. aussie dollars also put me at a slight loss on top of this). I suppose that might be offset somewhat by the fact that your minimum wage is way higher than ours, though.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Dec 17, 2011,
+1 to the rp355. It has some nice tones if dialed in correctly.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by Brainpolice2
By the standards here (America), your rent costs are also absurd. I know, because I lived in Melbourne for 2 months, paying just over 1200 a month for a small apartment (add that the exchange rate for american vs. aussie dollars also put me at a slight loss on top of this). I suppose that might be offset somewhat by the fact that your minimum wage is way higher than ours, though.

We do get paid a hell of a lot more. Even our student allowances from the government are higher than your minimum wage. When I was at Uni most of us rented old run down houses that were going cheap and we'd jam as many people into them as we could fit comfortably to spread the cost out.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification