Im looking to buy a new amp. I already have a 100 watt Hughes and Kettner trilogy, but its simply too big for the volumes I'm playing at. I don't think ima sell it (yet), so Ive decided to pick up one of those new mini stacks that everyone is talking about. I could also go for small (1X12 max) combo's, but am trying to stick to the heads. I don't play gigs, but the option to be able to be heard over a drummer would be great.

I need plenty of gain, preferably without being boosted, so I can go from clean, right to face melting wall of sound . Clean isn't as important, but i do like a really clean sounding clean. Probably going to find something new, but I'm not picky if it sounds good, And I can find it... I'm looking to spend no more than ~600, I'll use my current cab though.

I have it just about narrowed down to either the Backstair ht-5(r) or the Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister. Not looking at Kranks, Just seem a little...cheesy to me lol.

Blackstar pros: -Cheap
-Sounded good
-Wont have to ship

Kettner pros: -(Apparently) Great tone
-Great looks
-Superior clean

Main question here is which of these heads is going to give me more gain, and sound better doing it. I havnt played the HK, but I liked the Blackstar when I played it. Is there anything I should watch out foe with these amps? If I was to buy one right now, id chose the Blackstar, being cheaper and still sounding good, but I don't want to limit myself.

Thanks, Matt
nature always sides with the hidden flaw
I have a Tubemeister. The cleans are pretty nice, but the lead channel doesn't have a whole lot of gain. It has a fair amount, but not really the br00tz , if that's the kind of tone you're looking for. There is a boost, but to be honest, I don't care for it much, or use it that often. The lead channel by itself gives me enough gain for what I play. While I'm happy with my Tubemeister, if I was buying something with high gain in mind without wanting to use a boost of some sort, I wouldn't go for the Tubemeister.
Last edited by griffin888 at Dec 17, 2011,
Good stuff man, thanks. wouldn't say I need the br00tz, but the more gain the better. I just like it think and saturated and to sound... "right" lol, I dunno
I'd probably check out a Mini Rec. More than what you said you wanna spend, but it sounds like it'll give you what you're looking for.
maybe in your budget, but not sure.

i love my orange dual terror. 30/15/7 watts switchable. i play at night (midnight until usually four) with 15watts and it sounds great.

you may not get a whole lot of headroom, there really isn't a clean channel, but more of a low gain, and higher gain. its got enough gain to do most modern metal boosted with no problem. i dont boost mine and i get plenty of gain.

or you could look for an Enganter Tweaker. i think they have some new ones out. i had one for a while, but it was the older version.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'd like to ask a few questions.

Would ever be gigging with both? You mentioned playing with a drummer maybe?

You said the Trilogy is to big for the volume you play at - can you elaborate?

You are keeping the Trilogy right? No matter what?

What Genre do you play mostly? Cleans and face melting wall of sound is not a genre. For example, Sleep has face melting walls of sound but so does Killswitch Engage. Different tones.

Why do you want a 'Mini Head'

Nice cleans and face melting walls of sound will be hard imo for 600. I'd say save up for the Mesa Mini Rec or EVH 5153 mini. I wouldn't buy the HT-1 but that is just me.
I do not have any plans to gig, but just having to option to be heard over a drummer would almost be necessary, but I don't do it now. I play guitar as a hobby right now. I suppose I play mostly thrash metal, and Im usually tuned in E standard, but sometimes go to drop D and even have a guitar tuned to dropped C. my favourite tone is from Jon Shafter, from the band Iced Earth. Its tight and powerful.

The Trilogy has never had the perfect tone for me, I've usually used a multi effects pedal for distortion. I love the clean on it, and I boost the ultra, I can get a tone I like. plus the looks is probably the reason I'm keeping it. If I can get something all around better, Ill probably sell it.
The volume is too much because I play in my parents, basement cuz I'm cool like that, and can't get too good of a tone out of it being played at master volume at 2 and the channel volumes at like half lol. Just want something smaller and will sound better.
well the blackstar's already being boosted

h&k might be too (i still suspect shenanigans, but i'd need to see a schematic)

i agree with 311.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Krank Rev Jr. Pro > Both those amps by a mile IMO
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Im looking at this "snot watt" right now and am seriously considering it. Not making it easier for me HAHA
I'd totally get a snott watt

there is a 30w version coming out

PM kylendm

or look for his Baron threads on page 2 or whatever.

I'm just saying don't keep an map because it looks nice. That is a poor excuse, even if you were gigging. If the amp just isn't doing it for you then move on. I'd recommend a Splawn

PS: Never played a Krank Rev but I also trust MCs advice
The sound it there, Seems like what I'm looking for. I think this is what ima get. Thanks guys
PMed
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Well the only reason I brought it up is because Dave said I could also get a 30w Snott when I first ordered mine for about $900 I think he said. Uses 6V6 tubes as far as I know but that's all the info I got for you.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X