Im looking at a 1980 Gibson "The SG" guitar refinished in metallic blue on ebay. I like SG's and dig wild colors like that, but the guy says he has put "generic" pickups in it. This isnt entirely a problem because I do have some spares lying around and I wouldnt mind eventually investing in A burstbucker or something along those lines. I wouldnt pay more than 400 for it, do you think i should go for it? it looks good and seems unlikely that besides the pickups it wouldnt be of quality. ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks a million!
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Ask him exactly what pickups he put in it, I wouldn't buy it without that information.
West Ham United
This is a 1980 Gibson "The SG" guitar, which has been refinished in a beautiful metallic blue. It has Grover tuners with metal keystone buttons, a brass nut, and an ebony fingerboard with dot inlays. The pickups have been replaced with generic humbuckers, and the side-mounted output jack had been moved to the front and the hole plugged before it was refinished, and the controls changed to two volume and one master tone control. Includes hardshell case

thats the little blurb in the add. I somehow missed the part about the jack being moved and such. Im going to send them a message now, hopefully they will get it now
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Eek. I wouldn't. It's been modified to high hell and back.

$400 is the regular price for a used SG anyway.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
As far as I know Gibson SG's have never had a side input jack. It has always been on the front of the guitar. It is probaby a fake if thats the case. If someone else can help out that'd be great.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The actual model on these is called "The SG" they also had "The Paul"

Bassically they were the Studio models before they called them Studios. late 70s early 80s. Originally it would have had just a plain wood finish.

The output jack would be on the side originally.

I came across a used THE PAUL about 25 years ago and they wanted $500.00 cdn. back then. Brand new I think they were about $800.00cdn.
I wouldn't offer him more than $300.00 with all the mods that have been done to it.

PLAY BEFORE YOU PAY.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
yeah i dunno man he's done a lot of "custom" work to this thing and now he's looking for an exit plan...you've gotta ask yourself why
Quote by mike_oxbig
yeah i dunno man he's done a lot of "custom" work to this thing and now he's looking for an exit plan...you've gotta ask yourself why

Best post in this thread. You also have to ask why he's selling a Gibson for $400!

Chances are, something is seriously wrong with the guitar.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz
You also have to ask why he's selling a Gibson for $400!

Chances are, something is seriously wrong with the guitar.

New, they were probably the cheapest actual Gibson on the market around $800 retail. It is now 31 years old, and modified.

How much would you expect to pay for it?.

If you don't know what you are talking about in a post, you should probably refrain from commenting.
Last edited by GOLDIE93 at Dec 19, 2011,
Quote by GOLDIE93
New, they were probably the cheapest actual Gibson on the market around $800 retail. It is now 31 years old, and modified.

How much would you expect to pay for it?.

If you don't know what you are talking about in a post, you should probably refrain from commenting.

It really doesn't sound like you're familiar with the used market

people tend to think that any guitars that are 30+ years old, gibsons especially, are worth more than it had retailed for. so to see one that age for so little is a huge red flag.
Quote by mike_oxbig
It really doesn't sound like you're familiar with the used market

people tend to think that any guitars that are 30+ years old, gibsons especially, are worth more than it had retailed for. so to see one that age for so little is a huge red flag.

Actually I have been buying and selling guitars for quite a few years now.

If it was all original and mint condition, I could see your point.

But....Refinished
Generic P/us
Location of Jack changed
Controls changed from VVTT to VVT

There may be no asking price. It is from Ebay. So probably an auction.
T.S only stated that he would not pay more than $400.00 for it. He did not say that the guy was asking $400.00 for it.

This is where I have the problem. You guys are giving all this advice without actually reading the posts.
Like the guy who said that SG's never had the Jack on the side so it must be fake. That was clearly false as theses guitars did in fact, come from the factory that way. Regular SGs probably never had it on the side but this is a "THE SG" they are not the same.
no way. you will regret getting something that frankenbutchered.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.