I need a new amp. I need something big and bad, for all the punk, metal, and rock and roll I could every want to play. with lots of options and customization and effects and fun toys to play with. I just want a combo, something that I can get used for $200. I liked the Line 6 spider IV, the peavey vypyr, and the vox valvetronix. that's what I've narrowed it down to. which amp or brand is the best for me?
How big do you want this amp to be? I've owned both a line 6 spider, and a Vox Valvetronix.
NEVER EVER EVER GET THE LINE 6 SPYDER. its a pathetic excuse for an amp, especially for the price. for metal the peavey vypyr will be best and maybe also for punk but the vox valvetronix will handle rock better and handle punk very well too. make your priorities, metal or rock. try them both out if you can and see what you like better.
Quote by itamar100
NEVER EVER EVER GET THE LINE 6 SPYDER. its a pathetic excuse for an amp, especially for the price. for metal the peavey vypyr will be best and maybe also for punk but the vox valvetronix will handle rock better and handle punk very well too. make your priorities, metal or rock. try them both out if you can and see what you like better.

I really deserve a cookie or something, because I figured the next post would be this. Simply put, there is nothing wrong with the line 6 spider series. I have gotten excellent tones out of them, and I learned a lot about effects, amps, etc from using a Line 6 Spider IV. The only thing I do not like on the line 6 are the crunch options, but its rock and cleans are fine.

These amps get a lot of hate for what I believe to be bullshit reasons. I've owned both the VOX VT and a Line 6 Spider IV, they both do things well. I actually went back tried out a line 6 again after buying my Vox, and I missed some of the Line 6 features. I now own a Peavey 6505, but I can still say the Line 6 series is fine. I've recorded with one before and I wait to tell people I used a line 6, its just a name that has a stigma.
MODS! for the love of god can we put a comparison of modeling amps information as a sticky. i swear this is like the fifth one i have seen tonight.

not that i am not willing to help, as i have no problem doing so.

or search.

14 words says it all.

Spider: hell no
Peavey: wins on high gain
Vox: wins on mid gain/cleans
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Are you just going to be practicing? I generally prefer the Vypyr over the Spider, but both will do in a practice situation. I wouldn't mind a Spider IV purely for backroom jamming and practicing. Band rehearsal and playing onstage is another story...
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I'd prefer a toaster to a Spider.

What trashed said - Vyper for high gain, Vox for low to mid gain.
Spider to drop on Mormons from the balcony.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I'd prefer a toaster to a Spider.

What trashed said - Vyper for high gain, Vox for low to mid gain.
Spider to drop on Mormons from the balcony.

But then there goes my lightly browned toast with just the right amount of butter for breakfast. Hmmm...I shoulda had toast this morning...
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Can we listen?

No, you can't, because I did it purely for the purpose of proving that its just a name. I told some people I recorded it with my 6505 and they all thought it sounded dandy. I recorded a different riff and said I used my line 6 and everyone said the tone sucked. I recorded both with my line 6; its all in everyone's heads.
I'm looking for an amp that I'll also be able to perform with, if that changes anything. And what do you mean when you say peavey has better high gain but vox has better mid? is that a serious factor I should consider?
Quote by satinsoven
I'm looking for an amp that I'll also be able to perform with, if that changes anything. And what do you mean when you say peavey has better high gain but vox has better mid? is that a serious factor I should consider?

Gain meaning the amount of distortion, or how 'hot' the amp is. I had to boost my Vox to get some better distortion settings when I was playing hard rock/metal stuff. I boosted it with an old TS-7, but a new tubescreamer will work as well.

One reason I advocate the Line 6 models are because they provide a nice amount of gain. Trust me, they are fine amps. 99% of the people I've talked to who 'hate' line 6, have never owned one. Some bands are the first albums actually used line 6 gear and other digital equipment in lue of more traditional gear.

My whole point is I encourage you to try out all avenues and try not to be swayed by the elitism and bullshit this site offers. Don't be an individual who scoffs at gear because of a name (I'm not saying you do, just don't start now) While I have not played the Vyper series, I have listened to them and they sound great. Any three of the options are great.

You will get more natural gain from the Peavey and Line 6, but the Vox is more well rounded, IF you boost it to take care of the lower gain it provides. A sonic maximizer will make the cleans sound better as well.
Ok I appreciate all the advice everyone has been giving me so far. Now let me add some background information: I'm leaning towards the Vox only because

1. I know/knew two guitarists that had a vypyr or a spider, and I wanna be "unique".
2. I played all three amps at guitar center, and I liked what they all had to offer. However the employee, who was very helpful and polite, recommended a Vox over both of those, ranking the VYPYR second.

Understandably, those are rather silly reasons to start with. So I'm gonna add one more piece of information:
I have a Digitech multi effects pedal.

Anyway to wrap this up, let me ask a couple more questions. Which amp is the most durable, meaning which one lasts the longest and doesn't suffer from any kind of problems or malfunctioning?
Quote by Kenjisan231
No, you can't, because I did it purely for the purpose of proving that its just a name. ....its all in everyone's heads.

Right... that's why I want to hear it.

Quote by Kenjisan231
My whole point is I encourage you to try out all avenues and try not to be swayed by the elitism and bullshit this site offers.

This is one of the least elitist and bullshitty gear forums out there

Personally, I think most of us here shoot it pretty strait.

Quote by Kenjisan231
Don't be an individual who scoffs at gear because of a name (I'm not saying you do, just don't start now) While I have not played the Vyper series

Not sure what you are on about here, the regular Spider amps do not sound as good as the Vox or the Vypyr. The differences between the Valvetronix and Vypyr are clear. I prefer the Vypyr. Some prefer the Valvetronix. Some prefer the Spider.

Line 6 as a company actually gets quite a bit of praise around here. I rarely hear a negative thing about the Pods, Pod Farm, Toneport, UX1s, HDs, Flextones, Spider Valves, Vetta's, etc. If you hung out here more, you'd know that.

Quote by Kenjisan231

One reason I advocate the Line 6 models are because they provide a nice amount of gain. Trust me, they are fine amps. 99% of the people I've talked to who 'hate' line 6, have never owned one. Some bands are the first albums actually used line 6 gear and other digital equipment in lue of more traditional gear.

My whole point is I encourage you to try out all avenues and try not to be swayed by the elitism and bullshit this site offers. Don't be an individual who scoffs at gear because of a name (I'm not saying you do, just don't start now) While I have not played the Vyper series, I have listened to them and they sound great. Any three of the options are great.
Have you taken an advanced course in bullshit or does it come naturally to you?

People here don't rubbish Line 6 at all - just Line 6 Spiders. Spiders have a lot of "gain" but I'd hardly call it nice. If a pile of crap is bigger it doesn't make it smell any better.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Kenjisan231

i really done think there are too many elitists on here. go to TGP or even HC. if you dont like it here go somewhere else.

Quote by Kenjisan231
Gain meaning the amount of distortion, or how 'hot' the amp is. I had to boost my Vox to get some better distortion settings when I was playing hard rock/metal stuff. I boosted it with an old TS-7, but a new tubescreamer will work as well.

because they play them in the store and they sound like shit and don't buy one.

also its spiders that are terrible. some of their higher end stuff isn't terrible (although there are better options for that price).

Quote by Kenjisan231
No, you can't, because I did it purely for the purpose of proving that its just a name. I told some people I recorded it with my 6505 and they all thought it sounded dandy. I recorded a different riff and said I used my line 6 and everyone said the tone sucked. I recorded both with my line 6; its all in everyone's heads..

i call bullshit. or you just happen to know quite a few people that are tone-deaf.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by Kenjisan231
I'm not going to let you hear it because the entire point of me doing it was to prove a point. I figured if I went on name alone, it would bias people. I can't say that it was for everyone, maybe it was just for the group I tested, but for me, it proved a point.

When I say Line 6, I meant spider, and that's my fault for not being clearer. I was not talking about all of the Line 6 products. Don't make comments like 'if you hung out here more, you know would know that'. In fact, based on that comment, go **** yourself you condescending asshole.

I don't 'hang out here' because of all the bullshit that is slung. This site is filled with elitists, filled with people who are condescending, negative, arrogant, and all around assholes. I'm not saying everyone here is like that, I'm not saying you are that, but I am saying a lot of people are. A lot of people here are pricks, and thats their right, its your right, but I get to respond how I see fit.

Do I think you are an asshole? No, you seem like an alright guy, and your defense of these forums is respectable. Do I think your comments are dick? Yeah, I think they are insulting and bullshit, but that's it. I don't really think we can go much further on this issue though. You don't like the Spider line, and I don't think its bad, and there is no combination of words that will make either of us think differently. But like you defend these forums, I defend the Spider name, and I will keep doing it, but not here, as I've said all that I can say.

its your choice to "hang out here" if you don't like it GTFO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Man, if I tried hard enough I could make a JTM45 through a set of EV's sound crap. These "pick the amp used" sound samples are a trap and nobody with any brains will buy into them. The proof of the pudding is in the playing not in the hearing of sound samples.
You can make anything sound decent (or crap) in a studio, it's how it reacts to your playing when you're plugged into it that counts, not what somebody can coax out of it in a studio. i'm certain that I could make an Amplug sound good recorded in a studio.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 18, 2011,
id try and save more. i got the vypyr and im ready for something better.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Get the Vyper Tube 60. That's the real answer to this thread.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
for what? to play for the neighborhood? why on earth would he need 60 watts? lol.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
for what? to play for the neighborhood? why on earth would he need 60 watts? lol.

headroom. i really dont think (but am unsure) that a modeling amp is going to sound good with power tube distortion.

i have heard a lot of good things about the Vypyr tube, check some of 311's clips, he has some good ones up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by romeozdistress

They sound better when turned down too. With headroom, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. If he ever wants to go jamming with a drummer he can do that too. It's just better.
I play 60 and 100W amps all the time at home. The neighbours can hear me a block away even when I play my 18W'er but that don't stop me cranking up the big boys every now and then. I end up with a front yard full of kids.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
They sound better when turned down too. With headroom, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. If he ever wants to go jamming with a drummer he can do that too. It's just better.
I play 60 and 100W amps all the time at home. The neighbours can hear me a block away even when I play my 18W'er but that don't stop me cranking up the big boys every now and then. I end up with a front yard full of kids.

thats awesome, I was just joking around man.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress

one of the orange thunderverb models are 200 watts.
blackstar has a 200 watt amp.
mesa triple recs are 150 watts.

off the top of my head.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
^ +1

Quote by trashedlostfdup
headroom. i really dont think (but am unsure) that a modeling amp is going to sound good with power tube distortion.

i have heard a lot of good things about the Vypyr tube, check some of 311's clips, he has some good ones up.

Thanks man

I've never tried that actually. I guess I would select a clean model, turn the pregain way down and then crank the master on the Vypyr and see what happens. I can't explain why the Vypyr tube sounds better other than it 'has tubes'. The same could be said for the Spider Valve - or people running their AxeFx into power amps. It just adds body, hair, bottom end, richness, fullness, something sonic.