Since getting a guitar with a Floyd Rose this summer, I've been crazy about all the stuff I can do with it, like divebombs and chirps and such. The problem is, I want to incorporate those cool techniques into my playing so that they actually sound musical as well, not just random shit that will make my parents regret ever helping me buy my Eclipse. My biggest influences when it comes to stuff like this are Synyster Gates, Alexi Laiho, and Dimebag. They all have really great whammy techniques that I would like to add to my playing.

So, if you guys have any ideas, suggestions of songs or good licks you'd like to share I'd really appreciate it

Cheers!
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Well, if you like Alexi Laiho, try the solo in Everytime I die. At the start of that solo, he does this cool thing where he dips the whammy bar down whilst sliding.. just listen to it, it's pretty cool.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Steve Vai's the master at using the bar to accentuate notes and make his lines more vocal as opposed to just straight-up huge divebombs - I've taken a lot of what I do with a whammy bar straight from him.

Other guys like Satch and Dimebag for example used the bar quite a bit, but I haven't seen anyone more creative with it than Vai. I'd be hard-pressed to pick just one piece of music that showcases his use of it, but check out Bad Horsie for starters.

^That's not to showcase a subtle use of the bar, by the way, it's just one of the more creative approaches to it.
Last edited by :-D at Dec 17, 2011,
I've actually heard Bad Horsie, I'll check it out for sure, as for ETID I'll do that as well.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Chirps/Flutter same thing, but DAMN! That was cool!
Quote by luxeion

That's just nuts I just play through a Spider IV, so I'll do the best I can with that stuff!
Quote by luxeion

Quote by :-D
Steve Vai's the master at using the bar to accentuate notes and make his lines more vocal as opposed to just straight-up huge divebombs - I've taken a lot of what I do with a whammy bar straight from him.

Other guys like Satch and Dimebag for example used the bar quite a bit, but I haven't seen anyone more creative with it than Vai. I'd be hard-pressed to pick just one piece of music that showcases his use of it, but check out Bad Horsie for starters.

^That's not to showcase a subtle use of the bar, by the way, it's just one of the more creative approaches to it.

+1

Whenever i hear the word Whammy bar i instantly think Vai.
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Jeff Beck really, even though he's way out of the genre.