any thoughts on this, was thinking of getting this to replace my vypyr 15. I play mostly metal and rock. thanks.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
id like to keep the budget around $300 for a tube practice amp, my first tube amp. And I'll prolly grab a tube screamer for a boost.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
No. Ok for noodling around with for blues and rock in your bedroom but totally wrong for metal. They're a toy.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
No. Ok for noodling around with for blues and rock in your bedroom but totally wrong for metal. They're a toy.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

Sorry.

My fav guitarists are jack white, dave mustaine, jimi hendrix, kirk hammett, james hetfield, kerry king, rob flynn, phil demmel, dimebag darrell...just to name a few.

My budget is 300, I would be willing to stretch to 350.

I live in the midwest united states.

I just need a practice amp, I will have some extra money soon and I wanted some new gear. So I figured id get a better sounding amp, I figure for 3 times the price of the one I have now I can get something decent for jamming out my fav bands and stuff. This is purely a hobby for me. Someday id hope to play live in the future, But I need to get alot better before that happens.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Blackstar is AWESOME for the value. I use a blackstar HT5R with a 2x12 blackstar cabinet and my pedal board.... it's seriously the best sound amp with great EQ response and great gain at low volumes. Definitely worth the money.
Oh, and if people like Guthrie Govan and Jamie Humphries use Blackstar they're definitely not toys.
awesome to hear, i am really considering this at least for when im in the blues/rock mood.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I've heard nothing but good reviews on Blackstar. I even bought a Blackstar 4x8 cab for my Blackheart Handsome Devil head.

The 4x8 is made for the HT-1.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by AcousticMirror
which tours and what albums did Govan use a blackstar on.

?
+1, didn't know about such a thing....... o.O!

EDIT: BTW i'm into this too, i'm thinking of moving onto tubes, tired of SS...
ESP LTD MH-100QM STB with Suhr SSV-N & SSH-B
Phil Pro MS-20
Vox V845 Classic Wah
Fender Mustang IV V.2
Fender Mustang I
Last edited by ADOLF1612 at Dec 17, 2011,
sweet, I saw rob flynn from machine playing one of these in a lesson video for locust, so Im confused how these cant be used for metal?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by ADOLF1612
?
+1, didn't know about such a thing....... o.O!

EDIT: BTW i'm into this too, i'm thinking of moving onto tubes, tired of SS...

AM's point was that Govan has never used Blackstar for anything other than maybe Licklibrary lessons. He used Cornford for Erotic Cakes and Fellowship, and suhr for the aristocrats.
Quote by rokket2005
AM's point was that Govan has never used Blackstar for anything other than maybe Licklibrary lessons. He used Cornford for Erotic Cakes and Fellowship, and suhr for the aristocrats.

i know that, i was just being sarcastic over there xD, if he ever used a blackstar maybe it was only at some workshop or something, i've never really seen him using one...

WELL... On Topic Again (and trying to help the OP as far as i can) AFAIK the ht-1 is good for practice and the like, but it's really hard to see it usable at a band situation (at least that you have a reeeeaaallly quiet drummer, right?) but for the rest i know it's a really good sounding amp, and i've heard that it's got enough gain on tap for early metal tones (NWOBHM comes to mind), but with a boost and an eq pedal onfront it would be \m/ .

Or, if you say you could spend up to 350$, maybe look at a Jet City JCA20H halfstack? that's a head and cab for 350$ exactly, it's louder than the ht-1 and tonewise sounds quite the same, but you got the onboard eq, etc. Later on the run you could get something like a tubescreamer and you're set! (that's the amp i'm looking at buying too xD)
Phil Pro MS-20
Vox V845 Classic Wah
Fender Mustang IV V.2
Fender Mustang I
If I go with the blackstar I can also get a tube screamer which would be awesome. Its just for practice really man. I like the reviews I've watched. i listen to so much different stuff Im sure i will enjoy the **** out of this.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Fair enough, seems like you're very sure about the tone you're after, that's good .

BTW Please do a NAD when you get it, and upload some clips, it would help people around here on deciding for that amp
Phil Pro MS-20
Vox V845 Classic Wah
Fender Mustang IV V.2
Fender Mustang I
ohh no doubt, should be around late jan/early feb when I get my tax return.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by AcousticMirror
which tours and what albums did Govan use a blackstar on.

Also, Jamie Humphries has a rubbish live sound, whether it be through his MK50H or his Blackstar rig. Seen him several times depping for Mike Casswell's band. Now he has a great live tone.

Edit: I have a Blackstar HT1, and it's great for playing at home. Not in the same league as a quality valve amp turned up though. This is no Cornford Harlequin.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Last edited by jimbob78 at Dec 18, 2011,