At some point next year, I'm looking at retubing my 6505+ combo's preamp.

Now, I have no idea what makes a 'good' preamp tube. But, at this point I'm thinking a JAN Phillips 5751 in V1 to improve the cleans a bit... beyond that I don't know. JJ? Tung Sol? Svetlana/=C=?

I'm up for spending up to about $80, and there are 5 preamp tubes including the PI.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
5150's tend to like JJ's, you can mix and match a bit if you want to, .

from my experience with JJ's is that they tend to be a little darker sounding, which pairs to the 5150's nicely, and have extraordinary long life.

as far as the 5150 goes however, i would either do or get a tech to do a bias pot mod. peavey biases cold, with the bias pot mod, you could get them running a little bit hotter and get a much better tone out of it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
5150's tend to like JJ's, you can mix and match a bit if you want to, .

from my experience with JJ's is that they tend to be a little darker sounding, which pairs to the 5150's nicely, and have extraordinary long life.

as far as the 5150 goes however, i would either do or get a tech to do a bias pot mod. peavey biases cold, with the bias pot mod, you could get them running a little bit hotter and get a much better tone out of it.

So you suggest I spend the money for the bias mod after preamp tubes? I could ask my local amp tech how much he says it would be...
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
So you suggest I spend the money for the bias mod after preamp tubes? I could ask my local amp tech how much he says it would be...

tubes first.

if you have a little extra cash (and plan on keeping this amp for a while) at some point the bias mod makes it a lot better sounding. bias is basically the 'temperature' the tubes are running at, heat them up a little bit more and it shines.

i dont know how much it would cost to get it done, may not be cheap but should cost a whole lot. any tech should be able to do it.

lastly, again don't do the bias mod if you aren't going to be holding on to it for a while.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
So does anyone else want to chime in? I'm trying to figure this out before I do anything else.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by Sputnik1
FYI biasing is for Power Amp tubes not pre amp tubes.

I know. It doesn't really apply to any of the tubes in a 6505 (except for the 6505+ head) because the bias isn't adjustable for the power tubes unless you mod the amp.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
I know. It doesn't really apply to any of the tubes in a 6505 (except for the 6505+ head) because the bias isn't adjustable for the power tubes unless you mod the amp.

it is if you mod it. i stated it was a mod. quite easy to do if you are carefull and know what you are doing.

also i should have specified power tubes in the first post.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
it is if you mod it. i stated it was a mod. quite easy to do if you are carefull and know what you are doing.

also i should have specified power tubes in the first post.

Maybe I'll do that at some point, but at the moment I don't entirely trust myself.

Also, tubes or speaker first? I've still got the stock POS Sheffield in there, thinking about a V30 or a K100.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I don't know if this helps but I'm going to swap one of my preamp tubes for a JJ 12AX7 today - I'll let you know if it changes the tone. (It was recommended to me to change the V3 tube to a higher quality one; should improve the tone when the effects loop is used.)

As for speakers vs. tube upgrades, I think a speaker upgrade will probably yield the biggest change in tone. I've got the same amp and plan on keeping it for awhile. My next upgrade will probably be a speaker and then probably change all the tube to JJs.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
At this point I'm thinking a combo of Tung Sols and JJ's for the preamp.

Though I am curious as to what Svetlana/SED =C= 12ax7's sound like.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
Maybe I'll do that at some point, but at the moment I don't entirely trust myself.

Also, tubes or speaker first? I've still got the stock POS Sheffield in there, thinking about a V30 or a K100.

i generally dont replace preamp tubes until they get too microphonic, however if the tubes in there are crap (i had ruby in the peaveys i have had stock), changing the tubes will be a big difference.

speaker makes a pretty big difference, i really like K100's. V30's are more or less the standard. sheffields are terrible IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!