I want to record songs with guitars, bass, drums, and vocals, but when I record bass everything is too crazy. For example when I hold a note on the A string it is too powerful and I have a very cool bass riff where I am playing many different notes but you can't really distinguish the notes in the recording. I use a Line 6 Pod X3 and Reaper.

I recorded bass before when I was using audacity and I recorded the same way as I am now except I compressed it like crazy, and it ended up sounding okay. I found the compressor in Reaper but there are way more options and I couldn't get the same "okay" sound.

I would love to try to get a bass tone similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-SQGOYOjxs&ob=av2n
I found that cutting around 200-300 (eq) works well to clarify the bass (cuts the mud), also boosting 1k-2k, to taste will add some punch. On one song I'm working on I cut 4dbs at 200k and then boosted 1.5k to 6dbs (which is a huge boost, remember to eq to taste)! Experiment a little. Also experiment with compression. Make sure the "attack" on the compressor isin't to quick though, you can lose some punch.

Also, Joe Principe of Rise Against uses P Basses with a pick into a SVT (he used a Jazz bass with pick in older Rise Against). You wont get a sound close to him if your going fingerstyle with a Jazz Bass. Go with a pick if you aren't. Boost your treble to taste, then maybe boost your mids if you need more punch, then add a bit of drive to get that 'grit', not to much though. You might need to D.I your bass sound also (two signals, one into your "amp" then one clean, then mix to your liking, I think theres a way you can do this in podfarm).
Last edited by Duce180 at Dec 17, 2011,
Editing bass can be a pain. Usually, you have to go in and automate the volume on each note, even if you're compressing the living hell out of it. Waves makes a plugin called Bass Rider which is supposed to do this automatically for you, but I haven't tried it. I've heard some really good reviews on it, though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Also I almost forgot. In that song you can totally hear that Joe Principe is using brand new strings, I mean day of brand new. Go get new strings, a p bass with pick, some grit and your just about there.
Last edited by Duce180 at Dec 17, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Editing bass can be a pain. Usually, you have to go in and automate the volume on each note, even if you're compressing the living hell out of it. Waves makes a plugin called Bass Rider which is supposed to do this automatically for you, but I haven't tried it. I've heard some really good reviews on it, though.

Woah then I'm going to check out Bass Rider now! Thanks
Wait guys I have never used a third-party VST/plug-in before. How does this work? How do you guys find out about plug-in's and where do you download them? Do they usually cost money?
^From Waves, yes. Waves is pretty much the number one plugin company in the world. A lot of people don't agree on their business tactics, but it's hard to argue with the quality of their plugins. Dealing with them is pretty much a necessary evil if you plan on going further with your audio production.

There's plenty of free VST plugins out there, some RTAS and AU ones as well - Unfortunately, there are none that do what Vocal Rider, Bass Rider and Wave Rider do that I'm aware of. Usually I just hear about plugins from Googling for my specific needs, and usually you download/buy them from the developer's website, but it's also a good idea to check sites like AudioMIDI and even Musician's Friend for deals that might be going on. With Waves though, there's only a single instance I can think of where one of their plugins was sold for cheaper than on their website.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
^From Waves, yes. Waves is pretty much the number one plugin company in the world. A lot of people don't agree on their business tactics, but it's hard to argue with the quality of their plugins. Dealing with them is pretty much a necessary evil if you plan on going further with your audio production.

There's plenty of free VST plugins out there, some RTAS and AU ones as well - Unfortunately, there are none that do what Vocal Rider, Bass Rider and Wave Rider do that I'm aware of. Usually I just hear about plugins from Googling for my specific needs, and usually you download/buy them from the developer's website, but it's also a good idea to check sites like AudioMIDI and even Musician's Friend for deals that might be going on. With Waves though, there's only a single instance I can think of where one of their plugins was sold for cheaper than on their website.

What kind of business tactics do they use? And when searching for VST's should I simply type "VST, my bass track dynamics are out of control" (which takes the form VST, *insert problem*)

Earlier when I tried to check out Bass Rider it had me download their main program I think which was like Waves V8 and then during installation it asked what plug-ins I wanted and I checked some that sounded like something I would use. I didn't put any credit card information or anything. What happened there? Did it put demos or something? Also, are VST's worth the money? $100 seems overpriced for a piece of software.
^For one, they make you pay a ton of money when they come out with software updates. I had to pay $300 to upgrade from v5 of Gold and RenMaxx to v8. It was something I had to do though, since the plugins wouldn't work in Pro Tools 9 without the update

As far as searching goes, you could try that. I couldn't really tell you what to search for, you just need to learn to use Google more and familiarize yourself with terms relevant to your search.

You downloaded the full software, but you will not be able to use it without an iLok and a full or demo license on it. Most developers allow you to download their software directly off the site without problem, but you can't make use of it without some kind of license key being used with it (which is what the iLok stores).

$100 is pretty cheap, when you consider all the time it could potentially save you. Many engineers still prefer to do it manually, because it's more accurate. Good plugins come at a price. Fortunately, there's a lot of good free ones out there, unfortunately, there are none that I know of that serve the function you're looking for.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Tmusician
Wait guys I have never used a third-party VST/plug-in before. How does this work? How do you guys find out about plug-in's and where do you download them? Do they usually cost money?

what a waste of time!
Quote by Fat g0r0T
what a waste of time!

What do you mean? The other guy answered it pretty quickly and well.

Also for these plug-ins from Wave do I need to have this iLok USB drive thing? It costs like $50 apparently
Last edited by Tmusician at Dec 18, 2011,
sounds like you need to gain stage better. you're clipping somewhere along the line
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
You can mix the DI and amp sim in Pod Farm. Just go to the levels tab and for each tone there will be a knob for DI & delay. It comes in handy for recording bass. I've been using the Ampeg sim from Amplitube recently and really like it.