My fav guitarists are jack white, dave mustaine, jimi hendrix, kirk hammett, james hetfield, kerry king, rob flynn, phil demmel, dimebag darrell...just to name a few.

My budget is 300, I would be willing to stretch to 350.

I live in the midwest united states.

I just need a practice amp, I will have some extra money soon and I wanted some new gear. So I figured id get a better sounding amp, I figure for 3 times the price of the one I have now I can get something decent for jamming out my fav bands and stuff. This is purely a hobby for me. Someday id hope to play live in the future, But I need to get alot better before that happens.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
As far as anything decent for heavy music brand new you're looking at the Marshall Class 5 (I've seen it as low as $329, but that was a sale price, not a regular street price, which is $399) or maybe something from Jet City. Otherwise, you're talking some pretty ropey equipment (the Vox Valve Reactor series, for example---real good cleans, but very very limited in its crunch and distortion capabilities). So your best bet might be checking the used market.
Vypyr 30+sanpera, /thread
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Vypyr 30+sanpera, /thread

hmm, thats an idea. but how much better does it sound than the 15?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
A lot. The 15 sounds pretty awful compared to the 30 and up, especially to the tube ones (which are out of your price range but are quite awesome).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
ill have to check that out, the 15 is pretty bad, im just hoping to get something that sound sbetter to make practicing more enjoyable, plus new gear day is always alot of fun!
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
american music supply actually gives the sanpera free with 75 watt and up. too bad it expires the 31st.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Go to AMS. Check out the Crate Flexwaves. I believe you can get a 65 watt combo for around $265.00 or so. They have built in DSP effects and a tuner and come with a 3 way Footswitch. I use Crate and they're not as bad as the tone snobs make them out to be, trust me. They have IMO, the best Distortion ever heard on any Solid State Combo and they're a helluva lot better than Peavey's overrated Vypers.
thanks jeff, Ill check into them.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
do they take pedals very well?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Don't bother with another Vypyr. For $300, http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-MARSHALL-JCM-2000-DSL-201-COMBO-106272752-i1760917.gc?&source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=750044469

That will do exactly what you want. Based on your first post you are wanting classic EL34 thrash metal tone, and it has the gain for modern metal should you ever want to play that.

thanks, ill check into it.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A