I'm thinking of converting a Fender Starcaster to a hardtail. Will I need an inertia block or are they only needed on tremelo bridges?

The current brdge is chrome and I want to bling it up with gold hardware, so I need to change the bridge anyway, but I dont really understand what the inertia block does and whether I need to buy one as well as the new hardtail bridge.

I don't mean a trem bridge that has been blocked off with a bit of wood, or screwed down flat with five srings, but a genuine hardtail bridge like on a Robert Cray signature strat.

I said inertia block because of the confusion over calling it a trem block when adding it to a guitar that doesn't have a tremelo brdge, like my soon-to-be hardtail.
You don't need it, I don't know of any hardtail bridge that doesnt flush mount to the surface of the guitar.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
converting a trem to hardtail is a fair amount of work and will require stripping the old finish and refinishing to make it look decent. However there is a poor-man/cheat option which involves putting very tight, well fitting wooden blocks either side of the trem block so it's can't move and it transfers all the vibrations into the body for the sustain.

just for you to think about
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb

found an image for you
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Yeah dude, just set the bridge flush, 5 springs with the trem claw about 1/2 - 3/4" away from the body and then block it like shown. make sure the blocks are a snug fit, but not too tight, the starcasters tend to have a glue joint right there, and forcing the bridge in a direction might force the pickup cavity to collapse slightly. I did it on my first starcaster that I tried to mess with as a project...