Has anyone here worked at Guitar Center or Sam Ash before? I'm thinking about applying and want to know more about it. What is the pay like? Do you work of or commission? Is it fun?
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Has anyone here worked at Guitar Center or Sam Ash before? I'm thinking about applying and want to know more about it. What is the pay like? Do you work of or commission? Is it fun?

heavily commission based. i heard about one guy went through orientation with GC, and decided he didn't want the job. IIRC they are required to put up ridiculous sales figures, it looks bad if anything gets returned, they get looked again poorly for one item sales. he decided not to do it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
heavily commission based. i heard about one guy went through orientation with GC, and decided he didn't want the job. IIRC they are required to put up ridiculous sales figures, it looks bad if anything gets returned, they get looked again poorly for one item sales. he decided not to do it.

hmmm. I guess that's why the employees always seem like pushy douches. Can't blame them. Although I think I could be pretty persuasive...
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
hmmm. I guess that's why the employees always seem like pushy douches. Can't blame them. Although I think I could be pretty persuasive...

i would be terrible because i wouldn't want to sell shit to people. i would have such a hard time watching a person waking out with an MG or a spider or a bc rich cheap pos bc rich (i mean cheap one, not a higher end one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would be terrible because i wouldn't want to sell shit to people. i would have such a hard time watching a person waking out with an MG or a spider or a bc rich cheap pos bc rich (i mean cheap one, not a higher end one.

We all got to start somewhere man.

There's no harm in applying, even if it is commission-based its a more tolerable job then most out there right now. Decent music, co-workers are usually chill dudes (maybe even chicks eh? eh? ), and best part most of the people entering the place don't have the personality of a twig.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

I would have no problem selling a Spider to someone as a practice amp. I would recommend them whether I work off commission or not. MGs and chap BC Riches are a different story But I don't think you're required to sell alot of BC Riches. Like Malice said... it obviously won't be just chillin and playing giutar al day but I think it would be a lot better than sticking your head down peoples' chimneys for a living
I hate my sig
i worked for SA for about a year.

it's 100% commission really. they give you base pay but you have to earn that back in commission before you make anything over that.

if you don't cover your base pay for a few weeks you get let go sooner than later.

the more you discount something, the less you make on it. so you are basically cutting your nuts off when you start dropping the price.

they have really pulled back the reins on giving discounts, probably due to the tough sales climate and trying to remain afloat.

every piece of gear pays a different amount, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. so you figure out what pays and is decent gear and try to move that stuff.

the people (at the store i worked at) are/were awesome. sure there were a couple asses but i've made some great friends there that i still talk to regularly. it's also a great place to network for people to jam with. impromptu jams in on the sales floor or in the acoustic room are a ton of fun, both with coworkers and customers.

in this economic climate it's tough to make "great" money doing it. i mean, forget buying a house and settling down in a nice suburb with a BMW in the driveway. not gonna happen bro.

but if you live at home with mom and dad, know gear and have some common sense about what to sell you can have a great time and make a few bucks.

the mfg discounts are great and occasionally you can buy great used gear at prices that would make MatrixClaw and Ippon jelly. i've flipped some gear that i got cheap for more than i've made at SA in a month. THAT was cool.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
greg will correct me if i'm wrong here, but they may have already flooded the stores with christmas help employees. all vying for the perm spots.

i would guess the best time to apply would have been about a month ago.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^ that's probably true. especially of GC where they don't seem afraid to burn through people to find the few good ones.

conversely though, my sam ash is always looking for good people that know gear and aren't afraid to talk to customers.
yeah, I mean I can see where it might be
fun and challenging at first.
but I would probably get frustrated with
the system after a while.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
yeah, I mean I can see where it might be
fun and challenging at first.
but I would probably get frustrated with
the system after a while.

agreed 100%. that's exactly what happened to me.

it'd be a fun job to do after you win the lottery. but so would selling bait and sunglasses on the beach in miami.

all things considered, a beachside bait and guitar/amp store is on my short list of things to do after i win the lottery.

i mean you have to do something before the sunset acoustic gig at the tiki hut right?
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 17, 2011,
omg heaven!!

hahah my friend is dying for us to
go out on a boat fishing
like she did when she was
a kid.
just never happened this summer.

but yeah, toss a little art studio
in the back of that hut and I'm so there
with you. hahah
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

john's pass in madiera beach here we come.

they had this art shop on the boardwalk with paintings of all the classic rock artists. down by the pier there was a tiki hut bar type deal with 2 people on stools playing acoustics.

between the pelicans, dolphins and jet ski rentals i'm sure we could find our places.

heaven, party of two?

i promise i'll stock the crock pot every morning for lunch specials.

wait. what the hell is this thread about?
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 17, 2011,
HAHA! perfect!

oh wait, umm, yeah GC it's a great place to work....

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I work for a the guitar shop in Best Buy between school. Non-commission. I have a lot of fun with it, actually. No pressure on individuals, so everyone really helps each other out.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I love how off topic this thread got. But yeah, greg... not quite living with mommy and dady anymore but I have no desire to buy a BMW and become a homeowner any time soon. GC can't be any worse than my current job... and it's MUCH closer. And I take it finding a local non-commision based music store would be even better
I hate my sig
I worked in a local music store once.

I couldn't take it. The only things I felt for the three weeks I worked there werr stress and pressure.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite